Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese and Economic Humor..

Japanese and Economic Humor..

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese and Economic Humor..

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.22.2008 2:10 pm

The continuing economic slump is causing great problems not only in Britain and America but also in the important and influential Japanese banking sector.

In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

While Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

(The previous message is satirical and in no way is a cause for anyone to go jump out of a window... Unless you are a Ninja and then extreme caution is forewarned..)
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Re: Japanese and Economic Humor..

Postby richvh » Wed 10.22.2008 2:28 pm

I think the humorous piece you quoted is fairly old, but shouldn't that properly be Sashimi Bank rather than Sushi Bank that has something fishy about it?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.22.2008 2:56 pm

richvh wrote:I think the humorous piece you quoted is fairly old, but shouldn't that properly be Sashimi Bank rather than Sushi Bank that has something fishy about it?

It might be old, but I don't think I've ever seen that posted up here, so I thought I'd share it with those, like myself that might not have seen it before..

As for the Sashimi/Sushi question, I suppose that in the literal, traditionaly sense it should be Sashimi, but Sushi does use "Raw fish" too. Either way, I found it rather humorus, YMMV<<
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Wed 10.22.2008 3:10 pm

I have to admit it took me a minute to fully catch on to the joke even though I knew the names were suspicious off the bat. >.>
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Wed 10.22.2008 11:17 pm

:lol:
two_heads_talking wrote:..... As for the Sashimi/Sushi question, I suppose that in the literal, traditionaly sense it should be Sashimi, but Sushi does use "Raw fish" too. ....

Sushi Bank could conjure up images of California Rolls but I believe Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (sound like hamburger joints to me) were bank rolled from Washington.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby weirdo36 » Fri 10.24.2008 7:48 am

You should not make jokes about this :cry: I feel to unhappy with the entire exhange rate situation. I have become so poor just by not having exchanges all my euro's to yen the first day I arrived here. It went from 1 euro to 178 to 124 :S I feel so unhappy about it.
weirdo36

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 10.27.2008 10:25 am

weirdo36 wrote:You should not make jokes about this :cry: I feel to unhappy with the entire exhange rate situation. I have become so poor just by not having exchanges all my euro's to yen the first day I arrived here. It went from 1 euro to 178 to 124 :S I feel so unhappy about it.

ummm.. the joke is about the names of the institutions and word play.. besides, if one can't make fun of the harsh part of life, what is there to make fun of? We are all feeling the crunch, so, don't think for one minute you are the only poor soul out ther who is feeling it.. I just lost my house, and most of what was in it, and I still thought this funny.. care to take a piss on that would you?
two_heads_talking

Postby weirdo36 » Tue 10.28.2008 3:34 am

Well I just didn't think it was funny enough to reply with something as lol.
weirdo36

Postby chikara » Tue 10.28.2008 8:12 pm

weirdo36 wrote:..... I feel to unhappy with the entire exhange rate situation. .....

There was a story on a news and current affairs TV show here last night about a rush on USD in Japan because the Yen has hit 13 year highs against the Greenback. Apparently investors are borrowing money from Japanese banks at near zero interest rates and buying USD.

But as my bicephalic friend has pointed out the humour is in the word play not making light of the global financial crisis so lighten up :roll:

two_heads_talking wrote:.... I just lost my house, and most of what was in it, .....

That is very sad news. がんばって

two_heads_talking wrote:.... care to take a piss on that would you?

Do you mean "take the piss"?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby furrykef » Tue 10.28.2008 8:27 pm

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:.... care to take a piss on that would you?

Do you mean "take the piss"?

I doubt it. "Take the piss on that" means "to get the worst of it"; "take a piss on that" means something like "rain on that parade".

(I just realized I translated idioms with other idioms. Oh well.)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Tue 10.28.2008 8:57 pm

furrykef wrote:I doubt it. "Take the piss on that" means "to get the worst of it"; "take a piss on that" means something like "rain on that parade".

- Kef

In Australian English "to take the piss" means "to make fun of" which would have fitted in with the humour context.
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.28.2008 9:25 pm

chikara wrote:There was a story on a news and current affairs TV show here last night about a rush on USD in Japan because the Yen has hit 13 year highs against the Greenback. Apparently investors are borrowing money from Japanese banks at near zero interest rates and buying USD.

The trend is HUGE right now. They even have live sites where you can change your money into/out of yen in realtime.
But a lot of people don't want to wait for the US economy to improve, so are buying New Zealand dollars, as their rate is supposed to increase by 3% in the next year or so (according to my co-worker at least).

I've been considering it, but putting enough money into that to make it worth it just scares me.
Same reason I try not to play the stock market too much.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.29.2008 9:19 am

chikara wrote:
furrykef wrote:I doubt it. "Take the piss on that" means "to get the worst of it"; "take a piss on that" means something like "rain on that parade".

- Kef

In Australian English "to take the piss" means "to make fun of" which would have fitted in with the humour context.

I meant as furrykef mentioned "rain on my parade".. Although I am familiar with the British and the Australian meanings, I wasn't trying to be funny at that point. Now, as I look back on your response, it would have definately been right in line with my real life drama vs comic relief, I will keep that in mind in the future. In the US, pissing on something is hardly seen as a positive thing and many times it is equated to rain...

two_heads_talking wrote:
.... I just lost my house, and most of what was in it, .....
chikara wrote:That is very sad news. がんばって.

It is sad and rather emberassing as well, but I can only move forward and try not to replicate the same situation that put me in this predicament. Your concern is appreciated, thank you very much.
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Wed 10.29.2008 9:18 pm

Funny. As an American, when I hear "Take the piss" i imagine a urine sample on a counter somewhere and someone ran off with it.

Sorry to hear about your house. :(
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby fog » Thu 12.11.2008 4:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:. I just lost my house, and most of what was in it, and I still thought this funny..

Sorry to hear about the lost house. :( (I took some blows too but not that big). The real economy is certainly no fun nowadays. But I also found the joke great :lol: , it was new to me, so I just e-mailed it to a bunch of friends. Thanks for sharing it, two_heads_talking.
fog

Native language: Swedish

Return to Japanese General Discussion