Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Postby furrykef » Tue 11.11.2008 7:25 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Honestly, the opportunities for most foreigners to handwrite Japanese at all, for any reason (other than just for fun or self practice, or for homework) are limited, especially in comparison with your opportunities to read, speak, and listen to Japanese, or to type Japanese on computers.

I never said I'd spell it 蜂蜜 if I'm writing with a pencil. I'm just wondering if it's odd to spell it that way at all, whether in handwriting, typing, whatever. But if the kanji would be good to know, then I think they're worth learning (although admittedly probably not high priority, but hey, if the word is in the lesson, why not?).

See, when I say I learn はちみつ as 蜂蜜 I'm not really thinking of a bunch of times I'll have to write it. It's just a way of familiarizing myself with the kanji. My theory is -- and I think it's a good one -- you can recognize kanji a lot better if you can also write them. Of course it's very easy to type はちみつ and the space bar and tell if the correct kanji came up at a glance, but that wouldn't help me recognize the word if I randomly encountered it in a context where it's not so obvious we're talking about honey.

But if I would look silly for some reason if I were talking to someone online and I typed 蜂蜜 instead of はちみつ, obviously that'd be good to know.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 11.11.2008 10:04 am

Nah, if you're typing, anything goes because you can just hit the space bar and get whatever kanji you want.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 11.11.2008 11:05 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Well, even if they come up in conversation we're talking about writing here. :-).

But of course.. It looks like my humor was off the mark.. :cry:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips