View topic - Japanese Milk

Japanese Milk

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Japanese Milk

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.01.2008 2:57 am

AJBryant wrote:I'm a 某 myself.... ;)

Tony

春喉。

Actually, now that you say that, it reminds me that there was a thread on this very topic a while back; and Harisenbon calls himself....searching... うち?!?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.03.2008 11:00 am

AJBryant wrote:I'm a 某 myself.... ;)

Tony

You're an Otaku and you know it.. You just haven't come out of the proverbial closet yet..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 11.03.2008 5:16 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:You just haven't come out of the proverbial closet yet..

Is that inside or outside the metaphorical closet? And where is that in terms of my virtual closet?

Ah, too many closets, so little time.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.03.2008 5:21 pm

AJBryant wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:You just haven't come out of the proverbial closet yet..

Is that inside or outside the metaphorical closet? And where is that in terms of my virtual closet?

Ah, too many closets, so little time.

the proverbial closet is indeed inside the metaphorical closet. Metaphorically speaking, it is neither virtual or actual. If you can follow quantum physics and quantum theory, you are in the quantum closet, but that can be neither proved or disproved and it is neither in the future nor in the past. It is also neither current nor congruant. And according to quantum time, you have all the time in universe, and you have an infinate amount of times to get it right.
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 11.03.2008 10:07 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Are you an 俺 or a 僕 with your friends/ family ? I'd guess 僕, but I could be wrong.

mainly うち. I almost never say ぼく, and I'll fall back onto おれ if someone surprises me with a question, or I'm not paying attention. At work I'm all わたし.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 11.03.2008 10:13 pm

Is that a Gifu thing?

Around here (Kobe/Osaka) うち is usually used by women, unless you mean うち=we, such as うちの会社 or うちのワンちゃん....
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby ss » Tue 11.04.2008 2:04 am

I have been wondering the person who translated those posts is also a member of TJP :?:
It would be nice if he/she joined in the conversation here ......... ^_^
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby chiisu321 » Fri 12.12.2008 7:31 am

i can taste the difference between the milks, but i don't prefer one to the other.
Japanese milk reminds me more of yogurt, it's a bit more bitter? haha But, i'm no milk addict, so it's not like i cared anyway. milk is for cereal and for using in recipes. I don't actually DRINK milk straight from a glass (unless there is nothing else to drink XD)
chiisu321

Postby Jerbot » Fri 08.16.2013 1:31 am

It's my understanding that milk in The US is actually pasteurized at a higher temperature than in Japan. This makes sense to me for the following reasons:

1) Bringing the milk in Japan to a boil makes it taste much better.
2) Not bringing the milk in Japan to a boil causes me to become sick--I drink a carton or two a day.
3) My reading suggests that milk in Japan is pasteurized for 2 seconds at 120-130 degrees Celsius, compared to The US--~30 minutes at 60 degrees Celsius.

According to this reading, all milk in Japan will come out curdled, if only slightly. And the curdling in milk isn't healthy for human consumption, especially for people with milk allergies. Also, it's less digestible, of course. So, you get less bang for your buck, and you pay a lot more.

Best thing you can do is bring your milk to a low boil, or just cook it on medium-low for a while. It will taste a lot better.
Jerbot

Postby Jerbot » Fri 08.16.2013 1:33 am

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Maybe I'm just used to Japanese milk after all these years, but it tastes fine to me.

Same here, although I remember coming here when I was younger and feeling that the milk tasted weird.

While they have a bunch of hyper-pasteurized milk, there are also a few brands that have low-heat pasteurization. So instead of hitting the milk for 12 seconds at 200 (or whatever they cook it at) they do it for 8 minutes at 120. This supposedly results in the milk retaining more of the minerals than the standard way, while still killing the same amount of germs.

I had some milk when I went back to the states a couple of months ago, and I never realized how thin it is compared to Japanese milk. I felt like I was drinking water.

So they boil the milk for 8 minutes? If they did that, all of the milk would curdle. The fact is, they only boil it for 2 seconds--exactly 2 seconds.
Jerbot

Postby baskerville » Fri 08.23.2013 12:29 pm

At what temp is this 2 seconds? They would probably heat it a bit high, right?
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan