Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: subed or dubed

Postby Sairana » Fri 09.05.2008 1:16 am

Harisenbon wrote:
matrixkungfu wrote:And the whole effort put into lip-synking the charactors to make their speech look realistic is lost.

Most Japanese animation (especially TV) is not synced with the original Japanese soundtrack. It's a vague resemblance, but not synced like in american animation.

And I prefer to watch my anime neither subbed nor dubbed.
And just to be competitive, I unplug the video so I can't see what's going on, and turn down the volume REAL low.

That's the REAL way to watch anime. :mrgreen:

You win. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Re: subbed or dubbed

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 09.05.2008 4:18 am

Sairana wrote:The problem with dubs generally is when they actually change the content to suit the market. Changing a character's gender because they're in a gay relationship, cutting out entire scenes and having to restructure the rest of the story to not -need- the missing information, etc. If the story isn't suitable for the overseas market they're localizing for without alteration, then it probably shouldn't be imported at all, IMHO, or given the appropriate rating and change the target audience.

Only in those cases do I find dubbed versions to be INFERIOR to subbed versions.

I agree. I recently went back to the States, and my mother (who is a big anime fan) wanted me to watch the Adult Swim version of Crayon Shin-chan with her. Now, I LOVE Crayon Shinchan, so I was excited to hear that they'd finally done an English version, but I wondered how exactly they'd do it, because the gags rely so much on puns and parodying trends in Japanese culture that I thought it'd probably be incomprehensible to an American audience.

<rant>
Well, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. They in fact didn't translate it at all, just made up entirely new dialogue to match the animation. They introduced all kind of creepy and dark themes (child abuse, a psychotic character who hears voices, murder etc.) that weren't in the original in the interests of making it "edgy" or whatever. It was a completely different show, and I felt a little miffed. If they were going to change it so much, why not just draw their own #$%&"#&T% cartoon.
</rant>
Last edited by becki_kanou on Fri 09.05.2008 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Sairana » Fri 09.05.2008 4:38 am

This is a little belated, but since people have already quoted me, changing it now would be dumb... so consider this a retroactive EDIT: I meant the problem with DUBS, not Subs. :P

And thanks for the backup, Becki. :P That's really interesting on two counts... I stopped watching Adult Swim some time ago, I didn't know they had Crayon Shinchan now. Though, it looks like I won't bother watching it. I'd never read or watched any of it anyway..... so much anime, so little time... :)
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby matrixkungfu » Sat 09.06.2008 5:40 pm

I think that it would be realy interesting to watch anime that used sign language, that would eliminate need for subs/dub. It'd probly be pretty funny too.
matrixkungfu

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 09.06.2008 9:28 pm

matrixkungfu wrote:I think that it would be realy interesting to watch anime that used sign language, that would eliminate need for subs/dub. It'd probly be pretty funny too.

Why would it eliminated the need for subs? You would still need to have it translated if you didn't speak Japanese sign language. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 09.06.2008 9:44 pm

There is in fact a manga partially in Japanese sign language: 君の手がささやいてる。I don't know if it was ever made into an anime, but it was a TV drama. And as Harisenbon said they provided subtitles for the signs, as the average person cannot use/understand sign language.

Just a random note, but I studied Japanese sign language a tiny bit many years ago, as one of the schools where I was an ALT had a special class for hearing impaired and Deaf students.

It's very interesting in that it still assumes knowledge of kanji as some signs for names etc. involve making the kanji with your hands. For example for 田中 you cross the middle three fingers of each hand to resemble 田 then use the left index finger, and right index finger and thumb to make 中.

It was really fascinating to study (what language isnt'?) and I wish I had stuck with it a little more, as all I can remember now is a few greetings and how to sign my name.
Last edited by becki_kanou on Thu 09.25.2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby leonl » Wed 09.24.2008 4:35 pm

1.Dubbed, because I am not far enough in my studies to where listening to anime would do me any good. As it is pointed out here several times a day on this forum the Japanese spoken in anime is very rarely how actual Japanese people speak. So before you say listening to anime in Japanese helps you, realize that unless you are a few years into your studies and can understand natural spoken Japanese, anime will impair your ability to speak and understand Japanese.

2.Dubs are a neccessary evil. Adult swim is only two and half hours long and even then most of the dubs on there are still edited for content. What I am saying is without dubs most of us wouldn't have been introduced to any anime at all. Also I generally like to watch programs in my native language english. Because as I said earlier I do not enough Japanese
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby Kenitai » Thu 09.25.2008 6:06 am

Subs dubs... I guess it about taste, but for me I'd rather stick to subs, and not because I rather like Japanese much more.
Maybe it's just me, but I figured that in the Japanese versions they say the original lines, which is a must for me who likes reading manga.
:D I guess learning Japanese til the end is the best way to enjoy it all. No subs or dubs!:D
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 09.25.2008 6:50 am

Since it appears this thread is going to be with us for a while, perhaps one of the moderators would do us the kindness of changing "subed or dubed" to "subbed or dubbed". The error has become めざわり.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Re: soobed or doobed

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 09.25.2008 10:32 am

Mike Cash wrote:Since it appears this thread is going to be with us for a while, perhaps one of the moderators would do us the kindness of changing "subed or dubed" to "subbed or dubbed". The error has become めざわり.

I second that. Every time I see this darn thread at the top of the queue the little voice in my brain says "soobed or doobed" and it does grate a bit.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby richvh » Thu 09.25.2008 11:26 am

Well, I already changed the original post title so it won't show up as "subed or dubed" in the new posts list, but I don't plan on going through the entire thread and changing each post's title.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 09.25.2008 1:21 pm

Thank you very much. Just the main title is sufficient.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby studionightbird » Tue 09.30.2008 10:40 am

they both have their ups and downs...let me show you

Subbed;
GOOD: Great for people who want to learn japanese (me). Also the japanese voice actors can be GREAT some times.
BAD: for people who arn't quite use to sub and are to lazy to read. also sometimes a long line stays up on screen for like 1 second

Dubbed
GOOD: no need to read but site back relax and enjoy what the animation has to offer
BAD: when it comes to young girls they get an anoyying actor to do the voice. the only show that didn't do bad at a 12 yearold girl was Anita king from R.O.D.
studionightbird

Postby MMM » Tue 09.30.2008 11:40 am

RIGHTstuf is finding that their hardcore fans much prefer subbed over dubbed, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper to make (no studio time or voice actors to pay) so they have just started a subbed only line.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM

Postby sushi4ever » Sat 10.04.2008 1:03 pm

I vote for subbed as well, I've grown to hate dubs with a burning passion since all dub voices (especially the American ones) are annoying as hell.
Japanese voice actors do an awesome job on portraying characters and every dub version I've seen so far killed it all off.

But I wish I wouldn't need subs at all. Ah well, someday..... ^^
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions