Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 名物 - Meibutsu

名物 - Meibutsu

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: 名物 - Meibutsu

Postby vkladchik » Mon 09.22.2008 11:08 am

is it cool to be doing someone's homework for them like this?
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.22.2008 11:25 am

vkladchik wrote:is it cool to be doing someone's homework for them like this?

NO, doing someone's homework is called cheating...
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 09.22.2008 3:33 pm

pippa wrote:*What are some of Kyoto's meibutsu?

Maiko. :twisted:

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Sairana » Mon 09.22.2008 3:49 pm

Is getting input from real people considered cheating? Is it different if s/he gets live answers as opposed to finding them in a book somewhere?

I realize its a fine line, but the types of questions presented here, if they are for homework at all, are well suitable for interview-style research.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby pippa » Mon 09.22.2008 7:58 pm

Just for everyone's information, I'm not asking these questions for "homework". I happen to have an interest in meibutsu, and apart from wikipedia and random Japanese blogs that give no more information than how oishii and umai certain meibutsu are, there aren't too many sources which offer decent information about meibutsu. Most books about the subject are either recipe books or travel books. I was sort of seeking people's personal anecdotes about and experiences with meibutsu, to find out how concrete a concept meibutsu is.

Vkladchik: Judging from your comments on the forum, you've been to Japan. Have any comments or stories about meibutsu?
pippa

Postby chikara » Mon 09.22.2008 8:53 pm

pippa wrote:...... Hmmm...I haven't heard of any of them...Can you name any Victorian/ southeastern Australian meibutsu?

There are only two good things that come out of Victoria, VB and the road to Adelaide :P :lol:

BTW, although there are Streaky Bay oysters I meant to put Coffin Bay Oysters as they are more famous.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby pippa » Mon 09.22.2008 9:04 pm

chikara wrote:There are only two good things that come out of Victoria, VB and the road to Adelaide :P :lol:

Unfortunately, being from eastern Victoria, I don't have much to say about South Australians...If only you were Tasmanian... :twisted:
pippa

Postby chikara » Mon 09.22.2008 9:13 pm

pippa wrote: Unfortunately, being from eastern Victoria, I don't have much to say about South Australians...If only you were Tasmanian... :twisted:

If I was Tasmanian I'd have two heads and that user name is already taken :lol:

If you are from eastern Victoria why are you asking me about meibutsu from Victoria :?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby pippa » Mon 09.22.2008 9:25 pm

chikara wrote:
If you are from eastern Victoria why are you asking me about meibutsu from Victoria :?

Because I can't think of any...certainly in Gippsland we don't have anything that other parts of Australia don't have (except for giant earth worms?!). I'm not too sure about western Victoria because I haven't really been there (sad but true). Maybe the things sold at the bakery in Beechworth could be considered meibutsu, but really it's the bakery itself that draws the crowds (making it more a meisho than a shop full of meibutsu...).
pippa

Postby chikara » Mon 09.22.2008 9:32 pm

pippa wrote:Because I can't think of any...certainly in Gippsland we don't have anything that other parts of Australia don't have .....

I've had some very nice cheeses from Gippsland. Meibutsu doesn't have to be unique to an area just done very well to make it famous.
chikara

Postby vkladchik » Mon 09.22.2008 10:11 pm

pippa wrote:Vkladchik: Judging from your comments on the forum, you've been to Japan. Have any comments or stories about meibutsu?

You have to understand that the role they play within the culture is of a piece with the way Japanese culture reduces and homogenizes all cultural artefacts into neat, easily systematized categories. In the ontological taxonomy of the Japanese worldview, every object, every concept, every meme has its particular tag, and category switching is extremely rare.

In practice, this means that most Japanese people understand the world in terms of certain categories of "joushiki." For example, mention the word Kyoto in a certain context, and certain fixed categorical associations come up. Kyoto is actually a bad example because it's so broad, but say if you take Nagoya, then certain associations are de rigueur: ebi furai, miso nikomi udon, uirou (in the area of food). I'm no expert on Nagoya, but that's exactly the point of meibutsu. The locals know that there is more to the messy reality of the place they live than the neat categories outsiders think of it in terms of, but, as I say, meibutsu are a categorical reducer.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby coco » Mon 09.22.2008 11:13 pm

As you know, dietary habit of each region is based on the meteorological, geographical and cultural conditions. When we didn't have a transportation like we have it today, people ate traditional food which many generations developed.  Such foods or cuisine could be special.
For example, くさや became special product of 新島 like this.

On the other hand, Nagano prefecture is located far from sea, so people used to eat insects to get protein from them. They still have a food habit to eat some kinds of insects. Some of them became a special product of Nagano.

Many regional products can be purchased through Internet shops nowadays, but there are still some cuisines you can't get through it.

For example, いもぼう is one of the famous cuisine in Kyoto. When we want to taste it, we go to the specific restaurants in Kyoto. Traditional restaurants have their own histories and episodes. Not only food but we also enjoy atmosphere, architecture, adornment of the restaurants.
Each region has such historical restaurants or Ryokans, and going to such place is the one of entertainments of travel.

For me, tasting regional Sake(地酒) is one of purposes of travel.

I thought every country has many regional cuisines and regional specific products.

Doesn't your home country have regional special cuisines?
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby ss » Tue 09.23.2008 4:57 am

Pippa wrote:
*How connected are meibutsu and tourism?
*Do the locals purchase meibutsu, or are meibutsu mainly intended for tourists?

I realise these are fairly general questions. Please feel free to respond with specific examples or general opinions.

Anybody who enjoys wine would enjoy a trip that is revolves around wine tourism. Anybody who enjoys food would enjoy a trip that is revolves around the local traditional dishes. Anybody who enjoys culture would enjoys a trip that is revolves around the wide cultural diversity.

There are times when people need a respite from the day, these places will help ones unwind and relax. Personally, I think “eating” has gone far beyond a simple appetite. It has penetrated into our culture, language, aesthetics and economy.

My father is a Peranakan, his favourite dish is “udang masak nanas” (prawns with pineapple gravy). Peranakan food is quite similar to Malay flavour and uses many of the local spices. Whenever he travels, he will look for Peranakan Nonya restaurants in search of his favourite “udang masak nanas”!

To find a place to gather, to unwind, to savour famous food and products, the internet world has indeed made things easier to dig in, and will be the perfect bridge to get you going.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.23.2008 8:57 am

chikara wrote:
pippa wrote: Unfortunately, being from eastern Victoria, I don't have much to say about South Australians...If only you were Tasmanian... :twisted:

If I was Tasmanian I'd have two heads and that user name is already taken :lol:

:mrgreen: touché
two_heads_talking

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan