Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby BrianM » Tue 08.12.2008 11:29 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:As I've said, in my (albeit limited) teaching experience, in which I've seen 120 first year students a year, I have not noticed any correlation between anime fandom and the success the students have in the Japanese program.

I think that's true, although my reason my not contain too many instances to come to a correct conclusion. My friend who I went to Japan with said, after we came back to the states, that he is gonna stop learning the language. He's heavily into anime. I think it makes sense though. Most people who like certain things from other countries may not want to learn the languages or their respective cultures.
I never got into anime, I don't see whats so fascinating about it. But thats just me:)
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Ikendo » Thu 08.14.2008 1:36 pm

It all started in 9th grade. I thought school was boring and I needed a challenge. After searching the internet, I found that a lot of people thought Japanese was hard. So, that's why I wanted to learn it, and I'm really glad I did. Not only is it a fantastic language, it’s really interesting and fun to learn too. :D
Ikendo

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 08.14.2008 4:05 pm

BrianM wrote:I think that's true, although my reason my not contain too many instances to come to a correct conclusion. My friend who I went to Japan with said, after we came back to the states, that he is gonna stop learning the language. He's heavily into anime. I think it makes sense though. Most people who like certain things from other countries may not want to learn the languages or their respective cultures.

There's a big difference between wanting to know Japanese and wanting to learn Japanese.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Ragevx1 » Thu 08.14.2008 9:36 pm

clay wrote:This may be our longest continuous thread. I actually remember when TokyoRoze started it (05 Feb 2005 04:27 pm), although I don't think I've posted my story :)

I had no clue what anime or even manga was when I started Japanese. I've come to like some manga a lot, but I've never gotten into anime. I can understand the appeal, though.

I became interested in Japanese because of a girl (not what you think) and a guy (definitely not what you think). I was volunteering at a language school for international students and met a few Japanese. One girl, Kumi, taught me very basic information (three writing systems: hiragana, katakana, and kanji; "konnichiwa"; and how to bow). That evening (a Friday) I bought Pimsleur's basic Japanese tapes. Over the weekend, I listened to it as much as possible. On Monday I impressed her with Pimsleuristic phrases, "ogenki desu ka? genki desu. okagasamade. nanika tabetai desu."

I met a teenage Japanese boy, Shintarou, who taught me the cool words (namely 'sugei') to the embarrassment of his parents. After meeting such nice people as Kumi and Shintarou I decided Japanese would be a nice thing to know. I guess my reason for learning Japanese, moving to Japan, marrying a Japanese lady, starting TJP, etc was because my first impressions of Japanese people was so positive.

Wow, Clay! Your not Japanese?? Since I got here I've always thought you were Japanese, which is the reason why you would try to teach people Japanese. I'm impressed.
Ragevx1

Postby ryuubu » Sun 08.17.2008 7:05 pm

I am one of the majority (minority apparently?) that joined by influence of anime, but grew out of that phase, while the Japanese addiction stayed. I think learning a language, especially one so different is a good challenge. I wanna be the best haha.
ryuubu

Postby Instant Radical » Thu 08.21.2008 10:15 am

Why am I learning Japanese? I don't have a really good answer for you.

When I was in middle school, I was exposed to anime through Toonami and similar things. It held my interest for a few years, I guess, but never incited any sort of interest in Japan. I lost interest in it, and as a result, anime and manga have had absolutely nothing to do with my desire to learn Japanese.

In 2006, I began actively searching for new music. Having an awareness of a large Japanese music industry but never particularly impressed by anything I heard - J-pop and those awful visual kei glam metal bands - never held the slightest appeal to me. But I nevertheless asked around, and quickly discovered that Japan has a vibrant, innovative, and flat-out excellent indie rock scene. My newfound interest in Japanese indie bands, combined with the knowledge that sooner or later I would need to learn a foreign language at my university, provoked some interest in Japanese. Additionally, one of my professors had lived in Japan for a number of years and was married to a Japanese woman; intrigued by his decidedly unusual course in life, my interest continued to increase.

At this time, I had never eaten Japanese food, learned anything about Japanese culture, or even known any Japanese people. But as I learned the language, my overall interest in Japan greatly increased. Unlike many people, it seems, my interest in Japan largely *resulted* from my study of the language.
Instant Radical

Postby m_ » Wed 09.03.2008 12:47 am

Ragevx1 wrote:Wow, Clay! Your not Japanese?? Since I got here I've always thought you were Japanese, which is the reason why you would try to teach people Japanese. I'm impressed.

I never had that idea, I always thought the people in this forum are willing to help the beginners as they have also went through the same beginner's stage at some point in the past and can more or less emphatise with people who have the interests and are trying hard to master the language, and of course perhaps there is also some conscious/subconsciously notion to flaunt one's supremancy in the language to others who aspire to become as skillful as them someday. ( I don't mean it in a derogatory way, I think it's healthy)

Instant Radical wrote:In 2006, I began actively searching for new music. Having an awareness of a large Japanese music industry but never particularly impressed by anything I heard - J-pop and those awful visual kei glam metal bands - never held the slightest appeal to me. But I nevertheless asked around, and quickly discovered that Japan has a vibrant, innovative, and flat-out excellent indie rock scene.

Wow, this is like speaking exactly of me.

anyway I thought about it and realised I am not learning Japanese because of my love for the japan indie punk scene. I only discovered it after starting to learn Japanese. It is not possible to learn the language without an immerse interest in the culture, and also impossible not to experience and discover more of the culture while learning the language. Learning another langauge really opens up an entirely new world.
The first time the idea of learning Japanese hit me was when I was studying for my diploma and realised my school has a Japanese course, and I wanted to check it out but never did due to my part time job commitments. The thought stayed with me but I do not know where to start. I then had a bad experience with a language centre that never helped to motivate my interests. The only thing I learnt for the entire course fees was hiragana and katakana, which is a start. But I still had strong interest in Japanese and eventually found TJP and bought Genki from the online shop and started.
I think I would surely have given up if not for this site. Hence here, I wish to sincerely thank Clay-san and TJP for providing the platform for people like me with interest in the language, and also all you peeps who have been responding to my queries. I remember you.
☆⌒(*^∇゜)v ありがとう!

Instant Radical-san - I pm you my youtube channel, do check it out.
May people with similar interests connect. \(*^O^*)/
m_

Postby epokw » Tue 12.09.2008 7:44 am

If I learnt Japanese, my life would be better overall and I'd be a more happier person.

I mean, how can I resist 2ch, J-Dorama, manga, j-pop and having a "secret/alternative life" in Japanese :mrgreen:
epokw

Postby Ghettobob » Thu 12.25.2008 12:19 am

Anime was what made me interested. I always wanted to watch and understand an Anime RAW.
I think that would be the coolest thing. I would see things about Japan on TV and the internet and thought the culture and what not was pretty cool. I want to move there some day.

So here I am.
Ghettobob

Postby Flik » Sun 12.28.2008 2:22 am

I want to study Japanese because their culture is the most unique I've ever seen (traditional culture, at least). Their clothing, building style and many forms of art really entice me. When I become a more capable Japanese speaker, I want to visit shinto temples, view different ceremonies and plays, and generally get a feel for the nation. I also enjoy the challenge that learning Japanese presents. While not one of my main motivations, it would also be nice to play Japanese import games and know what is going on. :D
Flik

Native language: English

Postby Kurious » Fri 01.30.2009 8:55 am

On January 1 2005, I was browsing a casual web games site and came across a Japanese site for a game (I only play casual games). There was a lot of Japanese text in the page and I thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice if I understood something. I searched for a tutorial on the Japanese language out of pure curiousity (hence my nick, Kurious). I found it so easy and I liked it so much that I decided to keep on studying. I'm learning very slowly, I have no hurry at all. Learning Japanese is not difficult, it just takes a long time to learn...

Then on early 2008, I went to YouTube (which I rarely ever visited) to search for bloopers. I only found one funny video about karate bloopers, so I tried a search with the word "laugh", and up came "Laugh Away" music video by Yui. And I have to say that she made me a fan at the very first verse. I LOVE her voice. "Laugh Away" is still among my all-time favorites. I bought her first 3 albums (haven't checked the 4th).

After a while I read a comment on a forum that went something like this-- "Man, whoever does not know about Morning Musume barely knows a thing about Japan, because they're like, a superpopular group." So I checked out MM and I gotta say that I love them as well! My favorite is "Sakura Mankai", a slow tempo song that is very likable. Also very likable is "Ai no Tane", their first song. I've come to explore a lot more of Hello! Project and Nice Girl Project. C-ute is probably my favorite group right now, "Homerare Nobiko no Theme Kyoku" is my current favorite. Melon Kinenbi has a song that I like very much, "Amai Anata no Aji". Finally, I'll mention "Shiawase no Katachi" by The Possible, which I find excellent. It doesn't want to stop being heard. :D

So, I now want to learn Japanese so that I can enjoy the music more. Right now I'm enjoying all this J-Pop so much.

m_ wrote:Learning another langauge really opens up an entirely new world.

So true.
Kurious

Postby KendoForLife » Thu 02.05.2009 6:48 am

I've been obsessed with the samurai since I was a little girl. It all started with a monthly east german comic magazine about adventures with samurai, explaining in detail everything from katana forging to the idea of the way of the warrior and it just really fascinated me. Of course I never dreamt about ever getting close to Japan or learning the language, you know, iron curtain and all that.

But then the wall fell and I was able to watch Shogun re-runs on west german TV :D That was also the time I started watching Anime. I think I was 10 then. Some years later I bought an anime magazine that had a monthly Japanese basics section. You know some kana, and the basic words (arigatou, etc) and I thought it was so cool, it just never progressed to a stage where I'd decide to go to university for japanese studies (sadly, I'm having a lot of if-only monents with it).

So now that I'm in my boring office job. I want nothing more to make up for lost time and learn the language of the country whose culture has influenced my life from very early on.

Needless to say I'd like to speak japanese with my kendo sensei and sempais who are japanese, and I also one day want to travel to japan and maybe participate in kendo practice there. I have plenty of motivation :D
KendoForLife

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion