Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Pimsleur

Pimsleur

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Pimsleur

Postby Kojiki » Wed 10.19.2005 2:49 pm

So I posted here a while ago trying to find methods to use in learning japanese. Mainly, which books I should be using ot study from. So someone mentioned pimsleur's Japanese course, but when i read it was several hundred dollars I disregarded it. Well recently I found it at my nearby major library and all I can is that it's fantastic. It -really- helps keep things memorized and you'll be able to use what you learn from the moment you finish the lesson. So go check out a local library or try some other methods (i'm sure you computer adepts can figure out the way to get a hold of them). Remember, though, that it's a auditory method of learning so it'll help you mainly with spoken elements of the language. From there you'll need to apply your own knowledge of the lettering systems and of kanjii to getting the written part down.
Purveyor of the classics:

The Tale of Genji (currently)
The Kojiki (next in line)
The Houshin Engi (if I can find an English or Modern Japanese translation)
Kojiki

RE: Pimsleur

Postby nprz » Wed 10.19.2005 3:19 pm

I agree, it is good for beginners. I didn't get a chance to use it until after I came back from Japan and even the most advanced lessons I could find were already too easy. So it can be a decent step in the right direction.
I couldn't get much progress on the Chinese one though. I kept getting frustrated and eventually stopped. I wish I had a Korean one because it seems like a much easier language to pick up then Chinese (and the writing system is a piece of cake)
nprz

Postby JoshMac » Fri 11.04.2005 8:10 am

*inocent whistle*

sorry
Last edited by JoshMac on Fri 11.04.2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Josh
JoshMac

Postby Qbe » Fri 11.04.2005 10:27 am

Thanks for advocating piracy and offering to further it, JoshMac.
Qbe

Postby JoshMac » Fri 11.04.2005 3:20 pm

I completely forgot sorry! i'll edit that
- Josh
JoshMac

Postby tsp_uk » Fri 11.04.2005 3:28 pm

Some people have said that the audios on Pimsleur makes you sound like an idiot if you tried speaking it, could anyone tell me why they said that?

Listening to the Chinese Mandarin Pimsleur, I'm assuming it's because the phrases used are unbelievably polite?
tsp_uk

Postby nprz » Fri 11.04.2005 3:37 pm

tsp_uk> exactly.
nprz

Postby tsp_uk » Fri 11.04.2005 5:20 pm

Hi nprz, I noticed that you said you wanted the Korean Pimsleurs as well, from what I hear from other members, Korean and Japanese are almost like twin languages and that most Koreans learn Japanese as it is easiest for them to pick up.
tsp_uk

Postby Qbe » Fri 11.04.2005 6:02 pm

Thanks JoshMac, and I apologize if I came across as harsh. I believe that the Pimsleur course is a quality product and that they deserve to be paid for it--even if they're paid by the library instead of by you.

Interesting question, tsp_uk: I've never heard any such thing said about the Pimsleur course. I've used all 3 levels of Pimsleur and have grilled my Japanese teacher on a lot of the content along with comparing it to textbooks. I've found only a few minor problems with the grammar and usage, and have had nothing but compliments on the Japanese I learned from the course. For someone who's self-studying, it's a good way to go.
Qbe

Postby tsp_uk » Fri 11.04.2005 6:30 pm

Hi Qbe, sorry I didn't mean it in that way, but I think that's what I read from other members.
tsp_uk

Postby nprz » Fri 11.04.2005 7:48 pm

tsp_uk> Yes, Korean and Japanese are grammatically similar with SOV, and both have honorifics. They both usually do not have a consonant that is not followed by a vowel. Some words have the origins.

But to me I can't understand the pronunciation of Korean at all, so I would think Japanese would have to learn this as well. Japanese pronunciation on the other hand is probably simpler than Korean. The writing systems are also different.

I'd just like to listen to the pimsleur so that I could at least start to understand the pronunciation of words.
nprz

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips