Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English in Japanese songs?!

English in Japanese songs?!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

English in Japanese songs?!

Postby Tabetai » Fri 11.14.2008 10:42 pm

I've been watching anime and listening to a lot of Japanese songs lately and I've noticed that in most of the songs, there is English words. I don't know why they put it there, but usually the words don't make sense (In Love Get Chu's theme song, they have the phrase 'Love get you hurry lady!' And in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuustu's theme song at the end they end with a 'I believe you!' 0_O It doesn't even have to do with anything about the story in the anime) Can anyone tell me exactly why the have the need to put it there? Not that it's a bad thing.. But still.
Tabetai

Native language: English

Re: English in Japanese songs?!

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 11.14.2008 11:07 pm

It's because English is "cool", and people like the look and sound of English even if they can't really understand what it means. It's the same reason people wear clothes with weird English slogans and the same reason people in the West who can't speak Japanese get kanji tattoos. Different=exotic=cool.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby CerpinTaxt » Fri 11.14.2008 11:43 pm

It's also not exclusive to Japanese. There are many foreign songs that utilize English words, and I'm sure even English songs feature the use of foreign words here and there. Not a particularly uncommon occurrence.
The stars can only get closer, they can only get brighter...
CerpinTaxt

Postby richvh » Fri 11.14.2008 11:53 pm

There definitely are. (Thinking of one in particularly that uses "Voulez-vous couchez avec moi ce soir") English songs are more likely to use French or Spanish or Italian to spice up the lyrics.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby furrykef » Sat 11.15.2008 12:50 am

Then you have the odd case of "Que sera sera", the titular line not being in any language at all, though it sure sounds like Spanish or some other Romance language.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.17.2008 9:42 am

Tabetai wrote:I've been watching anime and listening to a lot of Japanese songs lately and I've noticed that in most of the songs, there is English words. I don't know why they put it there, but usually the words don't make sense (In Love Get Chu's theme song, they have the phrase 'Love get you hurry lady!' And in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuustu's theme song at the end they end with a 'I believe you!' 0_O It doesn't even have to do with anything about the story in the anime) Can anyone tell me exactly why the have the need to put it there? Not that it's a bad thing.. But still.

You obviously never heard Styx sing Mr. Roboto..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWGrwRX1 ... re=related

Lots of singers add different languages into their songs.

Kat does alot of this as she is of New Zealand/Japanese decent.. http://www.katmusic.jp/index.html

As to why they did it, you'd have to ask the artist who did it to find out the real answer.. All we can do is speculate..
two_heads_talking

Postby furrykef » Mon 11.17.2008 11:38 am

Well, in the case of Mr. Roboto, it seems obvious enough: electronics have always been heavily associated with Japan since about the 80's (though the lyrics do say "my heart is human, my blood is boiling, my brain IBM").
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 11.17.2008 12:34 pm

furrykef wrote:Well, in the case of Mr. Roboto, it seems obvious enough: electronics have always been heavily associated with Japan since about the 80's (though the lyrics do say "my heart is human, my blood is boiling, my brain IBM").

You should do more research on that song. Especially the mention of Kilroy. :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby sharon333 » Mon 11.17.2008 6:29 pm

I will have to go over the lyrics of that song to see.
sharon333

Native language: english

Return to General off topic