Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Plan for Learning Japanese..

Plan for Learning Japanese..

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Plan for Learning Japanese..

Postby somenube » Fri 09.05.2008 5:10 pm

I have been struggling on HOW to learn Japanese for quite some time. I tried to come up with a plan and came up with this:

Goal: To reach JLPT2 level and be able to pass with at least a 60% (I am not going to take the real test but buy a book with the test and test myself)

Time: 20 Months starting this school year

Where I am at now: almost done with Genki 1 and JLPT4 level with some JLPT3 vocab and grammar along with kanji.

How I am going to get there: Go through Genki 1 and 2 everyday in two 30 minute sessions by myself, go to a night class once a week, memorize 10-15 kanji a day with Heisig, which I haven't started yet, (and it may seem alot of memorization to do 15 kanji a day but I basically know most of the 3JLPT kanji and I am just learning the English meaning and how to write them) listen to only Japanese music, reading books in Japanese (I bought Japanese readers around my level but I will try to read other books by looking up every other word in a dictionary) watch Japanese movies, and basically immerse myself in a environment where I think and interact in Japanese much as possible.

Is there anything I am doing\going to do thats wrong? Any advice or warnings before I attempt this? Thank you so much for your time! :mrgreen:
somenube

Re: Plan for Learning Japanese..

Postby Dehitay » Fri 09.05.2008 6:35 pm

Definitely nothing wrong, but if you want extra suggestions, what immediately pops into my head is constructing sentences in Japanese. A while back I tried making a story similar to the way richv made Yuki no Monogatari, but it kind of came to a dead end rather quickly as I got bored with the storyline myself. However, writing it caused a lot of vocabulary to get ingrained into my skull as well as using grammatic structures that I previously hadn't used before.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby ニッキー » Fri 09.05.2008 7:23 pm

I would suggest setting some more intermediate goals, 20 months is quite a long time, it'll probably be much easier and more satisfying to work towards smaller goals each month or so. There are about 20 chapters altogether in Genki, aren't there? That would give you, for example, a goal of finishing chapter 1 by the end of the first month, chapter 2 by the second month, etc.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 09.06.2008 7:49 am

ニッキー wrote:I would suggest setting some more intermediate goals, 20 months is quite a long time, it'll probably be much easier and more satisfying to work towards smaller goals each month or so. There are about 20 chapters altogether in Genki, aren't there? That would give you, for example, a goal of finishing chapter 1 by the end of the first month, chapter 2 by the second month, etc.

Genki has 23 chapters but I think that doing only one chapter per month is ridiculously insufficient. The lessons aren't dense enough to fill up a whole month with study material, believe me. What you can do is that you go through one chapter per week (or 2 weeks, depending on your speed and determination) and at the end of the month review everything you did so far... at least that's how I used to do it (and will do again) and it worked great for me. (I had a time when I went through one chapter per day during the holidays but I didn't have enough time to sustain my achievements, so everything went down the drain again, hence the need to re-learn everything)

Just a suggestion though :wink:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby ニッキー » Sat 09.06.2008 8:47 am

sushi4ever wrote:Genki has 23 chapters but I think that doing only one chapter per month is ridiculously insufficient. The lessons aren't dense enough to fill up a whole month with study material, believe me. What you can do is that you go through one chapter per week (or 2 weeks, depending on your speed and determination) and at the end of the month review everything you did so far... at least that's how I used to do it (and will do again) and it worked great for me. (I had a time when I went through one chapter per day during the holidays but I didn't have enough time to sustain my achievements, so everything went down the drain again, hence the need to re-learn everything)

Yeah, I agree that a month is going to be too long. It was an example of what I mean by setting more intermediate goals, it's up to somenube to decide just how much they should do every month. :)
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby somenube » Sat 09.06.2008 4:34 pm

Thanks for all of your replies!

Dehitay wrote:Definitely nothing wrong, but if you want extra suggestions, what immediately pops into my head is constructing sentences in Japanese. A while back I tried making a story similar to the way richv made Yuki no Monogatari, but it kind of came to a dead end rather quickly as I got bored with the storyline myself. However, writing it caused a lot of vocabulary to get ingrained into my skull as well as using grammatic structures that I previously hadn't used before.

If I were to construct sentences that I don't know how to say, I would just make gibberish. How would that help me? Or do I just look up new words and use those in new sentences. Please elaborate, it sounds very interesting. :D

If I were to complete a chapter a week, I would finish Genki In 6 months and have the rest to tackle Heisig and the next Genki, An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese. 14 months x 4 = 56 chapters. Is that enough to finish the book(s)? :?:
somenube

Postby craztad » Tue 09.23.2008 2:07 pm

Ha ha your plan sounds a lot better than the one i used to pass the jlpt3. I was dumb and decided to not learn the kanji until a week before the test and so i set a goal to cram 50 to 60 a day. It worked but just barely.

As for your question, isn't there only 23 chapters in the genki books or are there more than 2 books. I have only studied from 1 and 2. So unless there are more books you will probably very easily finish the books at a chapter a week. You could even do a chapter every 2 weeks and finish early. Good luck.
craztad

Postby hackules » Wed 09.24.2008 4:01 pm

hmm... Great plan, but may I suggest that you add another text book for studying the language; because I found that learning one word from more than one book makes it easier to learn and more memorable.
another thing: search for some podcasts, or any other audio course, since learning words using your ears emphasizes what you've learned from the books.
one last thing: search for Japanese people around you. even if you think that you can speak fair Japanese you'll be shocked when you try to speak it with new people, besides this will engrave words harder in your head. This will have the same effect as writing a story "Dehitay's suggestion".
good luck
hackules

Postby Sairana » Wed 09.24.2008 4:42 pm

hackules wrote:hmm... Great plan, but may I suggest that you add another text book for studying the language

Gah... I always recommend AGAINST using more than one textbook to avoid confusion. If it's definitions you want more input on, use dictionaries.

Different textbooks tackle grammar in different orders, and cause great frustration to the newbie student. You get the "Book A says this and book B says that" syndrome. Pick a textbook and use the heck out of it.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby kyubisharingan » Thu 09.25.2008 4:07 pm

20 months in definately too long. You can finish GENKI 1 in about 6 or 7 months taking it nice and slow if you have other obligations to take care of such as school, job, etc.
kyubisharingan

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips