Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - teaching Japanese to kids

teaching Japanese to kids

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: teaching Japanese to kids

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.15.2008 1:00 am

The Japanese Wikipedia uses ノア to refer to the Biblical person.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby spin13 » Sat 11.15.2008 3:59 am

becki_kanou wrote:I think I've seen ノア before. I'd go with that!

I've definitely seen ノア.

そうです、いままでにこの月の体験しなかったことがあるでしょうか!ノアの大洪水のときにも、その水の上を帆走ったのです。そして、ちょうどいまわたしのほほえみかけているのと同じように、箱船の上にほほえみかけて、やがて花咲き出ようとする新しい世界の慰めをもたらしたのです。

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby tōkai devotee » Wed 04.22.2009 6:04 am

I thought I'd revive this old thread rather than start a new one, since it's the same topic... kind of. I'm still teaching Japanese language and a spot of culture eg origami, folktales etc to the same group of kids, and they're doing really well too!! And enjoying it! :D

At the end of each class, I get them to stand and say arigatou gozaimasu! (Sorry IME isn't working today!) Anyway, I was wondering if it's normal for students to say, "sensei, sayounara" after the lesson. I'm thinking of getting them to do this. That way they'd practice saying goodbye. Also, I'm wondering what it is that a student calls out at the end of class, when all the students stand and bow to the teacher. Can anyone tell me?! It sounds like "kiritsu" or something. I thought I'd teach them that too, but not 100 % sure of it.

Thanks again.
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby AJBryant » Wed 04.22.2009 12:52 pm

Sayônara is more at "farewell" than "goodbye." Definitely not what you'd say every day at the end of class.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby astaroth » Wed 04.22.2009 1:35 pm

At the end of the classes I was attending to at the Japan Society in NYC, we were saying to our sensei あさってまた or 来週また (depending on the day of the week: it was a twice a week course ...)
We were definitely not teenagers, so I don't know if this answers your question ...
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Native language: Italiano「伊語」

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.22.2009 2:13 pm

The students in our Japanese classes are taught to say 失礼します when leaving class, but that's overly formal for children. The sequence mentioned earlier is 規律(きりつ, stand), 礼(れい, bow), ありがとうございます
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby coco » Wed 04.22.2009 6:55 pm

Tokai Devotee さん、おはようございます。
子どもたちに日本語を教えてくださってありがとう。 :)

子どもの年齢によって先生がかける言葉も違いますし、生徒の挨拶なども変わってきます。
幼稚園~小学校低学年のときは、一日が終わって帰宅するときに
「先生、さようなら。 みなさん、さようなら」
と子どもたちがみんなで挨拶しました。

こんな感じだったと記憶しています。
先生 「それでは今日はここまでです。みんな気をつけて帰ってねー」
児童(複数)「はーい! 先生さようなら。みなさんさようならー」
先生 「みなさんさようならー」 

「失礼します」は、中学生以降に使ったように思います。

小学生以降は授業が始まるとき(教師が教室に入ってきて、教壇についたとき)に
「起立、礼、着席!」と学級委員か日直が声をかけ、その号令にあわせて生徒が一斉に動作を行いました。

あの頃は私も若かった。 :D
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby chikara » Thu 04.23.2009 2:37 am

tokai devotee wrote:I thought I'd revive this old thread rather than start a new one, since it's the same topic... kind of. I'm still teaching Japanese language and a spot of culture eg origami, folktales etc to the same group of kids, and they're doing really well too!! And enjoying it! :D .....

They might enjoy the Children's Day celebration as part of the Golden Week Japan Festival. It's being held at the Cowandilla Primary School on Sunday 3 May.

Unfortunately I am interstate that weekend again this year :(

It might be a bit boring for young children but the The Golden Journey Exhibition at the Art Gallery of SA is well worth a look for a spot of Japanese culture if you haven't been already.

astaroth wrote:At the end of the classes I was attending to at the Japan Society in NYC, we were saying to our sensei あさってまた ....

One of my nieces who learns Japanese at her primary school was taught to say あしたまた which means the same thing. When I studied Japanese as an adult our Japanese native sensei taught us to simply say じゃまた.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 04.23.2009 6:32 am

皆さんの返事をありがとう!
生徒たちは皆小学生だからココさんの会話を使うと思います。「失礼します」はちょっと難しいかな~と思います。

CHIKARAさん、I was wondering about that Children's Day festival. I remember going a couple of years ago and it was a very well organised event. Thanks for letting me know the details, Chikara. :D I'll definitely pass that info on to my students. It's bad luck you won't be here.

The older students (9-12 year olds) actually went to the Art Gallery this week and did the school holiday craft, which was painting a Japanese scroll. They did a really nice job! Some of them painted their names on it in Katakana!! :D
tōkai devotee

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.23.2009 11:49 am

chikara wrote:One of my nieces who learns Japanese at her primary school was taught to say あしたまた which means the same thing. When I studied Japanese as an adult our Japanese native sensei taught us to simply say じゃまた.

Well but we weren't going to see our sensei the day after class ... also (and I am probably wrong) isn't じゃまた informal?
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby tōkai devotee » Thu 04.23.2009 11:08 pm

astaroth wrote:
chikara wrote:One of my nieces who learns Japanese at her primary school was taught to say あしたまた which means the same thing. When I studied Japanese as an adult our Japanese native sensei taught us to simply say じゃまた.

Well but we weren't going to see our sensei the day after class ... also (and I am probably wrong) isn't じゃまた informal?

じゃまた is fairly informal, but if it was an informal adult language class, which many are, it was probably ok, especially since it was a native Japanese teacher, and he or she would've said that was ok. When studying Japanese in University, our conversation class which was only once a week, said to the teacher, また来週!I haven't heard あしたまたbut was taught the phrase またあした。I'm not saying that あしたまた is wrong, but it's just that I've never heard it and I was taught it the other way around!
tōkai devotee

Postby astaroth » Thu 04.23.2009 11:36 pm

No. You're right, I was wrong. It should be またあした ... somehow I always switch mata and ashita.
ー 流光 ー

花地世
小  見獄の
林  かの中
一  な上は
茶   の 
astaroth

Postby chikara » Fri 04.24.2009 1:27 am

tokai devotee wrote:じゃまた is fairly informal, but if it was an informal adult language class, which many are, it was probably ok, especially since it was a native Japanese teacher, and he or she would've said that was ok...

Yes, I realise it is informal. The sensei had been living in Oz a long time so maybe some of the Aussie informality had rubbed off :)

tokai devotee wrote:I haven't heard あしたまたbut was taught the phrase またあした。I'm not saying that あしたまた is wrong, but it's just that I've never heard it and I was taught it the other way around!

Doh! :oops:

My bad, it is またあした. I was thinking じゃまた and replaced the じゃ with あした. The pit falls of cut and paste :oops:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips