Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - All Japanese All The Time

All Japanese All The Time

Japanese, general discussion on the language

All Japanese All The Time

Postby Kurasho » Tue 12.09.2008 7:03 pm

Hi guys. :)
Well I've recently come across this guy called Katz who provides the ideal way of achieving fluency in japanese (and all other languages).

A guy called Sam in Youtube had an conversation with him about his opinion in achieving fluency. Here are the links;

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J34i9lr94pI

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9wUEiSHtqU

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CikSHzrAZI

His website : http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/about

------------------------------------

I think his method is ideal. So what does everyone think?
Kurasho

Re: All Japanese All The Time

Postby nukemarine » Tue 12.09.2008 7:57 pm

Best not to use the word "ideal" as you're going to start a nice argument that'll go nowhere. I subscribe to the training concepts personally, but calling it ideal here is like saying Heisig in the best way to learn Kanji.

The youtube links unfortunately are from an off the cuff interview. There is strong language (NSFW?) and the interviewer, well, comes off as a moron in my opinion. Probably a nice, intelligent guy in real life though.
nukemarine

Postby furrykef » Tue 12.09.2008 9:53 pm

I think his method is certainly not a bad one, but I don't think it's the One True Way. It may well be one of the fastest ways, but it's also one of the most difficult (not counting totally wrongheaded methods like learning kanji by writing each one 1000 times), so there's a definite tradeoff there.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nukemarine » Wed 01.28.2009 4:52 am

Should be safe for work. Here's Khatzumoto, author of the AJATT blog, discussing learning Japanese in Japanese.

http://de.youtube.com/user/Khatzumoto

Since he never bothered to learn grammar nor took a class about Japanese, I guess the level of Japanese is JLPT 4.
nukemarine

Postby furrykef » Wed 01.28.2009 5:00 am

nukemarine wrote:Since he never bothered to learn grammar nor took a class about Japanese, I guess the level of Japanese is JLPT 4.

...huh?
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Postby nukemarine » Wed 01.28.2009 5:11 am

furrykef wrote:
nukemarine wrote:Since he never bothered to learn grammar nor took a class about Japanese, I guess the level of Japanese is JLPT 4.

...huh?

Sarcastic commentary on arguments about the importance of learning grammar above all else.
nukemarine

Postby Garappachi » Wed 01.28.2009 7:36 am

As for the video, I think that he is at least a top-notch speaker of Japanese in casual conversations.
如何にも今時の若者らしい会話です。好感が持てました。^O^
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby keatonatron » Wed 01.28.2009 8:30 am

nukemarine wrote:Sarcastic commentary on arguments about the importance of learning grammar above all else.

Obviously he did learn grammar, because he's not trying to say things like 私好き日本でも言葉難しいだ。

Even if he didn't sit down and read through a book on Japanese grammar, he did learn grammar--even to a point where he can tell you what is correct grammar and what isn't. In fact, I'm sure his practical knowledge of grammar is much stronger than his knowledge of kanji and perhaps even stronger than his listening comprehension.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Wed 01.28.2009 8:41 am

nukemarine wrote:Sarcastic commentary on arguments about the importance of learning grammar above all else.

Very dry sarcasm is always very obvious online.

;)
furrykef

Postby Sairana » Wed 01.28.2009 8:47 am

I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of the sarcasm, nor the cause for it.

To my knowledge, no one here has ever said the AJATT method wouldn't work. The only thing that gets hostility here is RTK.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby richvh » Wed 01.28.2009 9:05 am

The only gripe I have about AJATT is that he overuses kanji in his lessons - stuff like 居る, 此れ, and 其れ aren't normally in kanji.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.28.2009 9:38 am

furrykef wrote:

Very dry sarcasm is always very obvious online.

;)

I'm guilty of dry sarcasm all the time and it certainly doesn't translate online, believe me. (I notice your smiley....)
two_heads_talking

Postby nukemarine » Wed 01.28.2009 11:52 am

richvh wrote:The only gripe I have about AJATT is that he overuses kanji in his lessons - stuff like 居る, 此れ, and 其れ aren't normally in kanji.

To be fair, his site doesn't really do Japanese lessons anyway. People begged him for some sample sentences, and he provided maybe 60 and that was over a 18 months ago I think. This probably stems from his theory that you "teach" yourself by experiencing real Japanese all the time.

Also to be fair, I'm seeing random use of Kanji (as in sometimes in kana, sometimes not) in native material (blogs, songs, TV subtitles) which may mean even the argument "overuses" can be losing steam. Granted, it's been posted here previously this may be due to the ease of the IME. Japanese people don't need to know how to write a kanji now to use it. So 10 years ago it was very valid, but as time goes on more Japanese start using more and more of their kanji. Maybe more so as the kanji offers context.

So, is he overusing kanji or just replicating what he sees on the Japanese websites and blogs? Way above my pay grade to really say. Rich, what have you been noticing on the Japanese blogs and websites concerning this?
nukemarine

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 01.28.2009 12:10 pm

In my experience, 居る is somewhat common, 此れ and 其れ are quite rare. A lot of it has to do with what automatically comes up when you hit spacebar in the IME.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby richvh » Wed 01.28.2009 12:35 pm

It's the Dick and Jane episodes I'm referring to; I don't know about you, but I'd call them lessons.

I read light novels more than blogs, but I'd say 居る was uncommon, and 其れ and 此れ extremely rare.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion