Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How many Kanji in "Remebering the Kanji?"

How many Kanji in "Remebering the Kanji?"

The test - experiences, questions or comments

How many Kanji in "Remebering the Kanji?"

Postby Spaztick » Mon 03.07.2005 1:27 pm

I have and am learning the Kanji from "Read Japanese Today," but after I tackle the 300 kanji in there, where should I turn to?

Some people are saying Remebering the Kanji I is a good book, but I don't want to spend 60 bucks on a review of what I already know. So my question is, how many kanji are in Rembering the Kanji I?

And if it's not too much trouble, how many are there in books II and III?

Thanks in advance!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

RE: How many Kanji in "Remebering the Kanji?"

Postby Qbe » Mon 03.07.2005 2:59 pm

"Remembering the Kanji I" covers 2042 kanji--I believe that it has all of the joyo kanji along with some which are used in names.

"RTK I" and "RTK II" cover the same ground. In RTK I you learn the meanings of 2042 kanji, and then you go on to RTK II to learn the readings of those kanji. RTK III adds another thousand or so kanji, I believe, both meanings and readings. You can see a sampler of RTK I by following this link: scroll down to the small print at the bottom where it says, "Portions of this book are available for downloading and reading with Adobe Acrobat". Click on "downloading" and you should see it.

I'm about 300 into RTK I. The structure of the Heisig method demands a strong commitment, because you're going to spend several months (or much more) learning just the meanings of the first 2000 kanji, then go back and learn the readings. Heisig advises against trying to learn the readings along with the meanings. You will not be learning the kanji in order of frequency. Rather, Heisig will introduce "primitive elements" and then kanji which use/are based on those elements. In the first 2 lessons, for example, you learn common kanji such as the numbers, but also the kanji for "stomach", "gall bladder" and "span".

Personally, I'm having fun with the Heisig method. It can be slow going (especially when you skip a few months like I did) and it can be frustrating sometimes to recognize kanji by meaning but not know how to read them. However, I'm looking forward to pushing through both books and having a good grasp on the first 2000. Don't take my word for it, though--follow that link and read the first 125 pages for yourself.
Qbe

Postby Spaztick » Tue 03.08.2005 1:07 pm

Aight, thanks. So it goes through all 2000 of the high school kanji then, cool. I just might get it, after I learn these first 300! Or, if not I can find another book that will cover the next 1000 kanji or so. I'll keep RTK in mind, but I really do want to learn the readings along with the kanji so I "master" them as I learn them, instead of knowing the kanji and then learning the readings. But, to each his own!
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 03.08.2005 1:32 pm

It seems like if you use that method, your listening and speaking abilities will not progress at all during the however many months it takes to learn the meanings of the first 2000 kanji. That could lead to not getting enough sense of accomplishment and therefore dwindling motivation. I guess you just need really good endurance for that method.
Schattenjedi

Postby Qbe » Tue 03.08.2005 3:24 pm

The Heisig method isn't meant to stand alone. You'd definitely want to use it as a supplement to whatever else you're doing. I'm using Pimsleur for speaking/listening, Heisig for kanji, and assorted textbooks and a class for grammar. It works for me.
Qbe

Postby KRed » Sat 03.26.2005 1:43 pm

I have never heard of "Remembering the Kanji" before. I am currently studying for the level 2 and will certainly be studying readings and meanings of the necessary kanji but I think I will try this RTK out and see how it goes. I find it useful to study kanji in as many different ways as possible in order to get a good overall understanding of them.
KRed

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test