Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - E-dictionary

E-dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

E-dictionary

Postby hackules » Sun 09.14.2008 6:58 pm

I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!
hackules
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Postby richvh » Sun 09.14.2008 7:10 pm

What exactly are you looking for, Japanese- English dictionaries? Japanese-Japanese dictionaries? English-Japanese dictionaries?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Postby vkladchik » Mon 09.15.2008 5:10 pm

hackules wrote:I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!

They've got this, but it's not free.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
User avatar
vkladchik
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri 08.08.2008 3:28 pm
Native language: Spanish

Re: E-dictionary

Postby clay » Mon 09.15.2008 8:16 pm

vkladchik wrote:
hackules wrote:I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!

They've got this, but it's not free.


That's the unabridged Genius E-J, but the J-E only has 69,000 entries. (compare with the Kenkyusha J-E with 480,000)

Still, if you want a professional dictionary for your computer, $124 isn't bad.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
User avatar
clay
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri 01.21.2005 9:39 am
Location: Florida

Re: E-dictionary

Postby hackules » Thu 09.18.2008 3:30 am

Arigatou gozaimashite minasan;
Actually; I need a J-E-J dictionary :!: . I have just downloaded Meikyo; and I'll download Genius a bit later and give it a try (too large file :shock: ).
As described; Genius gives examples and grammar hint and that's exactly what I'm looking for :idea: .
hackules
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Postby richvh » Thu 09.18.2008 5:33 pm

WWWJDIC is a J-E dictionary that is usable in reverse, with example sentences. There are a number of offline interfaces available for the core dictionary, some of which include the example sentences.

Eijiro, available online at ALC, is an E-J dictionary that is usable in reverse, with a multitude of example sentences. The dictionary is downloadable (from a different site), but you'll need an agent in Japan (if you don't have a Japanese address) to purchase the decryption key.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Postby chikara » Thu 09.18.2008 8:43 pm

richvh wrote:WWWJDIC is a J-E dictionary that is usable in reverse, with example sentences. There are a number of offline interfaces available for the core dictionary, some of which include the example sentences......

JBrute is one of those offline interfaces and is what I have installed on my laptop for offline use. JBrute is free.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: E-dictionary

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 09.22.2008 2:12 am

...and so is Wakan

:mrgreen:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
User avatar
sushi4ever
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu 12.29.2005 4:24 pm
Location: Germany
Native language: German

Re: E-dictionary

Postby hackules » Wed 09.24.2008 3:38 pm

wow.... I never realized that there are so many Japanese dictionaries on the internet!!
Thank you everyone
hackules
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm


Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests