Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 3級 2008

JLPT 3級 2008

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Re: JLPT 3級 2008

Postby somethinorwatever » Wed 07.02.2008 2:48 am

i want to try it. I probably wont take the test this year, but it doesn't help to keep studying =]
somethinorwatever

Postby dimitri_can » Fri 08.08.2008 9:23 am

I have some JLPT 3 notes over here that i wrote myself. Hope it's useful.

Do let me know if you have any comments.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m98kjj
dimitri_can

Postby Pork Chop » Fri 09.05.2008 2:50 pm

Sorry I've been AWOL on this thread.
The forum changed around the time I made it.
Yesterday I finally registered, I'm taking JLPT 3 in DC (cheapest place to fly to).
Mostly studying on my own - luckily I got some stuff that tracks my usage, which keeps me on task everyday.
Haven't read much of the JLPT3 group's posts, but if anyone wants to study together, feel free to email me.
Been using stuff from http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/Download.htm and japanesepod101.com sites.
Pork Chop

Postby hellfirebg » Mon 12.08.2008 3:24 am

Hi, I just got back in my hometown after taking the test yesterday. I found the first part to be quite easy, I think I finished about 15 minutes before the time limit was over and had the opportunity to correct a few mistakes I made on the answer sheets :oops: . The first part of the listening was ok , but unfortunately I lost my concentration a few times during the second part so I'm not so sure I did as well on that one. The grammar section also had its tough questions but overall it wasn't hard in my opinion. By the way I am very concerned about one of the questions, because I'm almost positive there was a mistake in the answers. The question was :
私は日本語が_________なくても、かまいませんか?
And the answers: 上手、上手に、上手だ、上手で
Obviously the first thing that came to mind was 上手ではなくても but I am absolutely sure that the は was missing. Is there a way to inform the people behind the JLPT about such a mistake and what possible solution could could they provide the people who took 3 kyuu this year with?
Anyway I'm happy with my performance so I can't wait until the results are announced. If somebody else took 3 kyuu yesterday, feel free to send me a PM so we could talk about it =) .
hellfirebg

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 12.08.2008 4:33 am

「上手でなくても、かまいませんか?」 is grammatically fine and that should be the correct answer. You don't always need the は.

Congratulations and お疲れ様 for finishing the JLPT, BTW. :D
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby bigbill » Mon 12.08.2008 5:12 am

I have also taken the JLPT3 yesterday and i think that was easy except for some tricky questions in grammar. I think that in kanji-vocabulary part i have taken up to 90%. in listening I was confused ni some questions in first part but the 2nd part was too easy and the grammar which is my weak point expect around 70%.
Now, I am willing take and the JLPT2 in 2-3 years which is far difficult.
bigbill

Native language: Greek

Postby hellfirebg » Mon 12.08.2008 7:19 am

becki_kanou wrote:「上手でなくても、かまいませんか?」 is grammatically fine and that should be the correct answer. You don't always need the は.

ありがとう :) 。Curse my poor informal japanese skills -__- .

BTW the test questions and answers were leaked in a chinese website and I'm very happy to find out that I've made only one mistake in moji/goi and four in bunpoo. I just hope the chookai results don't mess up my final score too much.
hellfirebg

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 12.08.2008 1:56 pm

I took JLPT 3 in DC.
I was the big, bald, hung-over guy in the Guiness sweat shirt in the front row for anybody who was there.

I missed that 上手 question- I kept wanting to select で, but in the end it just didn't look right so I went back and changed it to に, which also didn't sound right.

I'm pretty confident that I missed 4 questions or less on each of the first and third sections.

That question where the sentence called for a "but", and the answer choices were でも, のに, ので, and one other (I forget which), really didn't sit well with me either. けど was the natural choice given the sentence structure but wasn't one of the options. I don't think が was an option either. I went with でも eventhough I KNEW the lack of a period after the verb meant that it was probably wrong. のに has a sense of regret and woulda worked better for the second half of the sentence (where they did something regardless of being told not to), so I didn't feel comfortable choosing that one. ので has the "because" connotation so choosing that one for a sentence where they did the opposite of what they were told made no sense.

I'm worried about the listening - the hangover destroyed my short term memory & my attention span.
There were at least 3 or 4 questions on the listening that I have very little confidence in my answers.
I spaced out on the question about the girl who needed help getting her packages home from the station, so I guessed on that answer - the available answers were nothing like what i was anticipating.
I felt like my memory might have been playing tricks on me for the calendar question, but i went with what I remembered on that one.
The first question about the clothes with pockets - i didn't hear the words i was expecting, so i ended up deducing which one it was from the supporting information (I said pants).

As far as taking the test, I remember someone recommending writing down all the nouns & verbs from the listening section in my native language (for speed) so as to be not so memory-intensive. I still found it very hard to keep up. Also, while I was concentrating so hard on writing as fast as I could, I know I missed important words.

If I passed the listening I know I passed the test.
Can you fail a section and still pass the test?

I learned a lot for next time - which will either be the new test that's being created as a stepping stone between the current JLPT 2 & 3; or I might take JLPT 2.

Next time, I know to be more brief in my notes of the listening section but also to write down all the answers too; so even if I don't hear the answer I'm anticipating, at least I can still make a more educated guess.

I also know to invest the money in practice tests.
There used to be a site online with a bunch of old tests available for free but i couldn't find it the whole 2 months before the test and didn't shell out the cash for more official copies.

I got a lot more mileage out of the Unicom JLPT book that I only studied a little bit out of, than all the hours I spent trying to get my kanji up to snuff. I'd ignored kanji for the majority of my 15 years studying this language & am using these exams as an excuse to finally tackle reading.

My study schedule for this exam was pretty atrocious.
Focused on kanji a bit towards the end, but in general - really didn't study all that much.
I hadn't touched that Unicom book in 3 or 4 months before the test & only got half way through it.
I didn't try any practice tests or even spend any time prepping for the listening - i took it for granted because spoken Japanese has always been my specialty.

My biggest mistake was letting my friends; who I hadn't seen in about a year, get me drunk the night before.
I was relaxed on the test, but I know I should've done much better on the listening, and I ended up waking up so late that I had no time to review before the test.

Level 3 was mostly for my own edification.
Even if the snafu on the listening prevents me passing, I'm confident my Japanese is at that level already so I won't bother taking the test again.

The big question is "which test will I take next year?".
I'm going to finish the books I have in the short term to make sure my level's where it should have been come test time and then I'll take a look at some old JLPT 2 exams to see if it's something I could attempt next year.
Again, my biggest worry is the kanji, but I have the resources to get well beyond 500 by June if I just stay on track.
Pork Chop

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.08.2008 2:06 pm

hellfirebg wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:「上手でなくても、かまいませんか?」 is grammatically fine and that should be the correct answer. You don't always need the は.

Just as a side note, this is not an issue of informal Japanese -- even though では is usually learned as a unit in textbooks, this is just the gerund of the copula だ plus the particle は. Even though the は is often there, in some cases it is not used, as in this case. This is not an issue of informal vs. formal Japanese but an issue of the meaning of the particle は.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby hellfirebg » Mon 12.08.2008 2:42 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
hellfirebg wrote:

Just as a side note, this is not an issue of informal Japanese -- even though では is usually learned as a unit in textbooks, this is just the gerund of the copula だ plus the particle は. Even though the は is often there, in some cases it is not used, as in this case. This is not an issue of informal vs. formal Japanese but an issue of the meaning of the particle は.

I really wish my textbook had a similar explanation or my teacher had infromed me of this issue earlier this year . Well, at least now I know :) .

By the way, I just remembered a similar question that is related with particles and was on teh test yesterday:
かばんを買いに行ったが、どれでも高くて、買えなかった。
I was in quite a tight spot here and found ti very tough choosing どれでも over どれも. From whan I know, I can say that どれでも means everything, while どれも means nothing, but I remember that when the verb was in its negative form I should always use どれも. However when translating it to English and my native language, Bulgarian, the sentence had the meaning: " I went to buy a purse but everything was expensive and I couldn't buy anything." In the end I chose どれでも but there's a huge possibility that I've made a mistake.
Last edited by hellfirebg on Mon 12.08.2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellfirebg

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.08.2008 2:54 pm

どれでも sounds right to me.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby richvh » Mon 12.08.2008 3:40 pm

I don't know, I think どれも is better in that sentence.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.08.2008 3:51 pm

Actually you're probably right.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby blueskyJENY » Mon 12.08.2008 4:28 pm

I put どれでも!^^
blueskyJENY

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.08.2008 4:56 pm

The reason I went for どれでも is that you are talking about actually buying one, but it seems to me like either one might be possible. I feel bad since this is a 3-kyuu question; does anyone know what the real answer is?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test