Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Is Nagoya in eastern or western Japan?

Eastern Japan
1
13%
Western Japan
2
25%
Neither
5
63%
 
Total votes : 8

Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby pippa » Wed 10.08.2008 12:28 am

So in Japanese class a few weeks back someone raised the question about whether Nagoya was in Kansai or Kanto. The teacher, after a little bit of hesitation, went with Kansai.

Now, I know that technically Nagoya/Aichi is in the Chubu region, and doesn't fit into either Kansai or Kanto proper. So my question is, is Nagoya/Aichi part of western or eastern Japan?
pippa
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun 04.03.2005 8:01 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.08.2008 12:44 am

Well, if you look at the electrical wiring of the country:
The East of Japan is all 50Hz, while the West is all 60Hz.
Nagoya (well, all of Chubu) is on the 60Hz scale, making it part of the Western Japan Electrical Grid.

I would also hesitate to say that Nagoya and the surrounding areas' accents lean more towards Kansai speech patterns than Tokyo speech patterns.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby pippa » Wed 10.08.2008 1:00 am

Harisenbon wrote:Well, if you look at the electrical wiring of the country:
The East of Japan is all 50Hz, while the West is all 60Hz.
Nagoya (well, all of Chubu) is on the 60Hz scale, making it part of the Western Japan Electrical Grid.


Very interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

I would also hesitate to say that Nagoya and the surrounding areas' accents lean more towards Kansai speech patterns than Tokyo speech patterns.


That was my impression too. My experience with Mikawa-ben is that it's quite similar to Kansai-ben (although I've read in several different places that it's said to be almost indistinguishable from 標準語). My only doubt about Aichi being in Western Japan is because of Tokugawa Ieyasu, because he established fairly significant links between Mikawa and Tokyo.

Isn't there some geographical division of Japan into east and west which runs somewhere through either Shizuoka or Kanagawa prefecture?
pippa
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun 04.03.2005 8:01 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby MMM » Wed 10.08.2008 4:08 am

In my experience, Kansai people do no consider Nagoya to be a part of Kansai and Nagoya people do not consider themselves a part of Kansai.

West Japan does not = Kansai, so Nagoya may be a part of West Japan, but that doesn't mean it is in Kansai.
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri 09.19.2008 12:16 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.08.2008 8:39 am

I voted neither as I think it's southern Japan.

(edit) although it is on the east coast or near to it anyways.. so perhaps southeastern Japan?
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby Dehitay » Wed 10.08.2008 8:49 am

When you say Kansai and Kantou like that, I immediately think of prefectures. In terms of prefectures, Nagoya is in Aichi.

But ignoring prefectures, I would say it's more in the central part of Japan. However, if you were to divide Japan in half, it would end up falling on the west half.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
User avatar
Dehitay
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri 09.08.2006 8:36 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 10.08.2008 9:27 pm

I would say neither Kansai nor Kantou. I reckon it's in central Japan.
And, Mikawa-ben isn't close to Kansai-ben. I can't understand Kansai-ben at all. It's like a foreign language to me, but I understand Mikawa-ben from living with a family in Toyohashi, Aichi-ken and speaking to their Obaachan.
User avatar
tōkai devotee
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu 08.02.2007 6:15 am
Native language: Australian!

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby pippa » Thu 10.09.2008 1:51 am

MMM wrote:West Japan does not = Kansai, so Nagoya may be a part of West Japan, but that doesn't mean it is in Kansai.


I am fully aware of that. In modern usage, Kansai does not refer to western Japan. However, my dictionary has some alternative definitions of Kansai:
a)鎌倉時代以後、鈴鹿(すずか-Part of modern day Mie)・不破(ふわ-Part of modern day Gifu)・愛発(あらち-Part of modern day Fukui)の三関所より西の諸国 - Admittedly, this definition doesn't encompass Aichi...
b)箱根の関所より西の諸国 - Going by this definition, Aichi would be part of Kansai.

tokai devotee wrote:And, Mikawa-ben isn't close to Kansai-ben. I can't understand Kansai-ben at all. It's like a foreign language to me, but I understand Mikawa-ben from living with a family in Toyohashi, Aichi-ken and speaking to their Obaachan.


Well, the dialect my hostfamilies in Okazaki and Chiryu spoke definitely had elements of Kansai-ben in it, and they taught me it as Mikawa-ben. Even though the most distinctive elements of Mikawa-ben aren't found in Kansai-ben, maybe television (especially variety shows and owarai bangumi which feature lots of people from Kansai) has had an effect on Mikawa-ben.

two_heads_talking wrote:I voted neither as I think it's southern Japan.

(edit) although it is on the east coast or near to it anyways.. so perhaps southeastern Japan?


My sarcasm/irony detector isn't sure whether to beep or not...Didn't you do missionary work in Touhoku? Considering Nagoya/Aichi is nowhere near being on the opposite side of Japan to Touhoku, I find it hard to follow your logic. Unless you're talking about 名護屋? If so, then you're spot on. Southern Japan generally refers to Kyushu.

So nobody knows of the name of the geographical division of Japan into east and west? I think it was a fault line or something...
pippa
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun 04.03.2005 8:01 am
Location: Australia

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby MMM » Thu 10.09.2008 4:08 am

pippa wrote:
MMM wrote:West Japan does not = Kansai, so Nagoya may be a part of West Japan, but that doesn't mean it is in Kansai.


I am fully aware of that. In modern usage, Kansai does not refer to western Japan. However, my dictionary has some alternative definitions of Kansai:
a)鎌倉時代以後、鈴鹿(すずか-Part of modern day Mie)・不破(ふわ-Part of modern day Gifu)・愛発(あらち-Part of modern day Fukui)の三関所より西の諸国 - Admittedly, this definition doesn't encompass Aichi...
b)箱根の関所より西の諸国 - Going by this definition, Aichi would be part of Kansai.



Like I said, Kansai people do not consider Nagoya to be a part of Kansai, and Nagoya people do not consider themselves to be a part of Kansai.

I would not use "alternative definitions".
めちゃめちゃメディア
Mecha Mecha Media

http://www.mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/
MMM
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri 09.19.2008 12:16 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Is Nagoya in Eastern or Western Japan?

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 10.09.2008 8:10 am

pippa wrote:
My sarcasm/irony detector isn't sure whether to beep or not...Didn't you do missionary work in Touhoku? Considering Nagoya/Aichi is nowhere near being on the opposite side of Japan to Touhoku, I find it hard to follow your logic. Unless you're talking about 名護屋? If so, then you're spot on. Southern Japan generally refers to Kyushu.

So nobody knows of the name of the geographical division of Japan into east and west? I think it was a fault line or something...


I suppose I should have prefaced and mentioned that the gateway to the north goes through Aizuwakamatsu.. And I always considered anything south of Tokyo as Southern.. and the Touhokujins think anything south of Aizu is southern japan.. My logic is based on Fuedal Japan I suppose. And to be honest, my missionary work didn't exactly have me studying physical locations of cities.. lol. I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just stating what I thought. I could be and probably am completely wrong.. NO sweat off my back though. :mrgreen:
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English


Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron