Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - An exercise I did with corrections I don't understand

An exercise I did with corrections I don't understand

Japanese, general discussion on the language

An exercise I did with corrections I don't understand

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.16.2008 5:46 pm

Uhh, I don't really know what forum to post this in, so I'll post it here.

I'm doing Japanese lessons on LiveMocha, and the lessons are OK, not that great but not that bad. I know from experience with the Spanish lessons there that I should be a bit careful with applying what I learn in there to other things, but hey, it's free lessons. So I did a writing exercise, which is judged by other users. The lesson was on how to use negatives, and the lesson consisted of sentences like "I am not tall. I am short," and the writing exercise was similar: "Using both a positive and a negative attribute, describe six different people: a woman, a man, a boy, a girl, you and me. Ex. The man is not rich. He is poor." So this was what I wrote, using the phrases that appeared in the lesson:

男の人は金持ちです。貧乏じゃありません。
女の人は太っていません。やせています。
男の子は背が高くありません。低いです。
女の子は年をとっていません。若いです。
あなたは背が低くじゃありません。高いです。
僕は若いじゃありません。年をとっています。

Somebody responded giving me 4 stars for spelling, 5 stars for quality, and 4 stars for grammar:

『ありません』の部分を「ないです」と言う言葉にかえると、日常的な会話に近い発音になります。
It becomes in the word that says, need not "" the part of 'It is not' and it becomes a
pronunciation near a daily conversation with the frog.

Unfortunately, I can't understand either the Japanese or the English. Translating word for word, I can understand where the English is coming from, but I only have a slightly better idea of what it's saying. I especially don't know why pronunciation and frogs are coming up because the exercise was written, not spoken. From what the Japanese says I'm thinking she wanted me to use forms like "高くないです" instead of "高くありません" (though the lesson used the ありません forms), but beyond that I'm confused. Can anybody help?

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Re: An exercise I did with corrections I don't understand

Postby spin13 » Thu 10.16.2008 7:04 pm

furrykef wrote:『ありません』の部分を「ないです」と言う言葉にかえると、日常的な会話に近い発音になります。

If you change the "ありません" part to "ないです" it will become closer to everyday speech.

かえる is not frog, but 変える.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.16.2008 7:24 pm

Ahh, on a hunch I ran the Japanese through Excite and sure enough, that's where she got the English from: it's an exact match. No wonder it didn't make sense.

Thanks for the translation. I understand how the sentence works now. :)

Does the exercise itself look OK? The lesson distinguishes (somewhat inconsistently) between 男の人 and 男の子 ("man" and "boy" in English). Is 男の人 generally assumed to refer specifically to an adult, or is it making an artificial distinction for the sake of convenience? (It wouldn't be the first time...) What about just 男? Is there any real difference between them?

- Kef
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby AJBryant » Thu 10.16.2008 9:00 pm

It's not an artificiality. 男の子 means "boy," and 男の人 means "man."
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 10.16.2008 9:12 pm

furrykef wrote:男の人は金持ちです。貧乏じゃありません。
女の人は太っていません。やせています。
男の子は背が高くありません。低いです。
女の子は年をとっていません。若いです。
あなたは背が低くじゃありません。高いです。
僕は若いじゃありません。年をとっています。
- Kef

I agree that 〜ないです is much more likely to be heard in daily conversation, but if you do want to use 〜ありません you have a few errors there.

あなたは背が低くありません。高いです。
僕は若くありません。年をとっています。

Also IANANS but it sounds a little odd to just say 男の人 . It sounds like you're talking about men in general. Maybe この男の人 or その男の人 is better.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.16.2008 9:19 pm

Thanks for catching those mistakes. Wow, I negated adjectives three different ways: the correct way; using the -ku form with "ja"; and even using the -i form with "ja"! I suppose it's yet another reminder that knowing the rules and remembering to apply the rules are two different things... (that problem bites me all the time in Spanish!)

So what's the distinction between 男 and 男の人? Is 男 non-specific about the age of the person?
furrykef

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 10.16.2008 10:20 pm

furrykef wrote:Thanks for catching those mistakes. Wow, I negated adjectives three different ways: the correct way; using the -ku form with "ja"; and even using the -i form with "ja"! I suppose it's yet another reminder that knowing the rules and remembering to apply the rules are two different things... (that problem bites me all the time in Spanish!)

So what's the distinction between 男 and 男の人? Is 男 non-specific about the age of the person?

男の人 sounds more polite. It has nothing to do with age. This is, I believe, especially true with 女 and 女の人. If you simply say あの女 is sounds quite rude, almost insulting.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby furrykef » Thu 10.16.2008 10:23 pm

I see. Thanks! :)
furrykef

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 10.17.2008 9:22 am

becki_kanou wrote:
男の人 sounds more polite. It has nothing to do with age. This is, I believe, especially true with 女 and 女の人. If you simply say あの女 is sounds quite rude, almost insulting.

From what I remember from my times with the military, that's how they refer to streetwalkers.. Of course that might just be a social niche, but I seem to remember the Japanese soldiers saying stay away from "that (those) girl(s)" その女 and pointing to a flock of girls outside the clubs..
two_heads_talking

Return to Japanese General Discussion