Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - new mmo

new mmo

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Re: new mmo

Postby Ukeath » Tue 06.10.2008 8:37 pm

Lol, I guess he did.
I feel dumb. :oops:
Ukeath

Postby Wakannai » Fri 08.01.2008 5:47 pm

Ok, gonna dig up this thread. I know the OP isn't around but this is still on topic.

Mabinogi by Nexom is free. I've been playing it for the last week and having lots of fun with it.

Even though it is free it does follow the Korean value-added micro-pay system. So there are some gameplay enhancements that you can buy, but are not obligated to. Many of the pay enhancements are actually sold for in-game gold to other players.

Graphics are very anime. It's not anime influenced like other games, this one deliberately attempts to make everyones character look an anime character.

The main thing I like about it is that gameplay is player skill over everything. Your personal ability matters more than your equipment or your character level. I know that lots of people go and buy max level characters and then go around owning newbies on other games. In Mabinogi you could probably find a site to buy a pre-made character too, but if you come on thinking you can own low level characters, you will be seriously surprised. A level 1 player--who knows what he is doing, can beat a level 100 player who does not. Unfortunately, since the game is based more off player skill, it is more sensitive to lag than other games.

I found out about it in an MMORPG magazine that reviewed it. I thought it would be pretty cool to play a game where your character could get fat from eating too much and could write songs to play with the instruments available. It's also cool walking on a crowded street and no two characters look the same. I actually recognize people based on their outfit. That is very different from other MMOs I've played.
Wakannai

Postby richvh » Fri 08.01.2008 6:45 pm

Here's the Japanese version site.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Wakannai » Sat 08.02.2008 12:47 am

Thanks for correcting my DUH! moment Rich.

I can't even attempt the Japanese version, because I'm using Home Premium edition of Vista. That little box to set all programs to accept IME, well, it only comes with ultimate edition, and I haven't budgeted the extra $150 to upgrade. It seems like a lot to pay for one function, since I could care less about the others.
Wakannai

Postby Benvolio » Mon 09.01.2008 2:11 pm

Wakannai wrote:Thanks for correcting my DUH! moment Rich.

I can't even attempt the Japanese version, because I'm using Home Premium edition of Vista. That little box to set all programs to accept IME, well, it only comes with ultimate edition, and I haven't budgeted the extra $150 to upgrade. It seems like a lot to pay for one function, since I could care less about the others.

Sorry to bring back an Old post. But can you get the IME with Vista Home Premium? I would like to try writing Hiragana & Katakana and i'm pretty sure I'll need to when Uni starts.
Thanks.
Benvolio

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Mon 09.01.2008 2:42 pm

According to the second reply here, you don't need Ultimate to install the IME - you can do it even on Home Basic. Not having Vista, I can't verify this.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Games