Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How do Japanese view foreigners?

How do Japanese view foreigners?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: How do Japanese view foreigners?

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 12.09.2008 2:42 pm

Dehitay wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:dammit, and I thought this stupid thread was gonna die..

kind of like racism itself; should die, but never will

well as long as we put up with it, it won't die..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Re: RE: How do Japanese view foreigners?

Postby Kalas » Tue 12.09.2008 5:48 pm

Shoj_Blade wrote:
Chris Hart wrote:
Generally, when I read "some countries" I translate that to "some governments" as the government of a country NEVER represents the ideals of every individual in it.
Yeah I guess that's what I meant... North Korea is an example of what I meant, IIRC they don't allow foreigners at all/have deep disrespect towards them. At least from what I remembered from Social Studies last year.

i dun think thats true...maybe the government yes but the people themselves r really friendly. For example a korean game closed down and America made a international version, most Koreans joined and were really nice and cool. some even helped me with the game. they even took the time to learn english to communicate with us! first all i saw from them was stuff like

""""' or expressions, now there speaking english liked it was there first language! well...they ask a question now and then of some words but they r really friendly =)
Kalas

Re: RE: How do Japanese view foreigners?

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 12.09.2008 11:20 pm

Kalas wrote:i dun think thats true...maybe the government yes but the people themselves r really friendly. For example a korean game closed down and America made a international version, most Koreans joined and were really nice and cool. some even helped me with the game. they even took the time to learn english to communicate with us! first all i saw from them was stuff like

""""' or expressions, now there speaking english liked it was there first language! well...they ask a question now and then of some words but they r really friendly =)

Not to be a spelling-nazi, but may I suggest reading the posting guidelines ? As a native English speaker, paying a little more attention to spelling, punctuation, capitalization etc. will benefit this board's non-native speakers, as well as the (many) native speakers who are allergic to chatspeak.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 12.11.2008 11:00 am

this question never dies XD (others share my feelings i see)

Some people love foreigners, some people hate them. just like any other country.

I've never knowingly run into people here that hate me. Most of them just stare, mumble something about how im foreign or really pretty/amazing BECAUSE i'm foreign. haha

It's not a big deal. nothing to fret over........if you ask me. People from other countries come here often. I see a lot of half-japanese people.

If you're young and speak japanese well, you could just pretend you're half. (i do this sometimes. when i want people to leave me alone)

but because of media stars like Crystal Kay and..........gah what's his name?! Weinss? foreign looks are considered "automagic" beauty. (that's what my Japanese friends have told me anyway. haha) But i really feel it's just like anywhere else. You're different so people look at you, then they get over it and you just become normal.
chiisu321

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 12.11.2008 11:11 am

chiisu321 wrote:
If you're young and speak japanese well, you could just pretend you're half. (i do this sometimes. when i want people to leave me alone).

That never works when you are taller than 6 feet and blonde haired and blue eyed.. So, your analogy only works for a small selection of people..
two_heads_talking

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 12.11.2008 11:18 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
chiisu321 wrote:
If you're young and speak japanese well, you could just pretend you're half. (i do this sometimes. when i want people to leave me alone).

That never works when you are taller than 6 feet and blonde haired and blue eyed.. So, your analogy only works for a small selection of people..

.........weinss is blonde.......idk his height or his eye color, but i didn't even know he was half for the longest time.haha

You're right though.
I just happen to be short and have small eyes >_<
chiisu321

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 12.11.2008 11:53 pm

chiisu321 wrote:.........weinss is blonde.......idk his height or his eye color, but i didn't even know he was half for the longest time.haha

I've always been amused that he speaks no english. ;)

How do you spell his name in English, anyhow? is it Wentz? (which is what I always assumed)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hubika333 » Sun 12.14.2008 9:09 pm

I've done a Google search. Who is Weinss? or Wentz?

:?
hubika333

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 12.14.2008 10:38 pm

Eiji Wentz
You'd probably have better luck if you used Japanese Google.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan