Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Re: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.04.2008 12:20 am

becki_kanou wrote:Do you mean table-top, like the old-school pen and paper and D6 RPGs? I used to play a lot in high-school and college; particularly Cybergen and Vampire, and I even LARPed as well... (I think my geek score is just getting higher and higher every time I post in this thread...)

I ran the largest vampire LARP in memphis for about 5 years. :/
Having a high geek score is nothing to be ashamed of. ;)
Do you still game in JP? I found a group of Japanese gamers in Gifu of all places, and have been gaming with them for going on 5 years now. It's crazy how different the gaming style in Japan is compared to back home.

becki_kanou wrote:BTW what system is Disgaea? I was looking for it at the shop yesterday, but I didn't see it. I need a few games to play on the plane back to the States (summer vacation, YEAH!). I picked up the new Yoshi's Island for DS, but a new RPG would be cool as well.!

Disgaea is out on the: PS2, PS3, PSP and DS.
Multiplayer version are only on the PSP and DS.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.04.2008 1:13 am

I've never done any gaming in Japan, just because I don't know anyone else who's into it here. I used to play every weekend back in college though...
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby geekman » Sat 08.09.2008 12:12 pm

So, do you guys buy your PSP games or Download them?
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Dimension » Sat 08.09.2008 5:42 pm

I have to admit that I download them. It's just that I just can't afford buying games nowadays with all the other interests that I have that I prioritize over gaming. Even if I would buy games I tend to lose interest in games sometimes so it'd feel like money wasted.

To hold up the guilt I just have to take a peek in my bookshelf and wander my eyes over the 25 games I bought original for the GC :roll: I've spent my fair share on games already.
Dimension

Native language: Swedish

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.11.2008 12:33 am

geekman wrote:So, do you guys buy your PSP games or Download them?

The idea of pirating entertainment has always seemed wonky to me.
That doesn't stop my wife from dling her DS games though... :?
Harisenbon

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 9:24 pm

It's true that buying a game is kind of a waste since eventually we lose interest, and as mentioned money is then wasted when you have other stuff to spend it on. The only good time too spend money is when a game is being constantly updated, in other words CD-required MMOPRG, or at least monthly payment games.

Speaking of Monster Hunter... I find it to be a very boring game after awhile since it's all repetitive, go hunting, collecting and come back.
Ragevx1

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.18.2008 9:31 pm

I buy all of my games, or occasionally I borrow them from friends who have bought them. Piracy shifts the monetary burden of the hobby on people who pay for the games -- basically, you're relying on people like me to give the game companies money so that they'll keep making games which you can then take for free. Personally I find the arguments people use to support piracy disgusting, and I really hope some day they can come up with a way to prevent it entirely, or at least make it so difficult that most people can't do it.

(BTW, I played a Vampire LARP in college although it was fairly boring. The tabletop Mage games we played were a lot more fun.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby ニッキー » Mon 08.18.2008 10:03 pm

I buy all my games as well. I don't think it's a waste of money, the majority of the games I still own I would be happy to play again and again. I normally only buy games I think I'll really enjoy, but if I do buy one I find boring, I just sell it. I probably waste more money on other things anyway, like buying drinks from shops while I'm out, when I could just as easily take a drink with me (I always forget though :()
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 08.19.2008 8:16 pm

ニッキー wrote:I buy all my games as well. I don't think it's a waste of money, the majority of the games I still own I would be happy to play again and again.

And once you do get bored of them, you can always sell them used.
I just sold a mess of games to my local Geo for 8000 yen. Then bought a slew of new games. =)
Harisenbon

Postby Gaddo » Mon 08.25.2008 1:16 am

I buy games just cause i'm a collector.
Gaddo

Postby Athefre » Wed 11.05.2008 6:30 pm

I love Monster Hunter Freedom, it's the only one in the series I have and would love to get MHF2 but there are so many other games I would buy first (Fallout 3, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, DJ Max Fever, etc.).

I can't wait for Monster Hunter 3, it looks so amazing.
Athefre

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 11.06.2008 9:17 am

Harisenbon wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:It stands for strategy, however, most RPG don't or can't fit into the strategy genre, so it's really misleading. Most people call them TRPG, or tactical RPG..

Really? In my (JP) experience, people call games like FFT "SRPGs" and games like Dungeons and Dragons "TRPGs" (Table-Talk RPGs).
Of course, that may just be because I'm a TRPG gamer, so I hear the distinction alot. ;)

TRPG's are tactical rpg's.. the pen and paper stuf you refer to as D&D was just RPG.. We never bothered with any as it was the original. The only Table top stuff that I am familiar with would be table top strategy games with plstic or metal miniatures.. Such as Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40k, heroclicks and other games like that.
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 11.06.2008 9:38 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:TRPG's are tactical rpg's.. the pen and paper stuf you refer to as D&D was just RPG..

In Japanese (which I was referring to) RPGs refer to Computer RPGs, while TRPG (or トーク) refer to the Table Talk RPGs (Like D&D). I think I've seen TRPG used to refer to tactical RPGs in JP before, but only once or twice. Usually they use SRPG (Simulation RPG) for referring to Tactical RPGs.

Wikipedia Gives SRPG as "Simulation RPG" and TRPG as Table Talk RPG
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRPG
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPG
Harisenbon

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 11.07.2008 10:25 am

Harisenbon wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:TRPG's are tactical rpg's.. the pen and paper stuf you refer to as D&D was just RPG..

In Japanese (which I was referring to) RPGs refer to Computer RPGs, while TRPG (or トーク) refer to the Table Talk RPGs (Like D&D). I think I've seen TRPG used to refer to tactical RPGs in JP before, but only once or twice. Usually they use SRPG (Simulation RPG) for referring to Tactical RPGs.

Wikipedia Gives SRPG as "Simulation RPG" and TRPG as Table Talk RPG
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRPG
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRPG

I wasn't aware the Japanese used different accronymns than the US.. I'll stick with the US way ... :mrgreen: and I've never heard in 26 years of roleplaying the reference table talk.. That term just sounds Japanese.. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Fri 11.07.2008 10:49 am

I think we used to call them "pen and paper" RPGs, back in the early computing days.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

PreviousNext

Return to Games