Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anki for Grammar?

Anki for Grammar?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Anki for Grammar?

Postby leonl » Thu 12.04.2008 3:36 pm

For Anki users how did/do you go about using anki to learn and memorise grammar points. Do you fill it with example sentences from your textbook or do you just make cards for certain grammar points?

Ex.
Sushi o taberu no ga suki desu
I Like to eat sushi
(this type of card)

or
Suru no ga suki desu
I like to do etc
(this type of card)

What do you beileve is more effective
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: Anki for Grammar?

Postby Mercenary » Thu 12.04.2008 8:13 pm

Edit: Changed my method slightly. Now I just have a Japanese sentence on one side and English on the other with the specific grammar aspect on that fact bolded, by using the Japanese model I can include the grammar point in the "reading" section. This I find works better than my prior method since it requires me to translate each time I review a card and actually put the grammar to use, while still providing the point for reference after the card is answered.
Last edited by Mercenary on Sun 12.07.2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mercenary

Postby furrykef » Fri 12.05.2008 12:27 am

leonl wrote:Ex.
Sushi o taberu no ga suki desu
I Like to eat sushi
(this type of card)

or
Suru no ga suki desu
I like to do etc
(this type of card)

I'm a bit confused. They look the same to me except "Suru no ga suki desu" borders on nonsense... are you using "suru" as a sort of "insert verb here"? In that case I'd definitely prefer the first... it's more concrete and can help you with vocabulary as well as grammar. There's no downside to it, really. Do try to learn only one or two new things per card, though. If a card has too many new things, it will be hard to learn unless you're putting other examples of those new things on other cards.

Mercenary wrote:On Conjugations I do it a little differently [...]

I've never used flash cards to memorize conjugations (aside from irregular verbs, which Japanese barely has), although you can certainly use them to practice them. I think they should be practiced by rote, though. They really need to be internalized and I think doing it by rote is a bit more efficient for starting that process.

Japanese is agglutinative in a reasonably predictable way (most of the time), so you don't have to practice many different forms. If you know that the negative of "omoshiroi" is "omoshirokunai", and that the past tense of "nai" is "nakatta", it follows pretty naturally that the past negative of "omoshiroi" is "omoshirokunakatta". (You still need to practice, though. I'm rather embarrassed by a Livemocha exercise I did a month or so ago where I made very elementary mistakes in conjugating adjectives, writing things like "青いじゃありません" instead of "青くないです" or "青くありません"...)

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Mercenary » Fri 12.05.2008 1:49 pm

Edited: As above.
Last edited by Mercenary on Sun 12.07.2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mercenary

Postby leonl » Fri 12.05.2008 1:57 pm

Yeah sorry about that, I was just using suru as place holder should've clarified that
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips