Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - im going to be living in japan for a year starting in july

im going to be living in japan for a year starting in july

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

im going to be living in japan for a year starting in july

Postby fereter » Sun 10.30.2005 7:42 pm

i need advise.

how should i prepare.

are japanese people really judemental about body figure, i aint overweight but i do have a bit of a stomach, is that gonna be a problem (im built as a goalie, cause i am a goalie)

also i have a canadian tattoo on my back and want to know if thats gonna be a propblem.

know of anyother websites that can help?

thanks for the help,

long time lurker, first time poster
fereter

RE: im going to be living in japan for a year starting in ju

Postby Kates » Sun 10.30.2005 9:32 pm

Before going, I suggest you sit down and really think about why you are going, and what you want to accomplish--and make sure you do it while you are there. ^_^ No regrets!

Being a bit bigger, to be honest... you might have some trouble finding clothes that fit in Japan. So I suppose you should make sure you have everything you need, or someone is able to mail you anything from home. ^_^ I'm not sure why you're asking about Japanese being "judgemental"... Why should that matter to you?

About your tattoo-- (by the way, what's a "Canadian tattoo"? XD ) I have heard that some onsen (hot springs) do not allow those who have tattoos to enter. I stress that this is NOT a fact coming from my mouth... er, my keyboard. This could be a very old custom, but I mention it just so you are aware.

I can't say I know of any websites... but Googling can't hurt you, can it? -_- There was book I read though, prior to my own trip to Japan, called Learning to Bow which you might find interesting. And I'm sure there's a truckload of other books on the subject available as well.

You're preparing quite early, aren't you? ^^; Well, I hope you enjoy your trip!
Kates

Postby Qbe » Sun 10.30.2005 9:51 pm

An acquaintance went to Japan over the summer and was not allowed to go to the onsen due to his tattoo.
Qbe

Postby nprz » Sun 10.30.2005 10:47 pm

Some onsen have rules about tattoos and some don't. You just need to find out in advance or it will be a waste of money and time.

I can't say physical type means anything more to Japanese than it does to anyone else. As Kate mentioned, finding clothes if you are big (height or weight) might be difficult. But if you don't might buying used clothes, I saw a shop in Harajuku that imported U.S. clothes, so they had big sizes (390 yen each I think).

Brush up on the language and culture, learning as much as you can about what to expect so you do not get a large dose of culture shock is a good idea.
nprz

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.31.2005 3:19 am

I agree with what Kates says, except for the book Learning to Bow. I hated that book so much, that there are no words to describe it. The man had no idea what he was talking about, and spent the entire book stating his opinions and guesses as facts.

The point where I dropped the book and never picked it up again was when he translated the phrase "Baka yarou" as "YAY!" or "WHoopee!" Apparently this had been said to him (or around him alot) and he was told that it was a sign of people being happy with his presence.

My father and mother had some issues when they came to Japan with their tatoos, but it was at a very traditional onsen. I asked the manager to make an exception, and it all worked out. I wouldn:t worry about it too much.

The ironic part was that while my father was in the onsen a yakuza with a HUGE full chest tattoo came into the onsen. *grin*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Mon 10.31.2005 8:58 am

O_o Maybe I'll have to re-read "LTB" cuz I don't remember that at all. ^^; But I'll say that he DID think some stupid, stereotypical things... but then, so do a lot of people before REALLY learning about Japan. (Hahaha, now I'm imagining someone saying "baka yarou!" in a way that would make it sound like "hooray!" and it sounds awesome! XD hehehe)

If the tattoo thing might be a problem... could someone put a big bandaid over it and pretend its an injury? XD Hari-san... your parents have tattoos... that's awesome. XD I wonder how the REAL yakuza convinced the manager to let him in? hehe...
Kates

Postby fereter » Mon 10.31.2005 12:01 pm

thatnks for the help.

and by the way my tatoo is a maple leaf with 100% canadian under it.

and i just heard stories how the japanese were judgemental but mainly only from Azrael's musings. i don't really care that much i was just wondering
fereter

Postby nprz » Mon 10.31.2005 2:28 pm

Most Japanese will forgive a foreigner's mistakes because they expect them to be ignorant about some cultural intricacies. Consider it a get-out-of-jail-free-pass (although if you do anything criminal, you don't get this pass :)) and cultural mistakes don't really work against you. If you do something good and know more about their culture, then it can only make you more popular. Same with speaking the language.

I have heard different things about speaking Korean in Korea though, but this is word of mouth, so I don't know.
nprz

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan