Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - The last accent thread you'll ever need.

The last accent thread you'll ever need.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: The last accent thread you'll ever need.

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.10.2008 12:42 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Substituting Japanese vocabulary into English sentences, complete with things like -ing, -s, -ed, really is a great way to internalize vocabulary and reduce the need to translate J-E or E-J in your head during Japanese conversation. In effect the words just become new synonyms and your brain will treat them like newly acquired English words, or so I think.

The problem is that done out loud or in posts, it is highly annoying to others.

We used to do that frequently as missionaries.. In order to help the newbies learn new words, we would use -ing and such ending while using the Japanese word. In most cases it helped, for some it just muddied the learning curve waters even more. The one problem is that some words just get cut short.. For example O'furo would become fud, doryou (companion) would become dod. The odd thing is that fud would be pronounced like Elmer Fudd but dod would be pronounced like load. So, in many cases, Englishized words wouldn't help at all.

But when benkyo shita become benkyo'd and other such nonsense, at least the main part of the word was still unadulterated. Come to think of it, the more I try to remember those senkyoshigo shenanigans, the more I am glad I can't seem to remember them all.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Hiiro Yui » Thu 09.11.2008 12:18 am

Thanks for all your responses.

I am going to combine all the details I can find on the internet and write them here so that gaps in my knowledge can be filled and mistakes can be corrected.

I wonder if someone can provide some details on intonation, as defined here, or details on kugireme, mentioned at the bottom of this page.
Hiiro Yui

Postby katafei » Thu 09.11.2008 6:03 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Substituting Japanese vocabulary into English sentences, complete with things like -ing, -s, -ed, really is a great way to internalize vocabulary and reduce the need to translate J-E or E-J in your head during Japanese conversation. In effect the words just become new synonyms and your brain will treat them like newly acquired English words, or so I think.

I kinda like it, actually.....

and I can only begin to imagine what your wife would think you might need a bandanna for :mrgreen:
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.12.2008 12:21 pm

katafei wrote:

I kinda like it, actually.....

and I can only begin to imagine what your wife would think you might need a bandanna for :mrgreen:

To keep his wits about him.. Otherwise his head would just explode. Image
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby john2 » Thu 09.25.2008 5:49 pm

I thought such a project already existed!
two_heads_talking wrote:

We used to do that frequently as missionaries.. In order to help the newbies learn new words, we would use -ing and such ending while using the Japanese word. In most cases it helped, for some it just muddied the learning curve waters even more. The one problem is that some words just get cut short.. For example O'furo would become fud, doryou (companion) would become dod. The odd thing is that fud would be pronounced like Elmer Fudd but dod would be pronounced like load. So, in many cases, Englishized words wouldn't help at all.

But when benkyo shita become benkyo'd and other such nonsense, at least the main part of the word was still unadulterated. Come to think of it, the more I try to remember those senkyoshigo shenanigans, the more I am glad I can't seem to remember them all.

that woudl make my head explode.
john2

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)