Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need advise on a Visa for Japan.

Need advise on a Visa for Japan.

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Need advise on a Visa for Japan.

Postby chobo2 » Sat 08.23.2008 3:06 am

Hi

Next year In April I would like to go to Japan for 4 months(the length of my summer vacation). I am unsure what kind of visa I should be getting.

What I would like to do is to see Japan but at the same time learn some Japanese. So what I wanted to do was go to some Community college to learn Japanese for a couple hours a day(2 to 3 hours would be perfect). This would give me enough time to in the day to study what I have learned and at the same time see Japan and do other things. I am pretty sure I will learn just as much talking to people or watching tv or doing other stuff with the people I am staying with as I would learn going to school. So I would like a nice balance between the two.

I have already talked to some people my family knows who live in Japan and they are more then willing to give me a place to stay for the 4 months but the problem is the visa and really the problem is I want to stay 4 months. I am Canadian and I can only stay 90 days without a visa unlike some other countries where they can stay up to 6 months also I read you can do some sort of schooling with just a tourist visa.

So I was looking into other visas like a student visa but I am unsure about this visa because it seems more like you got to go to some college or university since it needs to be recognized so I don't know if community colleges will make the cut. Also I don't know they even offer something that can be done in 4 months or if they only got programs for people who are staying half a year or longer.

This is not a option because in the fall I would be starting final year of my bachelor program so I can't stay longer then the 4 months.

So I am not sure how to proceed with this.

2 options what I came up with our.

1. Only go for 90 day's and hopefully be able to do a bit of schooling and lose that one month.
2. Use my holiday visa and be able to stay for the 4 months and do it that way. But this is a one shot deal it seems like once I use this up I never can have another holiday working visa again.

With the first option it kinda sucks that I am loosing a month seeing this might be a once in a life time thing. I don't really know if I will have another chance to do something like this in my life so I would like the most of it but I don't want to rule out the possibility that I might do this more then once. So if I go and use my holiday work visa I am pretty much making it a one time thing.

So do you think I can get a student visa for my situation or what?

Thanks
If your looking to learn Hiragana and Katakana try out http://www.interactivejapanese.com/.
chobo2

Re: Need advise on a Visa for Japan.

Postby clay » Sat 08.23.2008 8:58 am

I really don't know, but three months (minus a few days to be safe!) will give you a good taste of Japan. If this is your first trip, you may want to keep it short to see if you like it.

Of course the longer you are there the more language you will pick up, but I'm not sure if an extra month is worth the headache of applying for a visa.

Maybe someone else has better knowledge on visas, but please let us know what you decide.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby fielle » Mon 08.25.2008 8:29 am

I somehow doubt that this is the right way to go about things, but . . .
When I went to Japan (I'm from the USA) for a shade under 3 months, I took a side trip to Korea for a few days, and on returning got a New Shiney Tourist Visa.

I think there are others who employ the "Random Side Trip To Korea" method of staying longer on just a tourist visa. If you do it too many times they may start to grumble, but I didn't even get a second look for my re-entry.
fielle

Native language: English

Postby chobo2 » Mon 08.25.2008 5:55 pm

fielle wrote:I somehow doubt that this is the right way to go about things, but . . .
When I went to Japan (I'm from the USA) for a shade under 3 months, I took a side trip to Korea for a few days, and on returning got a New Shiney Tourist Visa.

I think there are others who employ the "Random Side Trip To Korea" method of staying longer on just a tourist visa. If you do it too many times they may start to grumble, but I didn't even get a second look for my re-entry.

Ya I don't think this way is for me. For me the risk is too big that they would not let me back into the country.

I think I will first try to find some schools that grant student visas and check them out first and then I guess go from there.
If your looking to learn Hiragana and Katakana try out http://www.interactivejapanese.com/.
chobo2

Postby cocosushi » Thu 11.20.2008 2:39 am

Have you tried talking or e-mailing someone at the community college to help you out with the visa because normally a school gives you a certificate of eligibity which is needed for that visa. Try contacting the school.
cocosushi

Postby chobo2 » Thu 11.20.2008 2:59 am

cocosushi wrote:Have you tried talking or e-mailing someone at the community college to help you out with the visa because normally a school gives you a certificate of eligibity which is needed for that visa. Try contacting the school.

No I have not talked to anyone in the community college. I know with 3months I should not need a visa(since I can stay 90days in the country without a visa since I am Canadian).

Other schools my contact in Japan looked into said a minimum of 6months where needed before they would sponsor me.
chobo2

Postby outlaws0025 » Wed 02.04.2009 5:38 pm

This might be a stupid question.. but what happens if you just stay in the country for over 3 months? I mean is it possible just to travel to another country and then stay there?
outlaws0025

Postby chobo2 » Wed 02.04.2009 5:49 pm

outlaws0025 wrote:This might be a stupid question.. but what happens if you just stay in the country for over 3 months? I mean is it possible just to travel to another country and then stay there?

Um what I heard is if you stay longer then 3months and get caught they will most likely deport you and maybe even ban you from ever coming back.

It seems like some people do travel to another country and then come back. I don't know how risky that is like I don't know how long you have to be out of Japan till the 90days get reset.
chobo2

Postby outlaws0025 » Thu 02.05.2009 5:10 pm

Well, i just saw this tv-program where a very rich couple here from Denmark was looking for a big house and it all ended with they said something like: "We decided to buy a house in Spain (I think it was) and now we' plan to go there and live permanently".
Many celebs do the same i think... I just don't know how:(
outlaws0025

Postby lazyrapper » Wed 02.25.2009 12:57 am

outlaws0025 wrote:Well, i just saw this tv-program where a very rich couple here from Denmark was looking for a big house and it all ended with they said something like: "We decided to buy a house in Spain (I think it was) and now we' plan to go there and live permanently".
Many celebs do the same i think... I just don't know how:(

Both Denmark and spain are members of the European Community.
Residents of a EU country don't need a visa to live in another EU country.
lazyrapper

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan