Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Save Pushing Daisies!

Save Pushing Daisies!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Save Pushing Daisies!

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 9:30 am

Hi guys! I'd like to enlist your support. Pushing Daisies, one of the most refreshing and captivating shows on tv at the moment is headed towards the chopping block. This is incredibly disappointing- in this case it shows that big networks such as the ABC are more concerned about profit and ratings than creativity and original entertainment.

If you haven't seen the show, check out this website and watch an episode if you have time:
http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdais ... x?pn=index

If you're a current viewer and enjoy the show, please consider signing this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/daisies/p ... -sign.html

Thanks!
pippa

Re: Save Pushing Daisies!

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 11.05.2008 10:43 am

Sorry, this show is sort of self prophetic. I watched episode one and never returned..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.05.2008 8:40 pm

pippa wrote:Hi guys! I'd like to enlist your support. Pushing Daisies, one of the most refreshing and captivating shows on tv at the moment is headed towards the chopping block. This is incredibly disappointing- in this case it shows that big networks such as the ABC are more concerned about profit and ratings than creativity and original entertainment.

Thanks!

As one book editor that was also a publisher put it, and I paraphrase. We love creative original works--that sell.

Somewhere in your complaint it seems you miss the point that the networks are a business, not a non-profit publisher. I think the problem is your own expectations. Network news and entertainment is all based on ratings. If you want objective non-biased news and quality entertainment then support and watch and listen your local non-profit TV and Radio stations. These stations are more about improving your cultural knowledge than about making you stick around to watch the commercials.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby chikara » Wed 11.05.2008 8:51 pm

pippa wrote:...... Pushing Daisies, one of the most refreshing and captivating shows on tv at the moment is headed towards the chopping block. This is incredibly disappointing- in this case it shows that big networks such as the ABC are more concerned about profit and ratings than creativity and original entertainment. ......

I watch the ABC almost exclusively and have never even heard of "Pushing Daisies" :?

:P :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 8:54 pm

Half the problem is that ABC relies solely on ratings provided by Nielsen, and doesn't properly consider the fact that people might be watching a program on one channel while recording another show to watch later, and doesn't properly take into account downloads of the show through itunes and the like.

And THT, maybe you should try watching it again? It took me a few episodes to get past the odd sets and costumes and fully appreciate the humour, but now it's one of my favourite shows.

Chikara- that's odd! :wink: On a serious note though, Pushing Daisies was meant to be broadcast here on Channel 9 but was axed shortly after its premiere...
Last edited by pippa on Wed 11.05.2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pippa

Postby richvh » Wed 11.05.2008 8:56 pm

I watch the ABC almost exclusively and have never even heard of "Pushing Daisies"
It's a show on the other ABC - the one named for my country, not yours.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 8:59 pm

richvh wrote:
I watch the ABC almost exclusively and have never even heard of "Pushing Daisies"
It's a show on the other ABC - the one named for my country, not yours.

Just a guess, but I think Chikara might have known that, considering he ended with a :P and a :wink: ...
pippa

Postby richvh » Wed 11.05.2008 9:01 pm

I know, but there might be people here who might not be aware of both networks, so my comment was more for their sake than Chikara's.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby chikara » Wed 11.05.2008 9:20 pm

pippa wrote:..... Pushing Daisies was meant to be broadcast here on Channel 9 but was axed shortly after its premiere...

Well if it isn't good enough for Channel 9 then it seems to me that it doesn't deserve saving :wink:

richvh wrote:It's a show on the other ABC - the one named for my country, not yours.

Thanks Rich :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 9:31 pm

chikara wrote:
pippa wrote:..... Pushing Daisies was meant to be broadcast here on Channel 9 but was axed shortly after its premiere...

Well if it isn't good enough for Channel 9 then it seems to me that it doesn't deserve saving :wink:

Haha...I'm sure the show would have done better on Channel 7 or 10. Channel 9 is only good for one thing- the local "news".
pippa

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 11.05.2008 9:38 pm

pippa wrote:Channel 9 is only good for one thing- the local "news".

How about the daytime soaps and the Ellen show?!?! :wink:
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 9:40 pm

tokai devotee wrote:
How about the daytime soaps and the Ellen show?!?! :wink:

My bad. :roll:
pippa

Postby chikara » Wed 11.05.2008 9:59 pm

pippa wrote:...I'm sure the show would have done better on Channel 7 or 10. ..

It does sound as if "Pushing Daisies" may have been better suited to the Channel 10 demographic ;)

pippa wrote:...Channel 9 is only good for one thing- the local "news".

Channel 9 News: Parochial, yes we're parochial :roll:

On Sundays I sometimes watch the Channel 9 "news" at 6:00pm followed by the ABC news at 7:00pm. Often the lead story on 9 will be along the lines of "local sporting identity seen mowing own lawn" while on the same night on the ABC the lead story will be along the lines of "death toll in Chinese earthquakes exceeds 10,000" :oops:

It also amazes me how Channel 9 can run promos on a Sunday evening for what is going to be on their "news" Monday evening.

Apologies for going off topic :)
chikara

Postby pippa » Wed 11.05.2008 10:11 pm

chikara wrote:
pippa wrote:...Channel 9 is only good for one thing- the local "news".

Channel 9 News: Parochial, yes we're parochial :roll:

On Sundays I sometimes watch the Channel 9 "news" at 6:00pm followed by the ABC news at 7:00pm. Often the lead story on 9 will be along the lines of "local sporting identity seen mowing own lawn" while on the same night on the ABC the lead story will be along the lines of "death toll in Chinese earthquakes exceeds 10,000" :oops:

It also amazes me how Channel 9 can run promos on a Sunday evening for what is going to be on their "news" Monday evening.

Apologies for going off topic :)

No worries, this forum is for off topic discussion...

We once had friends down from Melbourne and they were packing themselves because the lead story on our local news was "the latest lawn bowls action", complemented with footage of oldies showing their stuff on the bowling greens. Classic.
pippa

Postby keatonatron » Tue 11.11.2008 1:14 am

Now that the US elections have just ended, it seems appropriate to point out that ratings are really the same as an election. By watching the show, you are voting for it. If a show has low ratings, that means no one is tuning in. People must not like it very much if they aren't watching it, right?

Just as hardcore McCain fans can't possibly understand why people would want to put Obama in the white house, hardcore fans of the show can't understand why other people would want to... not watch it. But if the ratings are low, the simple fact is that the majority of people don't like the show, so they should put something more universally liked in its place.

I can understand how much it sucks when you're the minority in a system where the majority rules. I was livid when Bush was elected for a second term :)
keatonatron

Native language: English

Next

Return to General off topic