Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - did you learn japanese in a very short amount of time?

did you learn japanese in a very short amount of time?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: did you learn japanese in a very short amount of time?

Postby myles1260 » Thu 08.28.2008 9:18 pm

^haha... That's pretty funny, but I can definitely relate to it. I am way too competitive but recently, I have taken deliberate steps to tone it down and it has definitely worked. This is the internet, so you wouldn't really be able to tell, but now, I am actually a quiet person... But with confidence. Quiet confidence, lol. I used to boast everywhere and be so loud that I was very annoying to most people, and I'm really glad I was able to change that and become a quiet, calm person. I've even eliminated the once seemingly mental need of mine to burst out with unnecessary speech. I've eliminated all unnecessary speech from my vocabulary and I don't talk very much now. It feels good.
myles1260

Postby vkladchik » Fri 08.29.2008 1:15 am

Harisenbon wrote:I think this is pretty common of all foreign populations, however.

You know, I don't think this is true. People who live in countries whose language is easy for them to learn have no motivation to become competitive, since you're basically speaking at something like near-native fluency after about a year. No point in getting competitive over that. I'm thinking about Americans in France, Spain, etc.--places whose languages share a lot of vocab with English, making them easy to learn. I've even seen sorority girls (I know there are some smart ones, but they're just rule-proving exceptions) achieve very high levels of Spanish.

I, by nature, am way too competitive about my Japanese (or about anything really)

Why "too" competitive? As long as you're winning, who cares? :twisted:
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby vkladchik » Fri 08.29.2008 1:20 am

myles1260 wrote:But with confidence. Quiet confidence, lol. I used to boast everywhere and be so loud that I was very annoying to most people &c &c &c &c

No offense, but why is it that teenagers' most favoritest topic in the whole wide world is themselves? I know, I know, self-actualization, growth, etc., but ugh, to have to listen to it as an adult. Is this what awaits me in ... less than a decade!!! when my kids become teenagers?

Oh boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy...
vkladchik

Postby myles1260 » Fri 08.29.2008 9:56 am

^haha, sorry. It's true though. Teenagers are at a point in life where they are realizing who they are and their true character is coming forth. I also said I'm a very quiet person, so I need some way to get it out, and that way is the internet.

Sorry to bore you. Also, you were a teenager once too, right? Plus, I can tell you you won't be dealing with much of it when your kids are my age, unless they like to talk their heads off. I have a VERY good relationship with my mother and we do many things together. Even exercise. I don't talk much at all though, even to my family, and that includes about myself, so I think that's a good reason to infer that you probably won't have to deal with that.
I do not take offense, but rather, I'm actually sorry to have done that and wasted your time. =p People here are so nice ^_^

vkladchik wrote:Why "too" competitive? As long as you're winning, who cares? :twisted:

^Now that's what I'm talking about. I like your attitude! :mrgreen:
myles1260

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.29.2008 10:52 am

vkladchik wrote:
myles1260 wrote:But with confidence. Quiet confidence, lol. I used to boast everywhere and be so loud that I was very annoying to most people &c &c &c &c

No offense, but why is it that teenagers' most favoritest topic in the whole wide world is themselves? I know, I know, self-actualization, growth, etc., but ugh, to have to listen to it as an adult. Is this what awaits me in ... less than a decade!!! when my kids become teenagers?

Oh boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy...

As you once tortured your parents and other adults, so too will your children torture you and other adults.. It's a cycle that has no beginning or end. Brace yourself now, because when it happens, it will be like trying to hold on to a palm tree during a hurricane.. Good luck. :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Algoze » Tue 09.02.2008 1:01 pm

vkladchik wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:I think this is pretty common of all foreign populations, however.

You know, I don't think this is true. People who live in countries whose language is easy for them to learn have no motivation to become competitive, since you're basically speaking at something like near-native fluency after about a year. No point in getting competitive over that. I'm thinking about Americans in France, Spain, etc.--places whose languages share a lot of vocab with English, making them easy to learn. I've even seen sorority girls (I know there are some smart ones, but they're just rule-proving exceptions) achieve very high levels of Spanish.

I agree with you. I have portuguese language as a native or secondary language. I felt that my motivation was diminished when I started to learn French. At the start I was really my motivated, but I soon lost my interest. It's even worse now. I'm in high-school right now. Because there were to few persons who wanted to continue learning French. It was cut of. Because of that I had only one choice and that was to start with Spanish.
I understand a good amount of what is written and said. Since this is beginner Spanish, I don't feel motivated at all...
While learning a language such as Japanese I feel more motivated since it's a lot more different than the language I normally hear. That's why I give more, when I'm learning and I get a really nice feeling when I felt I've achieved something :o .

I talked with the principal on the first time we had Spanish. Where she was a stand-in for the Spanish teacher who was sick at that moment.
Fortunely the school also has the option to use the time we would normally have german, french or spanish to use them to learn another language. Through self-study, which is kinda a let down but better than nothing :o
Algoze

Postby TheIrishSin » Tue 09.02.2008 2:22 pm

I've been "studying" Japanese for 4 years.

I'm a kindergardeners level.

Of course throw in the fact I live a hectic, school life, complete with two full time sports, multiple clubs, and relationships,
As well as major studying into culinary arts, italian, and greek....

I honestly think I'm learning at a great pace :mrgreen:
TheIrishSin

Postby vkladchik » Tue 09.02.2008 4:58 pm

For English speakers, Japanese is one of the tallest mountains out there. You're not going to summit it in the same amount of time your friends are summiting the rolling hills of the Romance languages. Just remember that even if you can't speak fluently after two years, you've still learned a lot more than they have.
vkladchik

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 09.02.2008 5:04 pm

Yes.

There's a myth that Japanese is easier than romance languages (for an native speaker of English); this seems to be largely perpetuated by people who have studied for a month and noticed there aren't many verb inflections.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.03.2008 9:24 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Yes.

There's a myth that Japanese is easier than romance languages (for an native speaker of English); this seems to be largely perpetuated by people who have studied for a month and noticed there aren't many verb inflections.

I had always heard it was one of the more difficult ones to learn. It's Category 4 as far as the military is concerned. on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most difficult and there are only 3 cat5 languages that I am aware of.. Navaho, Finnish and some other language that I can't remember right off..
two_heads_talking

Postby Ragevx1 » Wed 09.03.2008 1:26 pm

You know how you guys say that learning for decades+ is only at high school level... would that apply to high schoolers? Like Japanese as first language, do they not know the language completely even after high school?
Ragevx1

Postby richvh » Wed 09.03.2008 1:51 pm

Don't confuse native speakers with foreign language learners - the two are completely different, in how they acquire the language, and in what parts are learned in what order. When people say "take decades to reach high school level" they are talking about the amount of effort put in by a foreign language learner, not a native speaker. That being said, there are aspects - parts of keigo, especially, plus specialized kanji - that for the most part aren't learned (if ever learned) by native speakers until after high school.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ragevx1 » Fri 09.05.2008 7:48 am

So the average high school graduate would have learnt what you guys learnt in these years?
Ragevx1

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.05.2008 8:45 am

Ragevx1 wrote:So the average high school graduate would have learnt what you guys learnt in these years?

That shouldn't be so surprising. would you expect someone from another country who has no experience in English to have a complete grasp of English in a few years of living in that English speaking country? In fact the average high school graduate (Japanese) will have learned more than what it spent us years to learn. Think about it, age 5 to age 18 is 13 years of schooling. If you spend 13 years of studying, you will still be far behind said high school graduate.

YMMV.. of course.
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Mon 09.08.2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Ragevx1 » Fri 09.05.2008 7:07 pm

Well I guess so... continuous learning and quick learners
Ragevx1

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion