Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Favorite Japanese Language Anime??

Favorite Japanese Language Anime??

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Favorite Japanese Language Anime??

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 10.24.2005 10:09 pm

Just wondering what's some good NON ENGLISH anime. I got Samurai 7 recently, and that has been pretty good. Peacemaker is ok, but kinda more for kids. As everyone probably knows, I'm crazy about Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop. Anyway, just kinda looking for some more good Anime THAT HAS TO HAVE GOOD JAPANESE ACTORS!! I'm tired of watching monsters and aliens who babble on forever with no emotion. I'm also tired of silly, convoluted plot lines with NO empathetic characters (LAIN). And for some reason, I just can't get past the fact that Inuyasha's a dog/boy. I know I've heard it's good, but I just can't get into the AS version so I'm not about to buy the DVD. Mugen may act like an animal sometimes, but he doesn't have dog ears or a tail. And Ein actually is a dog even if he's a really smart superdog.
Shibakoen

RE: Favorite Japanese Language Anime??

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.24.2005 10:18 pm

JIn, king of bandits is pretty interesting, from what little I've watched. It's definately aimed towards kids, but it's still a nifty fun little anime.

I also recommend crayon Shinchan. If you haven't seen it, you definately need to check it out.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 10.24.2005 10:42 pm

What're they about? Sorry, someone recommended Ghost in the Shell 2 without explaining the story and I didn't make it 10 minutes through the movie before I took it out and threw it away.
Shibakoen

Postby CajunCoder » Tue 10.25.2005 12:48 pm

Try to find "The Scrapped Princess". Its a great, not-so-well-known anime. I found some fan-made subs for it, which are great - because they translated it much more accurately, and directly than official subs usually do (even left name suffixes in there, such as -san/-kun/-sama). Its great for practice, every now and then I'll go back and watch it over again and be able to comprehend more and more words... I'm even getting to the point where I can understand entire sentences occasionally =O

Another good one, if you've ever played a MMORPG game, is .hack//sign. Its a bit weird, and I didnt like the ending, but otherwise a *great* anime... I must warn you however, NEVER watch it in english!
Last edited by CajunCoder on Tue 10.25.2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Kates » Tue 10.25.2005 6:10 pm

"Scrapped Princess" is licensed and available in stores--and most likely in a good rental store.

Sounds like you might enjoy something serious, Shibakoen. Have you heard of "Monster"? It was an 18 volume manga (I believe) that is currently being animated. I don't believe the anime is licensed, so I have no reservations telling you that a group called Anime-Kraze is currently subbing it. (They have released 65 episodes to date.) Their work is superb. Though, if you're hoping to try to understand without subtitles, unless your skill is high, "Monster" may be difficult--especially in the beginning where there are a lot of medical terms used.

A summary from Anime News Network
Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.

Perhaps you'd like to check this one out. (ANN.com summary page of Monster)
Last edited by Kates on Tue 10.25.2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby Sachi » Tue 10.25.2005 8:08 pm

"Fruits Basket" is really great (in my opinion) although I enjoy the manga more. I've watched it dual-language. The only thing is Yuki's voice is played by a woman.... ack.
Sachi

Postby stanggirl70 » Fri 10.28.2005 1:34 am

Naruto is by far the best anime I have seen in a long time, and my husband and I watch quite a lot, dattebayo. :D
I am at one with my Hello Kitty problem.

>^..^<
stanggirl70

Postby mandolin » Fri 10.28.2005 12:59 pm

Elfen Lied. :)
mandolin

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 10.31.2005 12:04 am

Thank you very much for the advice y'all. Next time I'm in Best Buy I'm definitely going to look for these titles, and I'm going to have to check out those webs.
Shibakoen

Postby nprz » Mon 10.31.2005 12:15 am

An interesting anime movie that comes to mind is: Perfect Blue.
If you are under 18, then it is probably not appropriate though.
Serial Experiments: Lain is an interesting series.
Trigun is entertaining as well. People have said good things about GTO (I've only watched the live action drama of it, which I recommend).

When someone says Anime to me though, I think in Japanese, not English. Oh, if you haven't seen the movies by Miyzaki, then I recommend you see those. I'd only watch the ones in Japanese, although the English version of Princess Mononoke isn't terrible.
nprz

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 10.31.2005 12:30 am

Ha, don't worry, I'm 26 so really anything is appropriate. I hated Lain. Maybe it was just too dark for me, but there was just nothing to draw me into that series.
Shibakoen

Postby moumantai » Sun 11.20.2005 9:45 am

these are my favorites

naruto of corse
bleach
ah my goddess ova and the series
rozen maiden and tramend
wolfs rain i love the dub and the sub too
samurai deeper kyo i love the sub and the dub
digimon all four seasons i love the sub and the dub
Last edited by moumantai on Sun 11.20.2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
moumantai - it means take it easy
moumantai

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Sun 11.20.2005 3:32 pm

sailor moon. classic anime! :D
my favorite animes are rurouni kenshin and dot hack sign... and naruto.
GyakuGirePanda

Postby huskobon » Thu 12.08.2005 7:40 pm

One Piece, and not the english one. The fansub version is still the best. The english version has so many holes in the story.
huskobon

Postby hlover100 » Thu 12.08.2005 7:45 pm

Here are my faves
Chobits
Saiyuki
One Piece
Yu-Gi-Oh
Cardcaptor Sakura
XXX Holic
Paradise Kiss
and I'm sure there are MANY others