Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - some questions..

some questions..

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

RE: some questions..

Postby roosh » Mon 10.31.2005 12:41 pm

Kates wrote:
I think 'minnaSAN' is not really appropriate because you are including yourself in the 'minna'... indicated by the use of 'watashi-tachi' in the second part of the sentence. If it was ME writing, I would not write 'san'... but perhaps it's personal choice.

oh, ok. but no matter mina or minna, 皆will still be their kanji right?

thanks for the deshou and desu's explainations anyway!:D
よろしくおながいしむす!~~
roosh

Postby roosh » Mon 10.31.2005 12:54 pm

AJBryant wrote:

Another possibility is "zen'in" (全員) for "minna" if there's some concern over that one...

they are the same right? may i know when to use which?;)
よろしくおながいしむす!~~
roosh

Postby nprz » Mon 10.31.2005 2:40 pm

Tony: I don't have as much experience in Japanese, I was just going by what both my dictionaries say about 皆 [全部。すべて。] My other one says 全部の人 instead of just 全部. Wouldn't that pretty much include the speaker?
Also a little Marxist, but if everyone tries hard (in a togetherness sense), wouldn't that be uniting in a way allowing the second phrase of "We" to make sense?
Maybe I'm just over analyzing one sentence :)
nprz

Postby AJBryant » Mon 10.31.2005 8:24 pm

oh, ok. but no matter mina or minna, 皆will still be their kanji right?

Yup. But you'll probably see "minna" in hiragana more often, I believe.

I don't have as much experience in Japanese, I was just going by what both my dictionaries say about 皆 [全部。すべて。] My other one says 全部の人 instead of just 全部. Wouldn't that pretty much include the speaker?

Go back and read what I wrote again. I said "mina-SAN" wouldn't work if the speaker is included. That's why one of my examples is "warera minna."

Minna is a great word. You can even say "zasshi wa minna urimashita" for "they sold all the magazines."

Also a little Marxist, but if everyone tries hard (in a togetherness sense), wouldn't that be uniting in a way allowing the second phrase of "We" to make sense?

Not necessarily. It's too ambiguous. It could be "if YOU ALL work hard, WE can have a good time." Very anti-Marxist idea, that -- but pretty much the way the PRC and the Soviet governments actually work. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)