Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How long does it take to write an essay in Japanese?

How long does it take to write an essay in Japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

How long does it take to write an essay in Japanese?

Postby eidius » Sat 11.08.2008 6:53 pm

ok please don't get offended but this question has been bugging me for about 7 years. when i see Japanese writing(pardon my rudeness) i see random lines put together with no though or consideration when you see it your like"DAMN! :shock: whats up with all the lines and circles" :| middle eastern and European languages are easy to write with since their letters have distinctive appearances but East Asian languages just go in every direction possible. i was just looking through some texts and i could have sworn that none of the letters that were on the first line where ever repeated so as a fellow student to the other how in the world do you remember all this? and honestly how long does it take you write a 1000 word essay?
thank you and sorry if im being inconsiderate
eidius

Re: how long does it take to make a jap essay?

Postby richvh » Sat 11.08.2008 7:31 pm

Speaking of rudeness, "jap" is most definitely rude, and using it is against the rules here. (For reasons why it is rude, I refer you to a certain unpleasantness in the western Pacific ca. 65 years ago.)

Since you're studying Japanese and not Chinese, you're in luck - a major portion of the writing system consists of a couple of phonetic scripts, with a limited number of characters, the kana (hiragana and katakana) rather than being kanji all the way down. You can, in fact, write anything in Japanese using the kana, though in practice a sentence with no kanji is rare.

As for how long it takes to write 1000 word essay, you run into problems defining a "word" in Japanese, and you have to also consider your general knowledge of Japanese as well as your knowledge of the subject of the essay.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby eidius » Sat 11.08.2008 7:58 pm

I hope you know i really didnt really understand what you just said lol all i asked is that how could you remember all those symbols and how long does it take to write a 3 page essay(forget the words) since Japanese letters/symbols seem to take more time to write then English and your right about my knowledge that's why im asking for past hour and a half but this language is unlike any other i have seen(i speak 3)
eidius

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 11.08.2008 8:31 pm

You might want to take a look through the Wikipedia articles on Japanese and the Japanese writing system, or search the Internet -- they will give you some explanation of what it's all about.

You're right that Japanese symbols take more time to write than English letters, although you tend to be able to express more meaning with fewer symbols. However, few people handwrite essays in Japanese -- if you type, it still takes longer than typing English but the complexity of the characters is no longer such a problem.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 11.08.2008 10:27 pm

Can someone change the title of this thread?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.09.2008 2:37 am

eidius wrote:I hope you know i really didnt really understand what you just said lol all i asked is that how could you remember all those symbols and how long does it take to write a 3 page essay(forget the words) since Japanese letters/symbols seem to take more time to write then English and your right about my knowledge that's why im asking for past hour and a half but this language is unlike any other i have seen(i speak 3)

How long would it take you to learn the rudiments of English composition? Could you start right away, please?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion