Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How did you memorize Hiragana?

How did you memorize Hiragana?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: How did you memorize Hiragana?

Postby ニッキー » Sun 11.02.2008 12:15 pm

Ben Nielson wrote:Then, ditch anything that has romaji in it. It's basically just robbing you of more hiragana/katakana reading practice. The sooner you take away the romaji crutch, the better off you'll be.

Quoted just 'cause I totally agree. :P

This all said, I still have to stop and think when I want to write マ and ム. Not sure why, but those two are going to plague me forever. :)

You could try and come up with a visual thing to distinguish them... to me, マ is more like 'A' because the corner is at the top, and 'ム' is more like U because the corner is at the bottom.

Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a way to use them as much as you can (use a guy called マーク and ベトナム in all your examples or something), I had so much trouble with シ and ツ at first, but I ended up using ッ so much (especially since I write my name with it) that I have no problems with them anymore.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Ben Nielson » Sun 11.02.2008 1:14 pm

Yeah, usually it's just something that pops up while I'm writing.

No mnemonic has stuck yet, really... then again, I haven't given it any real effort either, I think. :) It's just something I noticed everytime I have to write one of them (which is pretty rare, obviously...).

I'm not so worried about it, just mentioned it because it's funny... I think everyone probably has something that shouldn't be a problem for them yet for some reason it still is...
Last edited by Ben Nielson on Wed 11.05.2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Nielson

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Mon 11.03.2008 1:59 am

Ben Nielson wrote:Then, ditch anything that has romaji in it. It's basically just robbing you of more hiragana/katakana reading practice. The sooner you take away the romaji crutch, the better off you'll be.

I think that's going too far. I wouldn't ditch my Barron's Japanese Grammar just because it doesn't use kana.

Now, all else being equal, definitely take kana over romaji. The thing is, all else is seldom equal, though.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Ben Nielson » Mon 11.03.2008 6:01 am

Yup, the Barron's grammar book was a solid introductory tool for me too.

I've been properly corrected. :) Then again, if you were to look at my Barron's book you'd see tons of hiragana written above almost everything in romaji... heh.
Ben Nielson

Postby somenube » Wed 11.05.2008 12:18 am

...I went hardcore, my friend introduced me to Japanese and I googled it and found a list of kana. I wrote the kana over and over by themselves and eventually into words. In two weeks I could "write and read" the kana. It took one month of reading baby books and writing sentences over and over till I finally "mastered" them. (I can read the kana almost as fast my English.) I didn't use romaji at all except when doing flash-cards (I used my own phonetic spelling) and later on when I entered a Japanese class and was forced to anyway! (ローマ字が大嫌いですな。 DX)
Kanji...thats a different matter entirely... :lol:
somenube

Postby Ben Nielson » Wed 11.05.2008 5:30 am

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to get faster at reading kana (or, really Japanese in general), do some Japanese karaoke. Seriously. :) It gets you reading crazy fast...
Ben Nielson

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 11.05.2008 9:40 am

Ben Nielson wrote:Oh yeah, if anyone wants to get faster at reading kana (or, really Japanese in general), do some Japanese karaoke. Seriously. :) It gets you reading crazy fast...

I think that's good advice. When I was on a homestay we went out to karaoke all the time and it definitely improved my kanji and speed-reading, since by the nature of karaoke you already know the readings for all the kanji if you know the words to the song.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby sushidushi » Thu 11.13.2008 9:28 pm

Feba wrote:What I would recommend is http://www.languagebug.com/kana_q/index.htm --

I can't get this to work. How does one edit a jad file...? :? I love the idea of getting something on my mobile phone, but I just can't do it.
sushidushi

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips