Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - the 'r' sound when it comes after 'n'

the 'r' sound when it comes after 'n'

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

the 'r' sound when it comes after 'n'

Postby myles1260 » Sun 11.30.2008 2:55 am

Hi everyone, not sure if this is in the right place, so I'm sorry if it is not.
One thing I have noticed is that pronouncing the 'r' sound when it comes after 'n' is the most difficult thing for me in pronunciation of Japanese.

For example, in the word: 完了(かんりょう)

After a while of thinking about why I was having so much difficulty with this, I came up with an answer, which I think is reasonable... When pronouncing a Japanese 'r' sound, your tongue briefly hits the roof of your mouth, but when it comes after an 'n' sound, like in the above example, I have trouble with it because when you pronounce an 'n', your tongue is already touching the roof of your mouth, so you can't really take it off and touch it to the top again to make the 'r' sound or else there is a break in the speech... sort of. It makes it like 2 separate words... sort of.

I don't know how anyone would go about helping me on this, but if anyone comes up with a way they think they can help me please post :)
Thanks in advance.
myles1260

Re: the 'r' sound when it comes after 'n'

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 11.30.2008 3:38 am

Don't try to "double-clutch" your tongue. Just leave it in gear and motor right along.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Sun 11.30.2008 4:27 am

Just like Mike said.

It's obviously hard to explain through text, but if you imagine just making an R sound, there's kind of an "er" sound as your tongue moves towards the top of your mouth, and then then "proper" R sound starts.

When pronouncing R after N, just forget about that "er" part. Say the N, and then continue with the last half of the R sound.

I admit it is kind of hard to pronounce quickly. I suggest saying it a few times really slowly while you think about what your tongue is doing.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby myles1260 » Sun 11.30.2008 8:17 pm

Thank you... I think I understand it, because I've been doing it that way, but I wasn't sure if it was correct, because the transition for that particular instance sounds a bit different than when you usually make the normal 'r' sound.

I can see how this sort of thing was hard to explain through text, but I actually understood it. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, and that was an interesting metaphor :wink:
myles1260

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)