Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How is NTC New Japanese-English Character Dictionary

How is NTC New Japanese-English Character Dictionary

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How is NTC New Japanese-English Character Dictionary

Postby Dustin » Tue 11.18.2008 4:29 am

I am leaving Calgary soon ( do not know what to do about my user name... haha )
I decided to hit up the University for a few Japanese materials before I leave, including a grammar dictionary as well as a more comprehensive Kanji Dictionary. ( Save on shipping so why not )

The Tome I brought home was this NTC ( international edition, the domestic Japan version is labeled as Kenkyusha )
After doing some research ( bought it kind of on a whim ) I did not find much about this text, but I loved the fact that the greatly appreciated Kodansha Kanji learners Dictionary was actually derived from this book, which has the SKIP method for all of it's listings. It is tough to find GOOD information on the subject of what to get other than the Nelson is apparently the industry standard.

NTC NJECD seems to be quite an in depth book, but not comprehensive in the number of Kanji that it contains.

Anyone with experience with these, input is appreciated, I am not sure whether to hold onto this one, AND get the Nelson, or use this one until I can get a 100% Japanese Kanji dictionary for the upper level rare stuff, OR just eventually get a REALLY good Electronic Dictionary. Am I better off returning this one for the time being?... Of course any combination of these is fine as well.

I do also own the Kodansha Kanji learners Dictionary which is why I was so amused to see where it came from.
Anyone with experience with this NTC text in particular would be great to hear from.
Dustin

Native language: English

Re: How is NTC New Japanese-English Character Dictionary

Postby Fillanzea » Tue 11.18.2008 12:54 pm

I have the NTC NJECD and it's my favorite Japanese-English kanji dictionary.

Pros:
(1) I love the SKIP system. It feels very intuitive to me and I have an easier time looking up characters than with Nelson.
(2) It has such an abundance of reference material in the appendix.
(3) Even though it doesn't have QUITE the abundance of kanji as the Nelson, by the time you actually need the obscure, archaic kanji, it will probably be time for an all-Japanese kanwa dictionary. (I do have one, but I rarely need to use it unless I'm reading prewar literature.) It has enough non-Joyo kanji to be a lot more useful than, say, the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary.
(4) The binding held up better than the Nelson under intense use. (I think there's a new edition out, so this may not be the case?)

Cons:
(1) It's useful to learn the traditional radical lookup system (as in the Nelson) if you're ever going to use kanwa dictionaries
(2) It's not quite as complete as the Nelson.

My opinion? Stick with the NTC if you like the SKIP method. If you need something more comprehensive, supplement it with a Japanese kanwa dictionary.

Actually, these days I do most of my kanji lookup on the PC with WWWJDIC, but it's still useful to have the print reference.
Fillanzea

Re: How is NTC New Japanese-English Character Dictionary

Postby Dustin » Tue 11.18.2008 2:13 pm

Great, this kind of confirmed my original thoughts on the book, and I feel a bit better about getting it.

By the time I need a Kanji Dictionary that covers material in here, hopefully I can use a Japanese one. :D
I'm sure that will be the case, and worst case scenario I can always get the Nelson down the road to supplement it.

Thanks!
Dustin

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips