Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Central Japan Expressway Site

Central Japan Expressway Site

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Central Japan Expressway Site

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.06.2008 8:06 pm

So, some of you may (or may not) remember that my company had been tasked with creating the English site for the Central Japan Expressway. Essentially, I was tasked with making a portal site for english-speakers in Japan to be able to navigate their way around the Expressway, find restaurant and shopping locations as well as give tourism information and interesting places to go.

I wasn't able to get in all the features I wanted due to time/budget constraints, but am pretty happy with what I managed to get done in such a short time. The translations alone had over 700 items. :shock:

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, or just wants to look at the site, you can see it below:

http://en-c-exis.jp

Thanks for looking!

--Keith
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Re: Central Japan Expressway Site

Postby pippa » Mon 10.06.2008 11:33 pm

I think the site looks pretty impressive!

Is there any way you could put up photos of the service areas? Photos of the service areas might give the maps of the buildings a bit of clarity.

Also, a couple of spelling mistakes that I noticed:
*"Omi-Gyu Serloin Steak Set"...shouldn't that be Sirloin?
*And I think the more common rendering of "Haccho Miso" is actually "Hatcho Miso".
pippa

Postby coco » Tue 10.07.2008 8:56 pm

針さん

英語サイトの完成、おめでとうございます。 :)

食べ物、土産物のところを拝見しました。
「薄味の出汁」「青海苔」「おつまみ」などなど
固有名詞や固有の言い回しが多ため、さぞかし頭を悩ませたことでしょう。
おつかれさまでした。

中京圏は外国人労働者が多いので、
サイトの完成に期待がかかっていたことと思います。
いいお仕事をなさいましたね。 :)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby clay » Tue 10.07.2008 9:08 pm

Congratulations! Great job. It obviously was a HUGE job.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.07.2008 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

pippa wrote:Is there any way you could put up photos of the service areas? Photos of the service areas might give the maps of the buildings a bit of clarity.

Also, a couple of spelling mistakes that I noticed:
*"Omi-Gyu Serloin Steak Set"...shouldn't that be Sirloin?
*And I think the more common rendering of "Haccho Miso" is actually "Hatcho Miso".

These are all examples of the parent company knowing better than me what makes a good site for english speakers [/sarcasm].

The Service Area pictures will probably be added in an update, as it's something we've been pushing for since the beginning.
The Serloin was actually a correction made by the customer. :/ I've used your comment to force them into using Sirloin (thanks!).
And the Haccho Miso thing, was again, something that the customer wanted to use (instead of my use of Hatcho).

This is also why, as of yesterday, all references to "Matsusaka Beef" have been changed to "Matsusaka Gyu."
It makes me cry.

But now I'm just venting. ;)

We're in the process of adding pronunciation guides for all the shopping and gourmet items, so that people know how to ask for items in Japanese.
Harisenbon

Postby pippa » Tue 10.07.2008 10:45 pm

Harisenbon wrote:The Service Area pictures will probably be added in an update, as it's something we've been pushing for since the beginning.
The Serloin was actually a correction made by the customer. :/ I've used your comment to force them into using Sirloin (thanks!).
And the Haccho Miso thing, was again, something that the customer wanted to use (instead of my use of Hatcho).

This is also why, as of yesterday, all references to "Matsusaka Beef" have been changed to "Matsusaka Gyu."

Out of interest, who is "the customer"? Where on earth did they get "serloin" from?

Having lived in Okazaki for a year and being a massive fan of Hatcho Miso, I think it's worth being pedantic and arguing for the spelling of Haccho Miso as Hatcho Miso. Hatcho Miso's website spells it like this: http://www.kakuq.jp/home/english.htm

Edit: Afterthought- Won't a pronunciation guide be a little bit tricky considering different English dialects pronounce things differently?
pippa

Postby ss » Tue 10.07.2008 11:39 pm

Harisenbonさん、

I try searching for food in certain place, I click on the "Gourmet", click on the "Prefecture - Gifu" and hit search ...
63 pictures show up. When I click on one of the pictures, it gives a brief introduction of special cuisine and some other related products which can be found within that area. It's really informative.

I learn from my friends that vegetarianism is quite common these days, whenever they travel, they have no problem finding information on vegetarian food. It will be helpful to have some additional information on vegetarian diets to facilitate these people. Just think so.

Congratulations! That's a nice site.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 9:37 am

Harisenbon, could we please have a progress report? I'd be interested in hearing how you went with the whole hatcho/haccho miso thing.
pippa

Postby Dustin » Wed 11.05.2008 7:46 pm

I was browsing and noticed on the double rice bowl description it claims to have a shrmip tempura, I'm sure it is supposed to be Shrimp, just want to let you know!! :D
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.06.2008 9:26 pm

Dustin_Calgary wrote:I was browsing and noticed on the double rice bowl description it claims to have a shrmip tempura, I'm sure it is supposed to be Shrimp, just want to let you know!! :D

*laugh* Indeed. Shrmip is a local delicacy of Kamigo. ;)
No idea how that got past the spell-checkers. Will add to the fix list.

Thanks!
Harisenbon

Postby tōkai devotee » Fri 11.07.2008 4:34 am

Hi, Harisenbon! I was browsing on the Hamamatsu Museum of Musical Instruments page and found an 's' missing off the end of instrument. I assume the museum has more than one instrument! :wink: Also the entire sentence seems a bit strange to me - A bit like Japanese Engrish. Where you have 'Asian' and 'African', I suggest you put Asia and Africa. Have a look at the sentence, and see what you can do!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan