Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I wanna live in a more pure culture, like JAPANs

I wanna live in a more pure culture, like JAPANs

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: I wanna live in a more pure culture, like JAPANs

Postby BrianM » Thu 08.28.2008 11:30 am

I would wonder what his wife would have to think of this. Tell him about all the process he would need to go through to become a citizen, visa, actually getting a job, etc. It'll be hard but it can be done. But it can only be done if he has a good head on his shoulders and really knows what he's getting himself into.

One more thing, how long has he "loved" Japan?
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 09.08.2008 10:19 am

Just curious, what do you mean when you say ' I wanna live in a more "PURE" culture, like Japan's '
Ragevx1

Postby Sairana » Mon 09.08.2008 2:34 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Just curious, what do you mean when you say ' I wanna live in a more "PURE" culture, like Japan's '

... did you even READ my original post, or just the title?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby distantsmoke » Wed 11.19.2008 2:55 pm

[quote="Sairana
I have this friend. He claims he's sick of America, and wants to live in a "pure culture". He plans to be a translator.
[/quote]

I think your friend should live in a different culture for a while. Really live there, not in an "American enclave", where he is surrounded by "America" where ever he goes.

It amazes me that people who have so much can be so dismissive of the fruits of their ancestors labours.

I lived in South Korea in the early 70's when I was a teenager. I quickly learned to appreciate simple things like indoor toilets (as opposed to a wooden shed built over a river with a hole in the floor). I learned to appreciate that both my parents didn't have to work 14 to 16 hour days at hard labour to provide for me and my sisters. I learned to appreciate that my parents could afford to put food on the table every day. Many of the Koreans we knew then admitted they only ate one meal a day, unless they ate a meal with us.

My father hired a Korean woman to help my mom around the house. I was surprised because his usual mantra was that my sisters and I were all the help Mom needed. He explained that this woman's husband had served in the South Korean army during the war. That he had been crippled, and if she didn't have a job, they wouldn't eat. She cooked dinner for us every day. Daddy taught her to make large meals, more than our family could eat. Then he would ask her to take the extra food home with her. Daddy also "overpaid" her. He said the extra money was because of us girls always making messes. But then we had to clean the house before she arrived, so her work would be easier.

I didn't mind. I was used to housework. And I was proud of my Dad for giving her a good wage and and finding a way to "honorably" feed her and her husband, in a way that wouldn't insult their pride. And Mrs. Yuun was a good woman who treated me as if I were her own daughter. She didn't have to.

It makes my blood boil when I hear of whiny Americans who think America is not a good place. And you can tell your friend that there is no such thing as a pure culture. Even Japan is no longer as "homogenized" as it once was. People are people every where you go. There are good ones and bad ones. And I personally don't think any one culture is better than any other. Each culture grew in response to a unique set of circumstances.
distantsmoke

Postby keatonatron » Wed 11.19.2008 3:47 pm

I can see you saw the "distant smoke" of this old thread and decided to revisit it.

I don't have a problem with people who say "America isn't for me; I want to live somewhere else" and then go on to work towards being able to live in a locale of their choosing. In fact, that's exactly what I did :) I don't at all think America is bad, I simply like Japan better and think it fits my lifestyle.

One thing I can not stand is the people who expect the locale of choice to do all the work for them. They leave America, show up in Japan and say "Okay, I'm here, now fix my life for me".

If the person mentioned in the original post successfully learns enough Japanese to become a translator (possibility of success: 0.1%), and wants to come to Japan because they think they will be happier here, and not just because "America sucks", then I'm willing to support their ambitions.

I feel very privileged to be from America. If I had a grown up in any other country, I have a feeling I would never have been able to travel the world and pick which country I want to live in.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby cocosushi » Thu 11.20.2008 2:35 am

Pure culture hahha he's in that honeymoon stage where he thinks everything in Japan is glamorous :lol: Well just give him this link http://www.lossesintranslation.com/stag ... ration.php <-- That's right the stages of culture shock and yes he will go through! Everyone goes through it I'm in the adjusting stage right now but I have to admit Japan has a lot of history and it is very pretty esp. Kyoto but he'll start to see the negative side of Japan. I wouldn't say I love japan but I like it a little bit better than my hometown. I'm not one of those people that diss on their hometown and then after being gone say I love this place Nah, I keep it real! :wink:
cocosushi

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan