Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Minna no Nihongo: looking for supplements

Minna no Nihongo: looking for supplements

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Minna no Nihongo: looking for supplements

Postby ThePacster » Sun 11.09.2008 9:17 pm

Hello there everyone~

I have been studying Japanese for about two years now. I took three semesters of Japanese at my college using the ever popular Genki Textbooks, and this past summer I went to study in Japan where I was introduced to the Minna no Nihongo textbooks. Having used these books I've grown fond of them and decided I would stick with these books until I go back to Japan next year for college.

So at the moment I have Genki I & II, Minna no Nihongo I & II, and the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. Looking through this website's store there are quite a few MInna no NIhongo related books there, and other than the grammatical translation books, which would be best for a rounded out set of Minna no Nihongo material for practice?
ThePacster

Re: Minna no Nihongo: looking for supplements

Postby maiku71 » Mon 11.10.2008 1:00 am

Hi.
I have the fallowing MNN supplemental materials, all in "like new" condition (I live in Canada though):

• Minna no Nihongo Hyojun Mondaishu (Basic Workbooks)
    Made to accompany Minna no Nihongo I and II, this workbooks are a collection of exercises and tests devised to confirm, consolidate and reinforce what has been learnt in each chapter of the Main Text. Ideal as review texts, it can be used in the classroom or for homework.
    • Minna no Nihongo I Hyojun Mondaishu (Basic Workbook I)
      2001/03, ISBN: 978-4883191352
      Price: $15
    • Minna no Nihongo II Hyojun Mondaishu (Basic Workbook II)
      2001/06, ISBN: 978-4883191406
  • Minna no Nihongo Kanji Renshucho (Kanji Exercise Books)
    For use in conjunction with Minna no Nihongo, these are texts that help the learner to remember kanji through reading and writing practice. Centering on the kanji required for Levels 3 and 4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, as well as more than 200 kanji for Level 2, the 530 basic kanji in the two books have been arranged to allow steady progression. The learner can study how to read each kanji on the kanji sheet and then practice how to read and write it in the sentences on the following sheets. An invaluable aid to the beginner.
    • Minna no Nihongo I Kanji Renshucho (Kanji Exercise Book I)
      2004/01, ISBN: 978-4883192915
    • Minna no Nihongo II Kanji Renshucho (Kanji Exercise Book II)
      2004/09, ISBN: 978-4883192922
      Price: $20
  • Minna no Nihongo Shokyu de Yomeru Topikku 25 (Reading Comprehension Text)
    Made in response to people’s calls for a reading comprehension text that can be used right from the start of learning Japanese, these books are expertly structured to gradually develop reading skills, beginning with simple, one-sentence reading exercises in the Warm-up section, to more advanced passages and tasks in the Main Text section. Matching the material found in Minna no Nihongo I and II, and giving all new vocabulary in English, Chinese, Indonesian, Korean and Thai, these are ideal books for people from various countries who want to work on their reading ability right from the start.
    • Minna no Nihongo I Shokyu de Yomeru Topikku 25 (Reading Comprehension Text I)
      2000/11, ISBN: 978-4883191680
      Price: $22
    • Minna no Nihongo II Shokyu de Yomeru Topikku 25 (Reading Comprehension Text II)
      2001/06, ISBN: 978-4883191857
      Price: $22
  • Minna no Nihongo Yasashii Sakubun (Basic Writing Practice Workbook)
    This book has been designed to enable people even at the beginner stage to write coherently in basic Japanese. The book is divided into two parts: Basic Practice (units 1-15), which uses the vocabulary and sentence patterns found in Minna no Nihongo I and II, and Practical Application (units 16-20), which involves practical application at a level equal to the beginning of the intermediate stage. The book comes with word lists in English, Chinese and Korean, as well as a Teacher’s Manual.
    1999/11, ISBN: 978-4883191420
    Price: $20
Prices are in US$.
Please let me know if you are interested in any book from here.
Thank you.
maiku71

Postby ThePacster » Wed 11.12.2008 7:30 pm

In regards to the workbooks, for a person who is doing self-study is there anyway to check if the work I've done is correct (answer keys, etc.)?
ThePacster

Postby clay » Wed 11.12.2008 8:17 pm

In regards to the workbooks, for a person who is doing self-study is there anyway to check if the work I've done is correct (answer keys, etc.)?

Unless someone knows, I can check tomorrow when I go to the office.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Wed 11.12.2008 8:38 pm

ThePacster wrote:In regards to the workbooks, for a person who is doing self-study is there anyway to check if the work I've done is correct (answer keys, etc.)?

What most of us self-studies do when in doubt is post the questions and our answeres, the ones we had doubts about anyway and ask for assistance.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ThePacster » Thu 11.13.2008 8:30 pm

Prior to the trip I took this summer I have been, for the most part, studying on my own for two years now, and have used this board on occasion with great success. Nevertheless it would still be nice to know there is an answer key for lesser questions that aren't "confusing" persay, but more of an "oops I forgot" sort of thing. :)
ThePacster

Postby Krysta » Thu 12.11.2008 11:13 am

Minna no Nihongo Hyojun Mondaishu does have the answers to the exercises in the back of the book.
I know because I use the same books in University. 1 lesson per week got me to lesson 36. And the additional books help alot.
I also have the chuukai tasuku 25 workbook, with the CD's for listening practice. That one comes with answers too. And an another workbook but that doesn't have the answers so I don't really recommend that one. But the listening exercises are pretty good.
Krysta

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips