Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Friday night & other things Past tense.

Friday night & other things Past tense.

Do you have a translation question?

Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Benvolio » Mon 11.03.2008 10:54 am

Hello again.
This weeks homework is to write about what I did last week or over the weekend.
I am starting by saying that 'Friday Night' I went home.
But I'm unsure how to write Friday night, or how to talk about the time of the day in past tense, other than yesterday.
きんようび ゆうがた Is this Friday night? This is just a guess.
The sentence I'm trying to make is:
私は きんようび ゆうがた ひとりで 伝主で Leicester 煮 いきました。
Friday night I went to Leicester on the Train alone.

And then later I want to say:

 きんようび ゆうがた 私は にほんご を べんきゅし つもり かった でも、 たいべん つかれた。
Friday night I Intended to study Japanese however, I was very tired.

I am very unsure about this sentence I don't think べんきゅしつもりかった is correct at all. And I don't know the correct past tense non dictionary form for tired = つかれた.

I hope you can help, as always. Thank you.
User avatar
Benvolio
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat 01.19.2008 3:04 pm
Location: U.K (Sheffield Uni)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Benvolio » Mon 11.03.2008 11:14 am

Following on from the same concept.

How Do I say Saturday morning? is it:
どようび の あそ ?

Cheers.
User avatar
Benvolio
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat 01.19.2008 3:04 pm
Location: U.K (Sheffield Uni)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 11.03.2008 11:19 am

Benvolio wrote:But I'm unsure how to write Friday night, or how to talk about the time of the day in past tense, other than yesterday.
きんようび ゆうがた Is this Friday night? This is just a guess.


You can say: きんようび の ばん or きんようび の よる either one means Friday night. ゆうがた is evening.

The sentence I'm trying to make is:
私は きんようび ゆうがた ひとりで 伝主で Leicester 煮 いきました。
Friday night I went to Leicester on the Train alone.


I'd avoid using kanji you don't know well yet. It should be 電車 not 伝主 and に not 煮. I think Leicester would be レスター. It's pronounced like the man's name Lester, correct?

And then later I want to say:

 きんようび ゆうがた 私は にほんご を べんきゅし つもり かった でも、 たいべん つかれた。
Friday night I Intended to study Japanese however, I was very tired.

I am very unsure about this sentence I don't think べんきゅしつもりかった is correct at all. And I don't know the correct past tense non dictionary form for tired = つかれた.


The correct form is 〜するつもり and the past is 〜するつもりでした。つかれる is a verb, so the polite past is つかれました。Also, that should be べんきょう not べんきゅ.

How Do I say Saturday morning? is it:
どようび の あそ ?


あさ not あそ.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
User avatar
becki_kanou
 
Posts: 3402
Joined: Sat 04.19.2008 10:09 pm
Location: Hyogo, Japan
Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語
Gender: Female

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby richvh » Mon 11.03.2008 11:22 am

Benvolio wrote:Hello again.
This weeks homework is to write about what I did last week or over the weekend.
I am starting by saying that 'Friday Night' I went home.
But I'm unsure how to write Friday night, or how to talk about the time of the day in past tense, other than yesterday.
きんようび ゆうがた Is this Friday night? This is just a guess.

金曜日の夕方(きんようび の ゆうがた) would do, though I don't think it's the most common way to say it. I think 晩(ばん) or 夜(よる) would be more common.
The sentence I'm trying to make is:
私は きんようび ゆうがた ひとりで 伝主で Leicester 煮 いきました。
Friday night I went to Leicester on the Train alone.

金曜日の夕方、私は一人で電車でレスターにいきました。
きんようび の ゆうがた、 わたし は ひとり で でんしゃ で レスター に いきました。
(You didn't use the "legendary lord" (伝主) to get there, and nothing was boiled (煮).) :D

And then later I want to say:

 きんようび ゆうがた 私は にほんご を べんきゅし つもり かった でも、 たいべん つかれた。
Friday night I Intended to study Japanese however, I was very tired.


金曜日の夕方、私は日本語を勉強するつもりでしたが、大変疲れました。
きんようび の ゆうがた、 わたし は にほんご を べんきょう する つもり でした が、 たいへん つかれました。

I am very unsure about this sentence I don't think べんきゅしつもりかった is correct at all. And I don't know the correct past tense non dictionary form for tired = つかれた.

I hope you can help, as always. Thank you.


でも is never used to mean "but" in the middle of a sentence. つかれた is already past tense (of the verb つかれる.) Past tense verbs are often used to modify a noun to show that a certain state is in effect. (Though I have a feeling that つかれたのです might be better here, I doubt you've covered のです yet.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Benvolio » Mon 11.03.2008 12:09 pm

Sorry about the Use of Kanji, Vista added it in.
So my sentences should be:

きんようび の ゆうがた、 わたし は ひとり で でんしゃ で レスター に いきました。

(Friday Evening I Went to Leicester alone on the Train.)
Yes Leicester is pronounced Lester. Thank you.

And

きんようび の ばん, わたし は にほんご を べんきょう する つもり でした 、 たいへん つかれました。

(Friday Night, I Intended to study Japanese but, was very tired.)

So I take it the が、 works as saying 'But'.
And べんきょう する つもり でした is the past tense of 'Intended to study'
the する seems out of place to, or at least I have forgotten about it.

Thank you both very much.
User avatar
Benvolio
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat 01.19.2008 3:04 pm
Location: U.K (Sheffield Uni)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.03.2008 7:29 pm

Benvolio wrote:Yes Leicester is pronounced Lester. Thank you.


If you are ever unsure about how to write a place name in Japanese, visit the Wikipedia page for that place and then click on the 日本語 link in the next column to bring you to the Japanese wikipedia version of the page. In this case, it confirms that it is レスター.

And べんきょう する つもり でした is the past tense of 'Intended to study'
the する seems out of place to, or at least I have forgotten about it.


つもり can only go after a predicate; べんきょう is just a noun, so you need to follow it with する to make it into a verb (and thus a predicate).
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Benvolio » Mon 11.03.2008 7:56 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

つもり can only go after a predicate; べんきょう is just a noun, so you need to follow it with する to make it into a verb (and thus a predicate).


Thank you. Very helpful :)
User avatar
Benvolio
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat 01.19.2008 3:04 pm
Location: U.K (Sheffield Uni)
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Denus » Mon 11.03.2008 9:39 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:つもり can only go after a predicate; べんきょう is just a noun, so you need to follow it with する to make it into a verb (and thus a predicate).


Mentioning this, I just thought of a question: "benkyou" can also be a noun. Unless I misunderstand the concept of "predicate", I thought plain nouns can be predicates as well (e.g. それは本).
Denus
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat 09.08.2007 8:14 am

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby richvh » Mon 11.03.2008 10:30 pm

Nouns (followed by a copula) can be predicates, but they don't really work with つもり, because when you say "I plan to be (something)", you really mean "I plan to become (something)", so the equivalent expression would be 何かになるつもりだ.

I searched for なつもり, だつもり, であるつもり and だったつもり. There were no examples of だったつもり or であるつもり, the only two examples of だつもり were 死んだつもり, and all but one example of なつもり were そんなつもり (the one exception used a な adjective, 有能なつもり.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Oracle » Mon 11.03.2008 11:04 pm

I'm not good with Grammatical terms, but <Noun>のつもり is fine because つもり has a slightly wider useage than just English 'intend to <do something>'.

冗談のつもりで言ったのに I just said it as a joke ( literally "intending it as a joke" )
User avatar
Oracle
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon 02.13.2006 9:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby richvh » Mon 11.03.2008 11:23 pm

Oh, didn't think of checking for that. That reaps more hits on ALC that the other things I checked for, and less than a quarter were そのつもり.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 11.03.2008 11:27 pm

Denus wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:つもり can only go after a predicate; べんきょう is just a noun, so you need to follow it with する to make it into a verb (and thus a predicate).


Mentioning this, I just thought of a question: "benkyou" can also be a noun. Unless I misunderstand the concept of "predicate", I thought plain nouns can be predicates as well (e.g. それは本).


This is going to get into linguistic territory that is perhaps confusing, I apologize and this will not benefit the OP, I fear.

In this case it's perhaps best to think of the だ as being dropped. Typically a predicate is one of three things -- a verb, an i-adjective, or a noun/na-adjective + だ. だ can sometimes drop out or change to な or の; JSL refers to it as "unstable" (the reason for considering it to be dropped, or changed form, is that if you put だった or じゃない into the same place, you end up with a still grammatical phrase in which the copula is required. Furthermore, な is ultimately derived from なり, a classical Japanese copula, and の is highly likely to have come from some former copula as well.)

When you have something like 勉強のつもり, this の is actually a form of だ rather than the "possessive" particle (as shown by the fact that 勉強だったつもり is grammatically fine, whereas in something like 私の本, *私だった本 is not acceptable.)

(I found 18,000+ hits for だったつもり...)

However, all this is kind of technical and beyond what the original poster was asking, I think.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Friday night & other things Past tense.

Postby Benvolio » Tue 11.04.2008 7:03 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:However, all this is kind of technical and beyond what the original poster was asking, I think.


Yes quite a bit. But once again, Thank you all.
User avatar
Benvolio
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat 01.19.2008 3:04 pm
Location: U.K (Sheffield Uni)
Native language: English
Gender: Male


Return to Translation Questions or Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests