Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 大相撲十一月場所: November Sumo Tourney

大相撲十一月場所: November Sumo Tourney

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

大相撲十一月場所: November Sumo Tourney

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.08.2008 5:05 am

The November tournament starts tomorrow. Sumo's taken a few blows recently with the negative publicity surrounding the 3 Russians dismissed for marijuana use and the various other scandals that seem to be cropping up, but it's still the best sport out there for my money. Anyone else planning to watch? Who are your favorite (or least favorite) wrestlers? Who do you think will take home the big prize this tourney?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: 大相撲十一月場所: November Sumo Tourney

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 11.08.2008 10:15 pm

Is it already that time of year?

I went and watched the opening show in August (I believe, my mind is fried). Where Asashoryu was thrown out in the first 5 seconds of the match.

I've been really disappointed with the foreign Sumo Wrestlers as of late, mostly resulting from the marijuana scandal as well as the whole Asashoryu thing. I'm rather of the opinion that Asashoryu should have stepped down as soon as he got caught. 日本を馬鹿にしている、日本の恥、などっていう感じ。。。

Of course, I love Kotooshu more than anything, and am hoping that he'll do well this season.
I think he would make a great yokozuna.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 11.08.2008 10:52 pm

I used to be a big Asashoryuu fan, but you're right. He got to full of himself and started thinking that the rules don't apply to him. He's not even close to his top form. I remember when he won every single basho for about 2 years straight, but lately he's just a joke. I do have hope for some of the younger foreign wrestlers like Ama and Baruto (I met Baruto and he was really sweet.) and of course I'll be a lifetime fan of Kitazakura (in my avatar).
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.10.2008 11:00 am

How many basho's a year are there? 3, 4 or some other number that I just can't figure out?

I must be getting old, but Akebono seems to be the most popular Sumo I can remember. I get all those Takanohara and similar sounding names all confused.. And, by watching the last basho, it seemed all the champions either lost a "level" or were just completely out performed by the new Sumos.. Is it really that bad, or did I just catch a bad basho?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby KL Gryce » Mon 11.10.2008 2:59 pm

becki_kanou wrote:I used to be a big Asashoryuu fan, but you're right. He got to full of himself and started thinking that the rules don't apply to him. He's not even close to his top form. I remember when he won every single basho for about 2 years straight, but lately he's just a joke.

He might as well be a public enemy for how much airtime he got in the ensuing months. I've seen that same soccer footage over 200 times on TV alone.

two_heads_talking wrote:How many basho's a year are there? 3, 4 or some other number that I just can't figure out?

Six.
KL Gryce

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.10.2008 4:19 pm

KL Gryce wrote:Six.
Holy crap.. 1/4 of the time they are wrestling.. sheesh.. It's a wonder they stay as big as they are.. (yes I know they eat like horses..I was trying to be funny.. think skinny, think skinny)
two_heads_talking

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 11.11.2008 12:49 am

Hey Becki, and anyone else who's into Sumo, how's the tournament going? Let us know!! One of the things I miss about Japan is the Sumo. No, I'm not kidding!! I really enjoyed it. But now having not been in Japan for such a long time I've lost track of it. Perhaps none of the wrestlers who I knew of are still in the sport. When I was in Japan, the brothers Takanohana and Wakanohana were the stars. One of my faves was Terao. He was only little (compared to the others) but what he lacked in physical size he sure made it up with determination and boy he was strong. I guess he retired long ago
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan