Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Calpis anyone???????

Calpis anyone???????

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Calpis anyone???????

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Mon 09.29.2008 1:07 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried calpis before? I am obsessed with Calpis water and soda!!!!!

oishi !!!!!!!but I havent had real calpis before . What exactly is calpis? Has anyone tried it ?

what flavors do you like?
kyo_sora_forever

Re: Calpis anyone???????

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.29.2008 1:11 pm

I would imagine that most visitors to Japan get an opportunity to try Calpis..
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis[/url]

this link should help you some.

If you are lucky, your local asian or other global store might have it.. I have a local Global Food Market that has it, so I can get it pretty much any time I like.

http://www.calpis.co.jp/english/divisions/bev_food/bev_food3.html

this might help too..

Just as an FYI, if you use google and do some searches, you will find the answer to almost all your questions.. :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 09.29.2008 2:20 pm

カルピスウォーター is highly addictive! Our local sushi takeaway has it (for like 1.50€ per 0,5l bottle, 高いですね・・・) but カルピスソーダ is not as nice, I didn't like it at all...

edit: I bought a bottle of カルピスウォーター today and it's 2,00€ now, which equals to 2,81 Dollars, bloody hell O.o!
Last edited by sushi4ever on Tue 09.30.2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby chikara » Mon 09.29.2008 9:26 pm

kyo_sora_forever wrote:Calpis anyone???????

kyo_sora_forever wrote:.... oishi !!!!!!! ....

You appear to have a malfunctioning keyboard. :P

Is one of those exclamation marks supposed to be an "i"? It is "oishii" (おいしい) not "oishi" ;)

kyo_sora_forever wrote:.... but I havent had real calpis before . .....

There is imitation Calpis :?

kyo_sora_forever wrote:.... I am obsessed with Calpis ...
kyo_sora_forever wrote:I went to Japan as and exchange student this summer ....

You spent a summer in Japan but you did not try Calpis which you say you are obsessed with and which is readily available even, I suspect, in a "small hick town" :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 09.29.2008 11:31 pm

chikara wrote:You spent a summer in Japan but you did not try Calpis which you say you are obsessed with and which is readily available even, I suspect, in a "small hick town" :roll:

I was completely amazed that the OP's last thread reached 5 pages while I was sleeping.
Kasugai is not even 10 minutes outside of nagoya, so I don't think it really qualifies as a "small hick town."
I really have to wonder if the OP is just a troll.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Tue 09.30.2008 11:45 am

I heard that calpis soda and water are made from REAL calpis they are not REAL calpis just as pinapple flavored soda is not REAL pineapple
kyo_sora_forever

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.30.2008 1:44 pm

kyo_sora_forever wrote:I heard that calpis soda and water are made from REAL calpis they are not REAL calpis just as pinapple flavored soda is not REAL pineapple

Did you bother to look at any of the links I provided? On top of that did you even bother to do any research on your own? Perhaps you should take a few minutes to figure out what it is you are really talking about. 8)
two_heads_talking

Postby sushi4ever » Tue 09.30.2008 1:53 pm

And maybe you (the OP) shouldn't get aggravated about everything we point you to, just stick to the rules and you're more than welcome to join a normal discussion.

Infantile behaviour will most definitely not bring you far here :wink:

(And calling Mike a "jerk" in your other thread was most probably not very wise :roll: )
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby chikara » Tue 09.30.2008 7:57 pm

kyo_sora_forever wrote:I heard that calpis soda and water are made from REAL calpis they are not REAL calpis just as pinapple flavored soda is not REAL pineapple

No, but pineapple flavoured soda *is* real pineapple flavoured soda. So Calpis is *real* Calpis. Maybe you meant to say "straight" or "pure" Calpis.

You still haven't explained how someone obsessed with Calpis who spent a summer living in a "small hick town", population 300,000, which is part of the Chuukyou Metropolitan Area, population ~9,000,000, didn't manage to try Calpis. If I was obsessed with Calpis and living in a similar situation I would have tried Calpis in all its forms. Your story does not ring true. :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.01.2008 12:18 am

chikara wrote:You still haven't explained how someone obsessed with Calpis who spent a summer living in a "small hick town", population 300,000, which is part of the Chuukyou Metropolitan Area, population ~9,000,000, didn't manage to try Calpis. If I was obsessed with Calpis and living in a similar situation I would have tried Calpis in all its forms. Your story does not ring true. :roll:

I got an interesting PM telling me how wrong I was about my assertion that Kasugai isn't a small hick town. ;) I have to admit, I was wrong: it takes 22 minutes, not 20 to get to nagoya station from there.

Last time I was in kasugai, I seem to remember seeing calpis for sale. But that might just because it's sold in almost every vending machine in Japan. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 10.01.2008 12:33 am

Harisenbon wrote:Last time I was in Kasugai, I seem to remember seeing calpis for sale. But that might just because it's sold in almost every vending machine in Japan. ;)

QFT- I don't think I've ever seen a supermarket or conbini that didn't sell calpis. It's not exactly hard to find. In fact they've had it at most of the Asian groceries I've been to in the States.

edited: to fix busted quote tag
Last edited by becki_kanou on Wed 10.01.2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby MMM » Wed 10.01.2008 1:01 am

Though in the US it is called "Calpico"...for obvious reasons.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM

Postby chikara » Wed 10.01.2008 2:03 am

Harisenbon wrote:...... But that might just because it's sold in almost every vending machine in Japan. ;)

That was certainly my experience which is why I am so puzzled that someone so obsessed with Calpis couldn't actually try it when they were in Japan. Regardless of it being available in Kasugai or not I'm sure they didn't just parachute into Kasugai from where ever they originated.
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.01.2008 9:58 am

chikara wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:...... But that might just because it's sold in almost every vending machine in Japan. ;)

That was certainly my experience which is why I am so puzzled that someone so obsessed with Calpis couldn't actually try it when they were in Japan. Regardless of it being available in Kasugai or not I'm sure they didn't just parachute into Kasugai from where ever they originated.

If I could find Calpis in Oodate (in the norther part of Tohoku in the Aomori prefecture (as least I thinks its there)) there is no excuse why someone couldn't find it in Kasugi. Shoot, on my way from Sendai to Sakata, every vending machine I saw at the train stations had it.. Even the one station where we transferred from Electric train to Gas train.. Now that was a hole in the wall station if I've ever seen one. The man working the ticket booth was the only employee that I could see. He even left the booth to man the bento station.. lol

But, to reiterate, Calpis is readily available.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Wed 10.01.2008 10:47 am

Harisenbon wrote:
chikara wrote: I seem to remember seeing calpis for sale. But that might just because it's sold in almost every vending machine in Japan. ;)

For the longest time I thought Calpis and Pocari Sweat were the two national drinks....

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan