Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for busy people questions.

Japanese for busy people questions.

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for busy people questions.

Postby dudie » Sun 12.07.2008 6:06 pm

I think this might be posted before but the search function wasn't really helping.

I've been interested in learning Japanese for a few years but all the times i tried to study it online on here i kindda ended it 2 weeks later. I'm just not a person who's good at learning a language behind my mac. So i went to check some self study courses in my country and figured out that the one i was interested in uses the Japanese for busy people series. Now that course is way expensive so i'm planning to just buy the books myself which is a whole lot cheaper then studying with them. But now i have a few questions about the series just to make sure i get a good start in studying.

I'm planning to buy the Japanese for Busy People 1 textbook (Kana version, I believe it's also better to get used to that from the start). But i can't find a kana version workbook. Is that a problem? Not that i get confused coz one uses Kana and the other Romanji. And is it really advised to buy the workbook aswell? I think it is but i hear some only have the textbook so i want to make sure. Also i found a teacher's manual. Do i need that one if i'm studying by myself? I mean i want to do it right and check that but on the other hand i'm no teacher and i'm not really taking 'lessons'.

Ohh and i'm wondering how long it takes to master Japanese for busy people 1. I know that's different for everybody but i just want to get some idea. :)
dudie

Native language: Dutch

Re: Japanese for busy people questions.

Postby Sairana » Sun 12.07.2008 6:13 pm

dudie wrote:s it really advised to buy the workbook aswell? I think it is but i hear some only have the textbook so i want to make sure.

Workbook = extra practice. That's always a good thing, but not exactly necessary. Make your best judgment on whether you think more practice is necessary for -you-. Do you tend to pick things up quickly? Do you think you could improvise your own "additional practice"? If yes to both of those, then maybe you don't need the workbook. If you tend to need reinforcement more in other studies, then the workbook becomes less optional.

dudie wrote:i'm wondering how long it takes to master Japanese for busy people 1

That's impossible to gauge. I would presume that "most people" complete the textbook in approximately two semester's worth of credit hours at a typical (United States) University, which is to say thirty weeks at approximately 12 hrs of week (6 hrs class time average + 6 hrs study).
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Re: Japanese for busy people questions.

Postby chikara » Sun 12.07.2008 7:58 pm

dudie wrote:.... Ohh and i'm wondering how long it takes to master Japanese for busy people 1. I know that's different for everybody but i just want to get some idea. :)

I studied Japanese in a classroom situation using the Japanese for Busy People series (kana editions). We spent the first year on book 1. Not sure if I would say I "mastered" it in that time :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips