Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why some of the BBcodes still aren't working.

Why some of the BBcodes still aren't working.

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Why some of the BBcodes still aren't working.

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.26.2008 5:06 pm

I wanted to let people know that the reason that most of the old BBcode tags such as
Code: Select all
[wiki][/wiki] and [spoiler][/spoiler]

aren't working is because phpbb doesn't offer a way to reparse the old posts.

I tried to install a small mod to allow me to do so, but it didn't work correctly, so I asked on the "official" topic, but didn't receive a response, so in an effort to expedite the process, I asked in #phpbb on IRC and was directed to #phpbb-mod where I was then treated like dirt, and then was banned from there and from #phpbb. Then to add insult to injury I was banned from phpbb.com as well for offending the person who was being the biggest jerk to me on the IRC channel.

So there you have it... I won't say that all PHPBB developers are that way, and I still enjoy the software... but some of the developers definitely have some growing up to do.

(It didn't matter that the mod author himself was in both of those channels, or that there is no "official" IRC channel for the mod, or for mod support that I'm aware of... they only cared that the support and mod development IRC channels have a rule of not offering mod support, so even if the author, who was in both channels, had been willing and nobody else cared, they still won't allow them to answer a question. Not that the mod author was any more mature about the situation in the end. *sigh* And given that the previous poster on the "official" thread had been given no answer in a month, I felt it worth it to at least ask. I guess I forget how rude and petty people on IRC can be.)

Wish me luck, I'll try figuring this out myself. *sigh*

UPDATE: With a snide comment not to "bite the hand that feeds me", and some further condescension etc, I've been unbanned.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Re: Why some of the BBcodes still aren't working.

Postby clay » Sun 10.26.2008 6:07 pm

Sorry to hear that! We'll survive without 'em, though.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Sun 10.26.2008 6:12 pm

I'll keep working on it.

I'm trying to track down whether or not another bug (with the RSS Syndication mod) might be causing the problem with the Reparse mod as a side effect. The RSS mod shows up twice on the MOD tab in the Admin Control Panel, and I don't think it's supposed to do that. ;)

It was doing that even before I installed the Reparse Mod, so I want to fix that first either way.

Oh, and in the meantime, if you spot one of the posts where the tags aren't being parsed, simply editing and re-saving it as a mod will fix the tags. :)

UPDATE: Still not working. I went through and completely removed the Syndication MOD and tried the Admin Reparse BBcode MOD again, but still it doesn't work. It is installed, the permissions are there etc... but the MOD simply doesn't show up. I've posted an update on the "official topic" with a picture to prove my point, but I'm still waiting for a response.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p7514945

I'm going to have to put the Syndication MOD back in shortly, so I'd rather get this taken care of ASAP.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby ss » Fri 10.31.2008 4:30 am

I wanted to let people know that the reason that most of the old BBcode tags such as

Code: Select all
and
Spoiler:

aren't working is because phpbb doesn't offer a way to reparse the old posts.

......I guess I forget how rude and petty people on IRC can be.)

I understand the problem now and appreciate all the hard work you've done. Sorry to hear that.
I can't believe there are people like that, we can live without them 、ばか!  :evil:
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Return to Problems