Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Peace, Mr. Cash

Peace, Mr. Cash

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Peace, Mr. Cash

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 10.19.2008 12:39 am

Yes, I wrote the portion attributed to me.

That anyone is stupid enough to offer that up as some sort of conclusive proof on the origins of the term is lamentable.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Sun 10.19.2008 9:05 pm

sushi4ever wrote:
AJBryant wrote:At any rate: screw you, palm in -- peace, palm out.

Well, this is a very British gesture as far as I've encountered it, so it might be irrelevant to Americans and Japanese ......

The "two fingered salute" or the "FU2" was quite common in Oz (we inherited it from the British) but has pretty much been replaced by "the finger". George Bush senior mistakenly gave the "FU2" sign (palm in) instead of the peace sign (palm out) to a group of protesters during an Australian visit which caused quite a stir.

In the early 70's Chrysler Australia Limited (which was sold to Mitsubishi Motor Corporation in the 80's) ran a TV advertising campaign for their VH Valiant Charger which featured young adults making the peace sign to a passing Charger while shouting "Hey Charger!". :oops:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Sun 10.19.2008 9:22 pm

as an American I don't distinguish between palm-in or palm-out.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby furrykef » Sun 10.19.2008 11:25 pm

Eh? I'm an American too and I never see it with palm in (except of course in British media and such).

Just in case anybody's still unclear on it: with palm in, in Britain it pretty much signifies the same thing as the same gesture without the index finger raised. ;)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Infidel » Mon 10.20.2008 7:03 am

I never see it palm in either, but if I did, I wouldn't attach a significance to it. I'd just figure the person was too lazy to turn their wrist.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 10.20.2008 8:57 am

Infidel wrote:I never see it palm in either, but if I did, I wouldn't attach a significance to it. I'd just figure the person was too lazy to turn their wrist.

Looks like it really depends on your surroundings. Growing up very close to the UK with even a British family member sure taught me lesson in vulgar gestures, so to speak :P
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 11.07.2008 7:29 pm

Infidel wrote:I never see it palm in either, but if I did, I wouldn't attach a significance to it. I'd just figure the person was too lazy to turn their wrist.

That's weird. The palm in peace sign is actually really common now in the US. It doesn't have really the same meaning as it does in Europe, although I'm sure that's where it came from and just isn't seen as derogatory towards someone. You see it a lot in hip-hop culture. A lot of hip-hop stars do it. It's generally just a more "bad ass", or "cool" gesture than the other way.
burstandbloom

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.10.2008 10:55 am

burstandbloom wrote:

That's weird. The palm in peace sign is actually really common now in the US. It doesn't have really the same meaning as it does in Europe, although I'm sure that's where it came from and just isn't seen as derogatory towards someone. You see it a lot in hip-hop culture. A lot of hip-hop stars do it. It's generally just a more "bad ass", or "cool" gesture than the other way.

they are actually showing off the bling rings.. the ones that take 2 or 3 fingers to fit on.. it's neither cool, nor baddass.. it's just stupid.
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 11.11.2008 7:16 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
burstandbloom wrote:

they are actually showing off the bling rings.. the ones that take 2 or 3 fingers to fit on.. it's neither cool, nor baddass.. it's just stupid.

Hahaha, well I didn't mean to make it sound as though I thought it was cool. I was just saying that's just how its used.
Although you're probably right about the bling rings, and those things are ridiculous. I've seen people do it without bling rings though. Chains and watches are really more of a big thing than rings are.
burstandbloom

Postby Daniela » Sat 07.18.2009 9:08 am

This is a great forum. I found it very interesting.

Peace, Mr. Cash. LoL.

Pret immobilier
Daniela

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.18.2009 9:44 pm

Daniela wrote:This is a great forum. I found it very interesting.

Peace, Mr. Cash. LoL.

And LoL to you, Daniela.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan