Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Life in Japan, real or not?!

Life in Japan, real or not?!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Life in Japan, real or not?!

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.22.2008 2:17 am

vkladchik wrote: I said the power lines in Japan were a problem, and Harisenbon throws pictures of power lines in the US back at me. What's the connection?

You didn't say "power lines are a problem" you said "And the goddamn power lines!!! Argh!!" As if above ground power lines are something that is distasteful about Japan. I responded by showing that there are also large number of powerlines in the states. If you can't see that connection, there's really nothing else to be done.

vkladchik wrote:Maybe Harisenbon is battle-weary from defending Japan against ignorant JETs (which he has now done an about-face on),

Really? where was the about-face? I have nothing against JETs. Read my previous posts. Ignorance has nothing to do with it either. People who complain about things just because they're different annoy me.

vkladchik wrote:but all I said was that Japan ought to bury its power lines.

I'm sorry. I missed that post. Where was that?

vkladchik wrote: But to turn this into an international pissing contest is really, well, boring. We don't need to prove anything to each other, do we?

No pissing contest on this side. You made a statement, people disagreed. You got offended and haughty, telling me that I should "get out and see more of the country." To me, that sounds like you're the one starting the pissing contest.

---

Honestly, I was worked up over this, but this has honestly gone into the realm of stupid, from which good conversation will never return. :)
Hopefully I won't get sucked back into this.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.22.2008 10:58 am

it's probably a good time to lock this up, before anyone else tries to "fix" it..

oh well, I was enjoying the posturing and crossed lines. too bad the line crossing was just power lines.. :roll:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Malfina » Sun 09.28.2008 9:05 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:Maybe on a vacation, but I would be surprised to hear that someone lived in Japan for any extended length of time and completely avoided using squat toilets.

6 years and have never used a squat toilet.
I can usually find a place that has a western toilet, or hold it long enough to find a place with a western toilet.

As for the high-speed internet comment, I was surprised when I went back to the states recently and they were advertising new, super-fast 50mb internet connections for $150 a month. I've had 50mb service for $30 for almost 5 years now, and am just now updating to optical cable. 100mb for $50 a month.

I love the internet backbone here. It makes me cry tears of joy. :D

Wow, high speed internet for $30-$50 a month! I almost pay $150+ for my internet. Why is it so cheap over there and is it cheaper to live in Japan Vs. living in America?
Malfina

Postby tōkai devotee » Tue 09.30.2008 8:47 pm

It used to be cheaper to live in Australia than Japan. I'm talking 10+years ago. Aussies living in Japan used to complain about the high prices of basic items there. However, things change and many things are now cheaper in Japan now. Tourists and students coming to Australia now complain about costs of things here.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 10.01.2008 10:00 am

Malfina wrote:

Wow, high speed internet for $30-$50 a month! I almost pay $150+ for my internet. Why is it so cheap over there and is it cheaper to live in Japan Vs. living in America?

150 for internet? I pay that for my internet, fibre optic cable (tv), phone and cell phone .. If you are paying 150 for internet, perhaps you should shop around.
two_heads_talking

Postby Malfina » Wed 10.01.2008 5:24 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Malfina wrote:

150 for internet? I pay that for my internet, fibre optic cable (tv), phone and cell phone .. If you are paying 150 for internet, perhaps you should shop around.

I'm going to pretty soon, cuz my cable prvider keeps overcharging and the service SUCKS! lol I'm starting college soon so I can get a better job and to help out my family.
Malfina

Postby paul120 » Fri 10.17.2008 6:38 am

this is an awesome video..
paul120

Postby burstandbloom » Fri 11.07.2008 8:32 pm

paul120 with the zinger! calm down man!
Not to carry on the power lines thing (that got intense!) I've never been to Japan so I apologize, but being fond of Japan(from afar) for a really long time and from just seeing pictures of Japan, seeing movies, and how its generally portrayed in animations...I've never seen it anywhere as bad like that in the US. Ive been to NYC and other big cities outside of my state, I live in a rural area as well as a larger city, and living in Ohio you're fairly close to a lot of pretty large cities. Never really considered the power lines too crazy in any of these places. I guess it depends on what you'd consider an over abundance of power lines, or whats too much for you.
However this image of mine of Japan as having crazy amounts of power lines going every which way(which of course could be completely apart of my imagination since I've never been there) I've always really liked and has been one of the most aesthetically pleasing pieces of imagery for me of Japan. Like Yudan said, it has a charm to it. Some may not think that.
Sorry I didn't mean to carry that on, haven't posted for awhile, just thought I'd put in my two sense.
About the toilets, I think it's great that they still have squat toilets, only because it makes me chuckle to think that it makes it seem they're "behind the times" to some people when the Japanese engineer some of the most advanced toilet systems in the world. And as to why no one mentioned the otohime! How unfair, I kinda wish men bathrooms would have them too, there are sounds other than that of urination when using the bathroom...
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.10.2008 10:57 am

burstandbloom wrote:paul120 with the zinger! calm down man!

they were calm for almost a month.. almost.. and here I thought this was gonna disappear....
two_heads_talking

Postby burstandbloom » Tue 11.11.2008 7:19 am

two_heads_talking wrote:

they were calm for almost a month.. almost.. and here I thought this was gonna disappear....

Maybe, but it was still close to the top when I found it.
burstandbloom

Native language: 英語

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.11.2008 9:56 am

burstandbloom wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:

Maybe, but it was still close to the top when I found it.

no worries, just giving you a raz..
two_heads_talking

Postby chiisu321 » Wed 12.10.2008 7:42 am

I didn't watch the vid, but based on what you said, yea that's about how it goes.

I live in Anjyo (population is not very high, so i don't mind if you've never heard of it)
No central heating so i have a heater and an electric rug thing. not to mention a heated table.
I have heated water so i don't need to preheat the tub, but since we all share, it has to be reheated (not refilled)
I used the "bucket" and all that jazz.
Standard.
chiisu321

Postby john2 » Sun 12.21.2008 5:32 pm

Es seht aus wie die Japanischen laden in Deutschland.
Entschuldigung aber mein browser ist nicht rechtschreibungs compatible.
It looks like Japanese shops in Germany.
sorry but my browser isn't spellings compatible.*

AJBryant wrote:Ich habbe definitive Probbirt .
Ferdamnte sheise, manche von diesen sind ABSCHEUSLICH besonders die station tolletend, zum ende der nacht, es ist alsob leute die tollete versuchen zu kaken.
Well, I certainly tried.
Tony†

Holy crap, some of those things are HORRIBLE -- especially station toilets toward the end of the day. God, it's like people *try* to miss. With the "big one". Ick.

Tony

Sie möchten nicht zuruch nach den fereinigten-staten.
You don't want to return to american.

*Hier macht Deutsch mehr sin. German makes more sense,
†Potentiel falsche übersetzung english original, Potentially wrong translation English original,
john2

Postby Motoko Kusanagi » Sun 12.21.2008 8:02 pm

The only thing I can say is that i live in chicago and most of our power lines and utility lines run in the alley. The only line present in the front of the neighborhood is the one for the light poles. I think maybe i am a little spoiled and maybe that's why its odd for me.
Motoko Kusanagi

Postby john2 » Sun 12.21.2008 9:26 pm

Harisenbon wrote:To me, the things foreigners usually complain about in Japan (powerlines, toilets, showers, cleaning ears at work, people not saying what they mean) are not the problems with Japan that people should be worrying about.

I think it's rather pathetic, to compliain about those things it’s one of those things that makes little sense to complain about because it would be very hard to change.
john2

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan