Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - mangas vs. novels

mangas vs. novels

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: mangas vs. novels

Postby Infidel » Fri 10.28.2005 7:27 am

None of us acted it out. We just recited it as fast as we could. Like how you might say the abc's really fast if you forgot what was between p and r.

We didn't analyze it or anything. We just recited it and the teacher was only concerned that whe had the words right. I got a 100 for that assignment.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Kates » Fri 10.28.2005 9:30 am

Having kids recite stuff like that is bunk. What's it for? My husband had to do that in a college Shakespeare class and it was STILL a stupid idea. Unless you want to be an actor, there's no point in memorizing a Shakespeare soliloquy for a class. What a big waste of time--sitting there listening to 30 students recite the same speech. Teachers do stupid things sometimes... -_-
Kates

Postby AJBryant » Fri 10.28.2005 12:25 pm

We didn't analyze it or anything. We just recited it and the teacher was only concerned that whe had the words right. I got a 100 for that assignment.

In that case, the teacher dropped the ball -- and you missed a golden opportunity to pick UP the ball and do something with the exercise. :|

Having kids recite stuff like that is bunk.

I don't know about that. When I was in sixth grade, our English teacher had us memorize a few random famous historical speeches and poems. It was a good exercise in memorization (which really *is* a skill that needs to be developed), and to this day I remember them. One, in particular, has always stayed in my mind.

It was Themistocles' admonition to the Greeks before the battle with the Persians at Salamis: "In every man, there are two men: one base, and one good. We shape our lives as we choose between them. The easy way is cheap but the man so defeated pays for his choice as long as he lives, while he who chooses to be brave and risk the prize of the good life will die with glory, or live in honour. This is our choice today."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Kates » Fri 10.28.2005 3:18 pm

Tony: There's a difference between a speech like that, and Hamlet's soliloquy though, don't you think? This speech you wrote seems to have some great life-lesson that you learn upon studing it--not that Hamlet doesn't make a lot of sense in what he said... I just see a lot more value in a kid remembering that short speech of Themistocles' than Hamlet's long one...

Okay, yes, you're right. Memorization IS a skill that needs to be learned and practiced. But isn't 1000 words from Hamlet a little much? I suppose when teachers have a GOOD reason behind asking kids to memorize something, then I would approve... but memorizing just for the sake of memorizing, or because it's "just a great speech"... I don't see much value in it. All my husband remembers of memorizing those 1000 words is the meaning behind it... so why not just study the soliloquy itself?

And I don't think it would be bad for kids to learn/memorize some parts of historical documents in America, like the Preamble and such, or numbers/order of the Amendments to the Constitution. I think it's sad how little Americans know about their own country's history...

<_< We are totally off-topic now, aren't we?
Kates

Postby AJBryant » Fri 10.28.2005 4:15 pm

Tony: There's a difference between a speech like that, and Hamlet's soliloquy though, don't you think? This speech you wrote seems to have some great life-lesson that you learn upon studing it--not that Hamlet doesn't make a lot of sense in what he said... I just see a lot more value in a kid remembering that short speech of Themistocles' than Hamlet's long one...

Maybe it's a mindset issue, but I don't see what's so bad about memorizing a few hundred or a thousand words of Shakespeare. The English is beautiful, it's emotive, and has virtually no fat. Those soliloquies are gems of the language and considered some of the best pieces of stage craft. There's a *reason* they're so famous. Henry's exhortation to the troops before Agincourt, Hamlet's questioning of his own existence, Mark Antony's address to the Romans, Richard III's "winter of our discontent" musings.

PErhaps I'm just a ham, but I see the potential to "get inside the character" and act. You can't *act* and as a rule, you can't really properly FEEL it if you're only reading it -- you're too busy reading it to be feeling it. But if you've MEMORIZED it, you've internalized it (to an extent).

Part of the problem with Shakespeare, though, is that so few people really seem to know how to teach it -- and part of it is parsing words. How many times have you heard this:
"Romeo, Romeo, WHEREfor art thou, Romeo?"
Well, that's wrong. "Wherefor" means "why", not "where." there's also no comma after "thou.'
The line is "Romeo, Romeo, wherefor art thou Romeo?" = "Romeo, Romeo, why do you have to be Romeo (whose family is the enemy of my family)?"

Of course, if one of my teachers had asked me to memorize any Pinter, O'Neil, or Ibsen, I would have revolted. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby mandolin » Fri 10.28.2005 7:13 pm

1) Many people aren't interested in acting
2) You STILL don't get any more out of it from memorization vs reading/discussing
3) Even if you do like to act, you're certainly NOT going to get into the part in front of your less-enthusiastic classmates. They'll sit there looking bored through everyone's readings. You get up there and try to be interesting and dramatic, all you're going to evoke from your audience is a whole lot of giggling and probably some sort of lame, immature nickname that will stick to you for the rest of your school career.

:P
mandolin

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions