Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - trains in japan

trains in japan

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: trains in japan

Postby gabi in japan » Wed 12.10.2008 4:02 am

Ok, ok, stick to the jolly trains would you! I think it might be time to get back on the subject!!! Oh, and thanks for the tips Mr. Cash and two heads!!!
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Native language: Aussie! (Australian)

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 12.10.2008 8:29 am

nukemarine wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:
nukemarine wrote:Please,

Next you'll be saying 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" with a link to a photo of horse in a river with a word bubble complaining about how thirsty he is.

Should I take that to mean you believe teaching can take place when there is no learning going on?

Yep. Now if it's every student that's not learning, then there's something wrong with that curriculum and/or teacher.

So reduced to its basic elements, your post could be rewritten as:

"You're wrong, Mike. You're right, Mike."
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 12.10.2008 10:26 am

gabi in japan wrote:Ok, ok, stick to the jolly trains would you! I think it might be time to get back on the subject!!! Oh, and thanks for the tips Mr. Cash and two heads!!!

It's due to magnetism.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Wed 12.10.2008 7:12 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:It's due to magnetism.

I didn't think the maglev Shinkansen was in service yet.

gabi in japan-san, would you mind telling me which school in this fair state you attend?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby nukemarine » Wed 12.10.2008 8:04 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
nukemarine wrote:
Yep. Now if it's every student that's not learning, then there's something wrong with that curriculum and/or teacher.

So reduced to its basic elements, your post could be rewritten as:

"You're wrong, Mike. You're right, Mike."

No, it was more like "You're right, Mike. Here's a common saying with a humorous photo reference pointing out how you're right, Mike."

Make sure the thread flow went like this: Kid complained about the teaching system, and you point out he was resistant to use the punctuation his teachers were encouraging. That reminded me of the saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". The teachers were teaching proper punctuation (led the horse to water), but the kid resisted to use it (refused to drink).

You make a comment about teaching going on with no learning.

As a teacher, I had to teach toward the middle. We had to accept that we may get a student that refused to learned, then the failure was likely on them. However, if it gets noted that a larger number of students are refusing to learn (more likely not learning), then the failure likely was on the teacher. That was my thinking that teaching can go on with no learning (with being just one student), versus no teaching going on if many or all are not learning.

Ok, that went deeper than necessary. Point being, I did not disagree with you.
nukemarine

Postby gabi in japan » Thu 12.11.2008 12:34 am

chikara wrote:
gabi in japan-san, would you mind telling me which school in this fair state you attend?

Hi chikara-san! Another South Aussie!! Yay!!!

I'm kind of embarrassed to say :oops: but I go to Seaford school. You should know it since it doesn't have a real good reputation. The kids there are either feral or skank!! We have one really terrific teacher called Miss. Frank. She's the art teacher, but she might not be there next year.

I want to get out of that stinky school & go somewhere else or do home school.
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Postby chikara » Thu 12.11.2008 12:55 am

gabi in japan wrote:.... I'm kind of embarrassed to say :oops: but I go to Seaford school .....

At least you have some nice beaches down that way :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby gabi in japan » Thu 12.11.2008 2:53 am

chikara wrote:
gabi in japan wrote:.... I'm kind of embarrassed to say :oops: but I go to Seaford school .....

At least you have some nice beaches down that way :)

You're right there, Chikara-san! The Southern beaches are very appealing :lol:

The school is only a few minutes walk from my where I live, and that and the close proximity to the beach are the only good things about the school!!!
日本と日本語が大好き!!!
gabi in japan

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 12.11.2008 4:38 am

nukemarine wrote:
Make sure the thread flow went like this: Kid complained about the teaching system, and you point out he was resistant to use the punctuation his teachers were encouraging.

Our friend the OP is a young lady, I believe. And I never said a word about punctuation. I only wished for her to make use of the shift key. I seldom if ever comment on punctuation, that being something which is hard to get exactly "correct" as well as being something on which there is not universal agreement. But I believe we can all manage to begin our sentences with capital letters.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to learn that the OP is in fact possessed of rather good composition skills. I truly appreciate her making the effort to display them for us here.

You make a comment about teaching going on with no learning.

Teaching is the transmission of knowledge from one to another. Where there is no learning, there is no teaching. There can be sincere and valiant efforts at teaching in the absence of learning.

As a teacher, I had to teach toward the middle. We had to accept that we may get a student that refused to learned, then the failure was likely on them. However, if it gets noted that a larger number of students are refusing to learn (more likely not learning), then the failure likely was on the teacher. That was my thinking that teaching can go on with no learning (with being just one student), versus no teaching going on if many or all are not learning.

I agree with you on that, in the case of practical application. My larger point was that students who refuse to learn have to get their own act together first before they can make complaints of no teaching going on. And I agree on the point about the case when a larger number of students are not picking up what the teacher is laying down. I had a few teachers who when grading tests would not count against students for any question which everyone failed to answer correctly, reasoning that they had failed to teach the point in question adequately.

Veering back somewhat closer to the train topic for a moment:

I often take a break at work with my truck parked near shinkansen tracks. Even at distances of 50 meters or so, the passing of a train generates a considerable ground shock wave. My truck will be shaken (not stirred) by it in a manner similar to a small/moderate earthquake. Naturally, the energy to cause that comes from somewhere. No matter how you look at it, it has to be coming from the electricity used to move the train down the tracks. I can't help but wonder what portion of the energy goes toward propelling the train and what portion is inefficiently used in generating that earth disturbing, truck shaking rumble.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Previous

Return to General off topic