E-dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?
Post Reply
hackules
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm

E-dictionary

Post by hackules » Sun 09.14.2008 6:58 pm

I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!

richvh
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: E-dictionary

Post by richvh » Sun 09.14.2008 7:10 pm

What exactly are you looking for, Japanese- English dictionaries? Japanese-Japanese dictionaries? English-Japanese dictionaries?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語

User avatar
vkladchik
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri 08.08.2008 3:28 pm
Native language: Spanish

Re: E-dictionary

Post by vkladchik » Mon 09.15.2008 5:10 pm

hackules wrote:I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!
They've got this, but it's not free.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\

User avatar
clay
Site Admin
Posts: 2811
Joined: Fri 01.21.2005 9:39 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: E-dictionary

Post by clay » Mon 09.15.2008 8:16 pm

vkladchik wrote:
hackules wrote:I am now using Babylon dictionary, but I can't find glossaries in Japanese as good as those in English and French. Do you know any other than Babylon dictionary; like Oxford's, Cambridge's, Webster's and Robert's?!
They've got this, but it's not free.
That's the unabridged Genius E-J, but the J-E only has 69,000 entries. (compare with the Kenkyusha J-E with 480,000)

Still, if you want a professional dictionary for your computer, $124 isn't bad.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone

hackules
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Post by hackules » Thu 09.18.2008 3:30 am

Arigatou gozaimashite minasan;
Actually; I need a J-E-J dictionary :!: . I have just downloaded Meikyo; and I'll download Genius a bit later and give it a try (too large file :shock: ).
As described; Genius gives examples and grammar hint and that's exactly what I'm looking for :idea: .

richvh
Posts: 6480
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: E-dictionary

Post by richvh » Thu 09.18.2008 5:33 pm

WWWJDIC is a J-E dictionary that is usable in reverse, with example sentences. There are a number of offline interfaces available for the core dictionary, some of which include the example sentences.

Eijiro, available online at ALC, is an E-J dictionary that is usable in reverse, with a multitude of example sentences. The dictionary is downloadable (from a different site), but you'll need an agent in Japan (if you don't have a Japanese address) to purchase the decryption key.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語

User avatar
chikara
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male
Location: Australia (SA)
Contact:

Re: E-dictionary

Post by chikara » Thu 09.18.2008 8:43 pm

richvh wrote:WWWJDIC is a J-E dictionary that is usable in reverse, with example sentences. There are a number of offline interfaces available for the core dictionary, some of which include the example sentences......
JBrute is one of those offline interfaces and is what I have installed on my laptop for offline use. JBrute is free.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there

User avatar
sushi4ever
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu 12.29.2005 4:24 pm
Native language: German
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: E-dictionary

Post by sushi4ever » Mon 09.22.2008 2:12 am

...and so is Wakan

:mrgreen:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com

hackules
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun 09.14.2008 5:46 pm

Re: E-dictionary

Post by hackules » Wed 09.24.2008 3:38 pm

wow.... I never realized that there are so many Japanese dictionaries on the internet!!
Thank you everyone

Post Reply