Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English-Japanese Lauguage Exchange

English-Japanese Lauguage Exchange

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Re: English-Japanese Language Exchange

Postby chikara » Tue 07.01.2008 10:39 pm

shinzou wrote:Note to all users: disregard this thread. Apparently, I'm full of fail.
I didn't catch that spelling error until just now. ><
Also, a note not to post threads while half awake..
:P

Don't take it hard. It is nothing personal :)

BTW, what do you mean by teaching "genuine" English?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby shinzou » Wed 07.02.2008 9:51 am

chikara wrote:Don't take it hard. It is nothing personal :)

BTW, what do you mean by teaching "genuine" English?

I mean, it's my native tongue, not a secondary language. Most people who learn English and have spoken it for many years still get some things wrong, especially when using idioms, and also sometimes words in the right/wrong context.
shinzou

Re: English-Japanese Lauguage Exchange

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.02.2008 10:12 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:this coming from the Australian? lol.. oh well. not even the English speak proper anymore..

I wasn't for a minute suggesting that I spoke "genuine" English but the flavour of English I speak, in business at least, is probably closer than a Canadian's. If the OP was to teach genuine English via textual means then my written English is the same as genuine English (although the content may contain some local colour) which, as I'm sure you realise, is quite different from North American written English :)
:

you do realize that I was just pulling your leg right? To me, with a few crazy dialectual differences, English is English. The main difference of course is the accent.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Wed 07.02.2008 11:32 am

shinzou wrote:Note to all users: disregard this thread. Apparently, I'm full of fail.
I didn't catch that spelling error until just now. ><
Also, a note not to post threads while half awake..
:P

That's what we're here for. Poking each other full of holes until the fail drains out. It's all meant well.
Wakannai

Postby shinzou » Wed 07.02.2008 9:11 pm

Wakannai wrote:That's what we're here for. Poking each other full of holes until the fail drains out. It's all meant well.

I know, just playing along with the whole scheme of things. :P
shinzou

Postby chikara » Wed 07.02.2008 9:17 pm

shinzou wrote:I mean, it's my native tongue, not a secondary language. Most people who learn English and have spoken it for many years still get some things wrong, especially when using idioms, and also sometimes words in the right/wrong context.

I am also a native English speaker and have been speaking English since long before you were born but my use of idioms and words in context is likely to be quite different than yours. As two_heads_talking-san has pointed out there is probably no one who actually speaks "genuine" English.

two_heads_talking wrote:you do realize that I was just pulling your leg right? ....

Yes, but I thought you were also pointing out, quite correctly, that Australian English is not "genuine" English :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby spin13 » Thu 07.03.2008 1:03 am

chikara wrote:As two_heads_talking-san has pointed out there is probably no one who actually speaks "genuine" English.

Wait, I thought Josh and Tony knew Old English? It doesn't get more genuine that than, right?
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby chikara » Thu 07.03.2008 2:20 am

Most noble spin13 I pray thou tell us how dost they speaketh
chikara

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.03.2008 3:37 am

spin13 wrote:
chikara wrote:As two_heads_talking-san has pointed out there is probably no one who actually speaks "genuine" English.

Wait, I thought Josh and Tony knew Old English? It doesn't get more genuine that than, right?

Ic spræce Angel-sax. Spræcest ðu þæt?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby richvh » Thu 07.03.2008 4:20 am

chikara wrote:I am also a native English speaker and have been speaking English since long before you were born but my use of idioms and words in context is likely to be quite different than yours. As two_heads_talking-san has pointed out there is probably no one who actually speaks "genuine" English.

Oh, I don't know... isn't whatever Bessy Windsor speaks the genuine Queen's English pretty much by definition?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby chikara » Thu 07.03.2008 8:57 am

AJBryant wrote:Ic spræce Angel-sax. Spræcest ðu þæt?

Not only can Tony-san speak it but he can write it 8)

richvh wrote:Oh, I don't know... isn't whatever Bessy Windsor speaks the genuine Queen's English pretty much by definition?

One would have to ask one's self if genuine English and genuine Queen's English are one and the same.

Pip pip old chap :)
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.03.2008 9:56 am

richvh wrote:
chikara wrote:I am also a native English speaker and have been speaking English since long before you were born but my use of idioms and words in context is likely to be quite different than yours. As two_heads_talking-san has pointed out there is probably no one who actually speaks "genuine" English.

Oh, I don't know... isn't whatever Bessy Windsor speaks the genuine Queen's English pretty much by definition?

I believe by definition that only the Queen could speak "genuine" English. As they do call it the Queen's English no?

chikara wrote:Yes, but I thought you were also pointing out, quite correctly, that Australian English is not "genuine" English
That is true, but I wasn't trying to say that Australian is the only non "genuine" English. American and Canadian English equally suspect in its genuineness or lack thereof.
two_heads_talking

Postby okome » Thu 12.11.2008 11:01 am

★えいごばーじょん^^
ojamasimasu. m(--)m
Hello,everyone.I am Japanese.
I have some question to all native English speaker in here.
Have you ever had a exchange's friends?
I offered that in few days ago from a native English speaker.
When just after I read that message in my box, I thought it would be a great opportunity
because I wanted to learn English too.
But after I read this thread,I agree with someone's comment that it must be difficult to do it within a beginner's level.
The person who offered me is a beginner of Japanese.
Actually this is not a first time for me but it was a long time ago and he was not a native English speaker.
In that time,I had felt it is unfair because he asked me so many questions as soon as he understood a last question.
All of you here understand how Japanese is.The most of Japanese are conservative at least I may/might so.
(I have to try to change it myself to avoid a big loss.:-p)
So Please tell me about language exchange on your experience how it goes well for eachother.

By the way, That offered message was not from shinzou-san. :lol:

★にほんごばーじょん^^
お邪魔します。
みなさんこんにちは。私は日本人です。
ここにいる、ネイティブイングリッシュスピーカーの方に、質問です。
みなさんは、語学交換をされたことはありますか?
私は数日前に語学交換の申し出をネイティブイングリッシュスピーカーの方から受けました。
メッセージを読んだときは、私も英語を学びたいので、これはいい機会になると思いました。
だけど、このスレッドを読んで、どなたかのコメントに、「初心者レベルではエクスチェンジは難しい」と
あるのを見て同感しました。
私に申し出た人は、日本語初心者だそうです。
実は、語学交換は初めてではありませんが、ずいぶん前のことで、
又彼はネイティブイングリッシュスピーカーではありませんでした。
あの時は、彼が間髪入れずに沢山質問するので、不当に感じていました。
ここにいらっしゃる方々は日本人のことをよく解っていると思います。
概ね日本人は保守的ですよね。少なくとも私はそうでしたし、今もそうです。
損ばかりしない為にも、自分自身を変えようと思いますが。。。
ですので、よろしければ、ご自身の経験から、どうすればお互いにとって、
語学交換がうまくいくのか、悪くなるのか、教えてくれませんか?

因みに、この申し出は、shinzouさんからではありません。 :lol:
okome

Native language: japanese(日本語)

Postby richvh » Thu 12.11.2008 11:19 am

実は、初心者の日本語学習者は普通の日本人より同母語の日本語学習者の先輩か日本語の先生に教わったほうがいいと思います。特に、日本人や日本語学習者が両方初心者なら、連絡は無理ですね。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby okome » Thu 12.11.2008 12:40 pm

richvh wrote:実は、初心者の日本語学習者は普通の日本人より同母語の日本語学習者の先輩か日本語の先生に教わったほうがいいと思います。特に、日本人や日本語学習者が両方初心者なら、連絡は無理ですね。

richvh san
Thank you for your opinion.
I would like you to tell me the reason in detail why it is so.
Can this say that it is very reverse also for me who learn English?
But I think that language exchange kill two birds with one stone for each other and it is difficult to find out a teacher very good at Japanese and even though I could do it ,a tuition is also very high. :(
Your opinion is for only learning Japanese? It isn't for English?

I wonder why everyone can write Japanese well .How is everyone studying Japanese?
Does it come to be able to speak English if I also do the same thing as you do?
I am thinking seriously about that. :?
okome

Native language: japanese(日本語)

PreviousNext

Return to 英語の練習