Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 3級 2008

JLPT 3級 2008

The test - experiences, questions or comments

Re: JLPT 3級 2008

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 12.08.2008 6:56 pm

I think I put どれでも; for the simple similarity to どっちでもいい.
The idea that you didn't buy anything, or the fact that they were expensive may have negative connotations, but the truth is that the adjective wasn't in the negative form, which is true for all of the other ~も constructs.
(誰もいない、何もない、etc)

I really hope I didn't change my answer to どれも.
I don't mind getting this question wrong, but I do mind if I didn't follow my own logic system - like the 上手に/で fiasco i mentioned earlier - i had no real logic for choosing に, i just didn't think で was right without the は。
I would rather get this question wrong with どれでも and figure out the flaw in my logic than change my answer to the correct choice because I was just scared that what I really thought might've been wrong.
Pork Chop

Postby richvh » Mon 12.08.2008 7:45 pm

<Question word>も isn't inherently negative; it's just that 何も and 誰も have been replaced by (or never managed to replace) other expressions for "everyone" and "everything": 全て、皆、全員 etc. That restriction doesn't apply to どれも、いつも、どちらも etc.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby snmcrae » Mon 12.08.2008 7:51 pm

どれもis correct.

The sentence is trying to state: "I went shopping for a bag, but everything was expensive, so I wasn't able to buy (one)."

どれでも would mean "anything" or "whichever" or "anyone", not "everything". It does not make sense to me in the context of this sentence.

どれも means "everything", and as these examples from WWWJDIC show, it can have a positive as well as a negative sense:
::この近所の家はどれもとてもよく似ているので見分けがつかない。
::All the houses in this neighborhood look so much alike that I can't tell them apart.
::映画はどれもたいくつだ。
::All the films are boring.

All 〜も constructions are not negative! In fact, they can all be positive! Look at these examples lifted from WWWJDIC:
::この頃は、誰もがお金に困っているようです。
::Everyone seems to be short of money these days.
::春になるとどこも美しく見える。
::Everywhere looks beautiful in the spring.
snmcrae

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 12.08.2008 10:56 pm

snmncrae is spot on, it's definitely どれも.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 12.08.2008 11:31 pm

It does seem to me that sometimes でも and も are at least somewhat interchangeable although they have connotations.

Searching through google I find phrases like the following:
今携帯は新しいのどれでも高いですからね
まあ、バスはどれでも高い

But the hits are very few.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 12.09.2008 1:10 am

richvh wrote:<Question word>も isn't inherently negative; it's just that 何も and 誰も have been replaced by (or never managed to replace) other expressions for "everyone" and "everything": 全て、皆、全員 etc. That restriction doesn't apply to どれも、いつも、どちらも etc.

good point, i was way too quick to generalize.
just going to assume I got it wrong.

As far as the logic behind why どれも is correct, I think I understand - it's the difference between "they all were expensive" and "whichever one was expensive".
I think normally in that situation I think I'd probably say 全部高かったから。。。or something to that effect; so it gets tough when the only available answers aren't something I'd normally say.

Thanks for the corrections guys. Feel like an idiot, but it's about the only way to get better. :)
Pork Chop

Postby kindycat » Sat 01.31.2009 9:28 pm

Hi, I know a website where there are the answers of the vocabulary and grammar tests (but not of the listening part)...
But I don't know wether I am allowed to write it here...
:roll:
kindycat

Native language: French

Previous

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test