Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Google Chrome

Google Chrome

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Google Chrome

Postby clay » Wed 09.03.2008 2:39 am

Has anyone tried Google's new browser? My first impression is very positive. (I'm using it to type this now) But I haven't used it enough to know if I will use it as my primary browser.

I love the auto search feature when typing a URL or search term. So far the only problem I've had is it doesn't display the single Friends picture :lol: Not a major deal, but it may have something to do with iframe or the default browser security setting...
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: Google Chrome

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.03.2008 9:12 am

I just downloaded it last night on my laptop. I am not using it currently, but I will let you know what I think in a few days as I have a chance to use it some.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby vkladchik » Wed 09.03.2008 9:47 am

I tried it for a couple of hours yesterday, and not only did it not provide an improvement over Firefox, but it actually had a lot of bugs.

First, it wouldn't let me upload videos to my Youtube account. I would select the file to upload, hit upload, and the little circle thing on the screen would start spinning, but it wouldn't go to "(1234/2134872134) 5% downloaded..."

Second, it froze constantly. Nothing fatal, but five seconds of trying to go from one frame (tab?) to another, and it starts getting to you. Especially after that mind-numbing cartoon explanation of how it all works, it seemed like it was even worse at shutting down processes than FF.

Third, autocompletion doesn't figure very large in my Weltanschauung, and I doubt that many people care about it, so why emphasize it? Seems kind of myopically geeky of Google.

Beyond the bugs, though, which I know they will fix, the question remains: why switch over? FF works just fine, has lots of useful addons that I use all the time. Why would I give that up?
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.03.2008 2:11 pm

vkladchik wrote:
Beyond the bugs, though, which I know they will fix, the question remains: why switch over? FF works just fine, has lots of useful addons that I use all the time. Why would I give that up?

I think google is trying to win over Internet explorer users.. I know they aren't specifically targeting FireFox
two_heads_talking

Postby clay » Wed 09.03.2008 9:44 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
vkladchik wrote:

I think google is trying to win over Internet explorer users.. I know they aren't specifically targeting FireFox

I'm not sure. I bet most people who would download and use it would be Firefox users. Most people use IE because that is the default browser on their Windows computer. Most non-techies think it works why change? So I think it will split the Firefox users more than IE users.

But competition is always good. We should see a number of improvements for all three browsers. That is good.
clay
Site Admin

Postby vkladchik » Wed 09.03.2008 10:21 pm

clay wrote:Most people use IE because that is the default browser on their Windows computer.

Exactly what I was thinking.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby ニッキー » Wed 09.03.2008 10:36 pm

I haven't tried it because I can't, since I don't use Windows. Not that I think it'll ever convince me to switch though, I'm more than happy with Opera. :D The only thing Opera doesn't have that I'd really like to see is native support for ruby tags for doing things like furigana.

They say it's based on WebKit and people keep telling me that Safari for Windows is completely rubbish so hopefully there'll be a decent browser using WebKit for Windows now.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 09.04.2008 10:07 am

vkladchik wrote:
clay wrote:Most people use IE because that is the default browser on their Windows computer.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I hadn't looked at it that way. I am one of those IE users that is looking for something less clunky.. Perhaps I might be the exact crowd they are looking at.
two_heads_talking

Postby CerpinTaxt » Mon 09.08.2008 6:37 pm

When I first used it it was actually a vast improvement in speed over Firefox. The speed boost I later learnt was attributed to their V8 Java script engine, but FireFox is releasing their own in 3.1. What prompted me to stop using it was the lack of addons which I collect almost religiously for Firefox. On top of that their add blocking software is not that advanced. Their tabbed browsing is a step in the right direction but takes up more processes from what I saw. It is still in beta and I hope it continues to get better. I might just switch if i can replace some of my addons.
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby clay » Mon 09.08.2008 8:39 pm

CerpinTaxt wrote:When I first used it it was actually a vast improvement in speed over Firefox. The speed boost I later learnt was attributed to their V8 Java script engine, but FireFox is releasing their own in 3.1. What prompted me to stop using it was the lack of addons which I collect almost religiously for Firefox. On top of that their add blocking software is not that advanced. Their tabbed browsing is a step in the right direction but takes up more processes from what I saw. It is still in beta and I hope it continues to get better. I might just switch if i can replace some of my addons.

Yeah, they apparently still have quite a lot to add to it. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Jetsi » Tue 09.09.2008 2:04 pm

I have been using Chrome for a few days now, and I am mostly positive about it. I never made the jump to Safari or Firefox but I took a chance on Chrome mainly because I was curious about the mobile apps that will interface with it. So my comparisons are to IE and nothing else.

I had one session where it did continuously give me the Aw Snap :roll: message, but a reboot took care of that. It does seem faster depending on certain sites, and I like the look, search, and bookmarks. The one thing I don't like about it is everything has to be saved. If I want to get a small program downloader running I would normally just run the file, but Chrome makes me save it to run it. Not that big a deal unless you are downloading lists for BYKI and each one has a separate downloader. :evil:
Insert some witty and relevant quip here.
Jetsi

Return to General off topic