Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any unexplained experiences?

Any unexplained experiences?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Any unexplained experiences?

Postby Kenitai » Tue 12.02.2008 1:12 am

Recently I'm pretty much into paranormal stuff on the net, so I wanted to talk about anyone's or someone's friend's/relative's paranormal experience ?

My mother's experience for example(she told me it) was when I was little around 6 years old. About a fly swatter that went missing around the day. While at night while we're all sleeping, a sound was made what seemed to be the fly swatter, hitting multiple times in the living room. She went downstairs and found the swatter on the table. Mind you that everyone but her was sleeping.

Another time, years later when both my parents went for a walk in a light rainy weather. Looking at the items inside a shop, they appeared to have seen a person in a yellow coat by the reflection of the window. No one was behind or anywhere near when my dad looked back(he saw it at first).

Another one, when my uncle stayed at my grandmother's house, when at midnight, he saw an apparition of my long deceased grandfather, sitting in his favorite chair, in the basement.

So far I haven't experienced any yet, which I am GLAD.

Anyone else wanting to share?
Last edited by Kenitai on Wed 12.03.2008 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Native language: Dutch

Re: Any paranormal experiences?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 12.02.2008 1:44 am

When I was 5 or 6 I was sleeping with my parents in their room, when I woke up in the middle of the night and looked at the door. In the door was the silhouette of a man wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

Scared the crap out of me, and I hid under the covers for the rest of the night.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 12.02.2008 10:53 am

I don't know if it's paranormal or not, but I've occasionally experienced sleep paralysis accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations, known as 金縛り in Japanese. It doesn't half freak you out. Anyone else ever experience this?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 12.02.2008 11:45 am

The paranormal is rubbish. Reports are better explained with the science of human perception. IMO more interesting reading anyway.

becki_kanou wrote:I don't know if it's paranormal or not, but I've occasionally experienced sleep paralysis accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations, known as 金縛り in Japanese. It doesn't half freak you out. Anyone else ever experience this?

I get sleep paralysis on infrequent occasions, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I have found it possible to turn into more proper lucid dreaming, though have never been successful at inducing a wakeup save waiting it out for about 10-30 seconds.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.02.2008 11:58 am

Gundaetiapo wrote:The paranormal is rubbish. Reports are better explained with the science of human perception. IMO more interesting reading anyway..

No need to attack the OP if you don't agree with him.
two_heads_talking

Postby Dehitay » Tue 12.02.2008 3:54 pm

I can't remember experiencing anything paranormal, but I am a sadistic jerk who likes to scare naive people whenever I get the chance. I keep a lot of paranoid friends on hand just for that purpose.

Once I had a not so tech savvy friend who had a TV that you can program to turn on and off at certain times. Of course he had no clue this technology existed on his TV. So when I spend the night over at his place once, I set the clock and timer to come on at midnight. And to make things even more entertaining, about 10 pm, I told him a story about a ghost that goes to peoples' houses and tries watching TV. If he doesn't find anything interesting on TV, he kills everybody who lives in the house. Then I made sure he knew where the remote was and that he saw my hands were empty before midnight. Oh the joy of being a jerk.

There was another time when I was at a sleep over and ended up falling asleep before everybody else. However, they made so much noise that they woke me up before I got too much sleep. I was so sluggish, I didn't bother moving. Then I realized that they still thought I was asleep. So any time they would leave the room, I would move stuff around, flicker lights, and make noises. Before they came back, I resumed my sleeping position.

One thing I did a few times used a toy figurine of a soldier or anything human. I would use a string long enough to tie a noose around the figurine's neck and tie the other end to something on the roof. Then I would hand the figurine from a tree and weigh down the string right above his neck with ice so that he stayed hanging on the tree till enough of the ice melted. Then inside the house, I would tell a tale about a curse for people that didn't take care of their toys and hope the figurine fell free and hit the window at the right time. This trick actually failed a great number of times. But the timing was so perfect the first time, that I did it over and over hoping for the same results.

So if you're ever in a freaky situation and want a reasonable explanation for it, just assume I'm responsible
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby AJBryant » Wed 12.03.2008 1:04 am

You ask the weirdest questions, man. :)
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Kenitai » Wed 12.03.2008 1:14 am

AJBryant wrote:You ask the weirdest questions, man. :)

That's really what this thread is about... talks about the unexplainable. Some believe in it, some don't. :)
The most addictive and effective way, to read & learn Kanji... Visit Readthekanji.com
Kenitai

Postby Infidel » Wed 12.03.2008 1:21 am

becki_kanou wrote:I don't know if it's paranormal or not, but I've occasionally experienced sleep paralysis accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations, known as 金縛り in Japanese. It doesn't half freak you out. Anyone else ever experience this?

My friend that had a rather bad case of narcolepsy taught me more than I ever wanted to know about the subject. His problem, of course, was having sleep paralysis while in motion, such as running or driving. Surprise seemed to trigger an attack. His attacks only lasted a fraction of a second though, so he might stumble a bit, then recover. Others might colapse to the floor for minutes at a time.

As for me, I do sometimes have sleep paralysis and it is always accompanied by auditory hallucinations. Sometimes I'll force myself awake only to find no-one is there. But the rest of the time, if i've no reason to feel worry, i'll just accept it for what it is, and try to go to a deeper sleep.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Re: Any unexplained experiences?

Postby Kenitai » Wed 12.03.2008 1:30 am

I changed the thread title a bit, so we can talk about anything as long as it is something you can't explain in a sense of scientific terms.
Kenitai

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 12.03.2008 5:52 am

I just remembered another one in my current house in Japan.

My wife was away on a trip, so it was just me in the house when I heard someone ring the doorbell.
"Who the hell could it be at 10pm?" I thought, as I ran to the door.
I opened the door, and of course no one was there.

That's when I realized that I had never heard the doorbell in our house ring before.
I looked at the doorbell speaker, and then looked at the button outside that the guest would push. No button.
I saw the cable that went out of the doorbell speaker through the wall and outside. Went outside, and found that the cable just ended in a raw cable that was coiled on the ground.

Freaked all to hell, I decided to take the batteries out of the doorbell speaker.

No batteries.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kenitai » Wed 12.03.2008 6:26 am

Harisenbon wrote:I just remembered another one in my current house in Japan.

My wife was away on a trip, so it was just me in the house when I heard someone ring the doorbell.

That's when I realized that I had never heard the doorbell in our house ring before.
I looked at the doorbell speaker, and then looked at the button outside that the guest would push. No button.
I saw the cable that went out of the doorbell speaker through the wall and outside. Went outside, and found that the cable just ended in a raw cable that was coiled on the ground.

Freaked all to hell, I decided to take the batteries out of the doorbell speaker.

No batteries.

That sounds freaky as hell indeed. I wonder what it could have been. My curiousity side of my brain is thinking about poltergeist activity, merely because I've heard that spirits can influence electricity, or in fact that they are made up of electro particles or whatever.

Now everyone, wether it's true or not, you can make up your own beliefs, but that's what I've heard.(Just incase people think I'm getting a bit paranoid or something)
Kenitai

Postby Infidel » Wed 12.03.2008 7:37 am

Harisenbon wrote:I just remembered another one in my current house in Japan.

No batteries.

Ya, stuff like that can happen if a plane or something beams your house directly with radar of the right frequency for your power wire to act as an antenna. It's more something you'll see on older or poorly shielded wires. Coiling antennas is a great way to conserve space but have one of the right length too.

All an antenna is really, is something that converts radio waves to electricity, you can actually stick a wire into a rock and have a feasible antenna, it doesn't have to be a wire. Normally it's very low voltage, but again, if your antenna gets beamed directly, even though the efficiency of conversion is extremely poor, if the base power is enough, you will get a decent voltage and amplitude at the other end.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby keatonatron » Wed 12.03.2008 8:37 am

Harisenbon wrote:When I was 5 or 6 I was sleeping with my parents in their room, when I woke up in the middle of the night and looked at the door. In the door was the silhouette of a man wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

It was Dehitay.

That, or the ghost of Mike's avatar...
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.03.2008 9:56 am

keatonatron wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:When I was 5 or 6 I was sleeping with my parents in their room, when I woke up in the middle of the night and looked at the door. In the door was the silhouette of a man wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

It was Dehitay.

That, or the ghost of Mike's avatar...

or any of the black hat crew.. lol
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to General off topic