Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Online Japanese Profiency Test Program?

Online Japanese Profiency Test Program?

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Online Japanese Profiency Test Program?

Postby Kenitai » Sun 11.16.2008 7:02 am

Maybe a bit of a ridiculous suggestion, since it's pretty hard to built... But since this idea came into my mind and stayed into my mind since visiting TJP somewhere early this year or last year. I thought it'd like everyone know.

Basicly, much like the real test in 4 levels, but just to compare how far you've gone in knowing the language, and compared to other users. Then there's a score table, with maybe the first 1000-500 users who have achieved a reasonable to perfect score in points and percentage. An easy efficient maybe browser-based program.
I suppose you're already getting the idea.

Again, a bit of a ridiculous suggestion, since I know it requires a sort of a genius of a programmer to set up a program like that...
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Re: Online Japanese Profiency Test Program?

Postby nukemarine » Sun 11.16.2008 8:11 am

I doubt it takes much genius in programming. It's more about resources: Gathering of questions (VERY BIG ITEM) and servers are the problem. Keeping track of the data on how you do compared to others is not much of a stretch.

Ultimately though, what do you think you'll get from it? You can pretty much take any previous test and see how you stack up that way. Doing well on a 2005 test or a 2003 test probably means you'll do well on future tests. Now, if it's an automated way to take an equivalent of the JLPT test, then I guess that can be good. Anything to save people from wasting 70 dollars which does nothing for them but confirm how much Japanese they know.

Granted, I'm of the opinion one should not study for the JLPT. One should study Japanese, then if you're inclined take the JLPT to gauge your level (as if the ability to read Japanese websites, watch Japanese drama and talk to Japanese friends on skype is not enough of an indicator). My opinion also applies to studying for any test be that the SAT, physical fitness tests and Navy advancement exams (though the later involves a pay raise, so maybe studying for that has greater incentive).
nukemarine

Postby richvh » Sun 11.16.2008 8:18 am

Plus the past tests are copyrighted, so unless you get the proper permissions you can't use those questions, and making up equivalent questions is a non-trivial endeavor.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Kenitai » Sun 11.16.2008 10:17 am

Hmm... Yeah I think that makes sense. And while it doesn't necessarily needs to be a JPT, the servers are indeed a problem... Oh well.
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.16.2008 11:17 am

nukemarine wrote:My opinion also applies to studying for any test be that the SAT

Nobody takes the SAT to gauge their own level of ability -- you take it for college admissions and financial aid, and you're essentially competing with other people who are all studying for the test; why handicap yourself?

Also, there's not always a big difference between studying for a test and studying a subject; when I studied for the JLPT 1 I studied grammar points that I knew would show up on the test, but then I also learned those grammar points for reading other stuff as well.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby nukemarine » Sun 11.16.2008 8:00 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
nukemarine wrote:My opinion also applies to studying for any test be that the SAT

Nobody takes the SAT to gauge their own level of ability -- you take it for college admissions and financial aid, and you're essentially competing with other people who are all studying for the test; why handicap yourself?

Also, there's not always a big difference between studying for a test and studying a subject; when I studied for the JLPT 1 I studied grammar points that I knew would show up on the test, but then I also learned those grammar points for reading other stuff as well.

Without doing a thread search, I believe I've read on these forums from time to time people who talked about not studying such and such item since it's not on the JLPT. Now that is not a useful mindset.

I've been in the military for 15 years. It, like corporate life, is full of examples of standardized evaluation of people. It just gets annoying seeing year after year people without chops for a job still get good evaluations or test scores simply because they game the system. The TPOEC (sp?), JLPT, SAT, ASVAB, CLEP, etc are standardized and therefore ripe for gaming. Hell, they put videos and books out on it.

Thing is, comparing the guy that didn't study specifically for the JLPT1 and gets 70% to the guy that studied specifically for the JLPT1 and got 70%, which likely has better grasp of Japanese?

But like you mention and I've mentioned: if you're going to get some tangible benefit from it such as a pay raise, job hiring, promotion, etc. then study for the test. If it's for your own assessment, which I think a LARGE part of those taking JLPT 4 through 2 are doing, then don't study for it. You get a better gauge that way.
nukemarine

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 11.16.2008 8:21 pm

Kenitai wrote:Again, a bit of a ridiculous suggestion, since I know it requires a sort of a genius of a programmer to set up a program like that...

Actually, it's not as hard as you think.
I made one in flash, and one in C# a couple of years ago and my friends have been using it for some time.
I have a collection of about 2000 "sample questions" from previous JLPTs and various other sources that I put into the software and it runs fairly well.

It doesn't rank you against other people, but that would be piddly to implement if you were to make it into a webapp.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby katafei » Sat 11.22.2008 11:14 pm

You might like to check out this site.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Kenitai » Sun 11.23.2008 9:53 pm

Wow, katafei, thanks for the link! ^_^ I suppose that's the type of program I was suggesting
Kenitai

Return to Suggestions