Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - kanji/IME help

kanji/IME help

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

kanji/IME help

Postby revolutionary » Sat 08.30.2008 2:41 am

I ran into a problem while on Livemocha.com earlier today. I was on the writing section of the first lesson, and in it I had to describe people. We were only given a limited number of adjectives to work with, so one of the sentences I came up with was "kono onna no hito wa futotte imasu." Which, according to the lesson, should look like this if you write it with some kanji "この女の人は太っています。"

However IME keeps giving me this: ”この女の人はふとっています。”

If I hit the space bar and hit the return key, it just deletes the word... so my only option is to hit the down key, and the appropriate word isn't in the list. Am I typing it incorrectly (futotte)? I'm sure I don't have to include the っ because it's just there to show the double consonant, right? Maybe I set it up wrong, or my computer is crazy...
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Re: kanji/IME help

Postby richvh » Sat 08.30.2008 6:49 am

Before you hit the enter key, cursor over so ふとっています is selected (the underscore under it will be heavier) and hit the space bar again until you get 太っています.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby revolutionary » Sat 08.30.2008 11:36 am

Thank you. But no dice yet. Even if I type just "futotte imasu" by itself, it still does the same thing. I'm still just a beginner, so I was typing it piece by piece, making sure I got the section right before I typed the next one, ie Kono onna no(space bar, enter) hito wa(space bar, enter), futotte imasu(space bar, enter). It probably sounds silly, but I was running into so many issues with the IME deleting things I had worked so hard to figure out that it seemed better.

Now the IME's starting to behave strangely with other words, too. I'll type a word, pick the meaning I want, then hit enter, and as soon as I try to type another word, the last one will delete itself (and the words aren't even highlighted or underlined when they delete they're regular text and they just go away). I don't know exactly what's going on, but I think I'm going to uninstall IME and reinstall it to see if that fixes anything.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby richvh » Sat 08.30.2008 11:56 am

Now type "fototteimasu" and hit space bar twice. It should bring up a menu of up to nine choice (should be 4 choices with this input) and you'll be able to choose 太っています from the list.

You can also take a look at this page, which has I think about the best explanation (with illustrations) of how to set up and use the IME. The part you need to look at is toward the bottom.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby revolutionary » Sat 08.30.2008 10:17 pm

Thanks again. I tried it one more time. Typed "futotteimasu" and hit space twice. A list popped up, but before I could do anything, it deleted automatically. I'm thinking it's a bug of some sort. I figured I was doing something wrong, but what you're telling me to do is pretty much what I've been doing this whole time :? . It figures. Computers are so irritating. Thanks for the link, though. I actually went to that page, or a very similar looking page, when I first set the IME up. I'll reinstall following the tutorial there and then see how things go.

EDIT:I reinstalled and it works now! 太っています! 

やった!...kind of.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)